Wiring my Nashville

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by moosie, Feb 22, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I apologize, I didn't delete my post quickly enough. I deleted instead of edited, because it was totally erroneous, and I didn't want some poor schlub to google it.

I had neglected to separate the bridge plate ground from the common. D'oh. Sounded "just like" the bridge pickup. Uh, yep. :lol:

2. moosie

OK, back again, this time with valid test results. In the earlier test, I neglected to separate the bridge from the bridge pickup common lead. When I flipped it so that neck was hard-grounded, it would short, because the neck positive would connect with the (always grounded) bridge common. All I heard was the bridge pickup, alone.

This time, I'm very certain of the wiring... And I notice ZERO tonal difference when the series order is switched. Zip. Nada. None.

Sorry, @Teleterr. Maybe with a different set of pickups... maybe...

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Weird.Thanks anyway.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Thanks again for your experimenting. I m assuming you're sure it's wired correctly the second time. I know having made one mistake that sometimes leads to another. Like I jinx myself. But anyway, try it w a Humbucker and a single if you get the chance. I have shown this to friends, and they hear it no problem.Now I m wondering if it's my hook up that's amplifing the difference. I generally use a homemade 32 db gain op- amp booster before my tube amps so maybe the slight difference becomes a great difference as the signal is cruelly distorted. Unfortunately I don t have any guitars w both way wiring at the moment since I generally listen first w alligator clips then wire my favorite of the 2. I ll have to do what you did and see if it's still there clean. Oh if it's still available, try it w a Ratt or other heavy distortion.

moosie likes this.
  5. moosie

I really am very certain of the wiring. The theory (the diagram I posted) was correct, it was just a brain-fart in application of said theory. And because I messed up once, I checked REALLY carefully to make sure. (sorry)

The circuit is still available, in that at least for now it has it's own control plate, that I just pop out. I have eight or so "idea" harnesses floating around at the moment. I find giving them their own control plates is the easiest. (Thank goodness this isn't Strats).

I'll try it in my SH Tele when I get a chance. I only have the one. I'm pretty conservative in my Tele tastes - all these guitars, and the only deviations from single-single are one Nashville (a week old), and one with a HB neck (which I rarely play because I think I don't like the HB in the neck...)

There's a guy on y/t who demoed some guitar wiring, and he had made himself a stunning contraption. An enclosed, grounded chassis, with a nice faceplate, and rack of switches, and a few pots. Then he'd just plug pickup leads into the jacks or breadboard somewhere, and he'd be able to test darn near every possible thing, all back to back, real time. I keep thinking I ought to make one, it would ultimately save time.

Teleterr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.