1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wiring Mod for H-S Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GamblersCop, Oct 27, 2020.

1. GamblersCop

GamblersCop NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone,

Decade long lurker, first time poster. About 7 years ago I built a Richie Kotzen inspired tele and found this forum super helpful just browsing the existing posts. I now have a wiring idea that I can't find the answer to anywhere, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

Current setup:
    True single coil in the neck (twang king) and rail humbucker in the bridge (GFS lil puncher XL 10k). 3 Way switch with no coil splitting, position 2 is both pickups in parallel.

Proposed Mod:
    I would like to wire the 3-way switch the standard way using only one of the bridge coils, like a traditional tele. I would then like to add a mini-toggle switch to add the other bridge coil in series at any position.

I feel like this is a pretty straight forward wiring job, but I'm curious if anyone has any inputs for reasons this might not work (polarity, which coil to use, dumb idea). Originally, I wanted to add a switch to just split the bridge humbucker, but I really like the idea of a "more" switch that affects all 3 positions in a similar way.

Bonus question: if this mod is viable, could the mini toggle be swapped for a push-push pot?

Cheers everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.