1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wiring Mini-hum with 5-way switch??

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bender72, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

I've got a MIA Nashville B-Bender that I would like to put a mini-hum in the neck. Pickup selection, as it is now, is like this:

1 - Neck
    2 - Neck/Middle
    3 - Neck/Bridge
    4 - Middle/Bridge
    5 - Bridge

Bridge is a Sey D. 5/2, Middle is a Strat RWRP Sey D. Alnico 2, Neck is the Standard Tele Neck Pup

I want the same configuration and pickup selections, but would like to install the mini-hum in the neck. Can someone post a schematic of the wiring? or point me in the direction where I can get this info?

I tried the search function, but can't seem to get what I'm looking for.

I believe the Mini-hum has just two wires.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

On the Semour Duncan website, the mini-hum schematics show 5 conductors. Red, white, green black and bare. Black appears to be the signal, green the neutral, and bare is the ground wire. Red and white are tied together so you have a two wire output.

So, I think if you remove your existing single coil, put the black where you now have signal from the single coil, the green where you have the neutral, the bare where you have your existing ground and ther red and white connected together (and taped), you will be done.

If you only have two connectors from your single coil, put the bare and green together where you have your neutral now. Since a lot of teles use ground and neutral together, this should be OK.

That assumes you don't want to do any coil tapping and ae only looking at replacing the existing functions.

3. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

What brand/type mini HB do you have? The old original mini HB has a shielded coax, and so does the vintage See-more Drunken (stealing Fuzzy's lexicon...thank you very much). If it is the shielded coax, you simply connect the shield to ground, and the center conductor to the place on the switch where the neck PU was connected. The See-more Drunken SM-2 and SM-3s have the 4-conductor cable, and should be wired like scooteraz indicated.

4. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Terry,

I believe it is a Gibson Mini-hum that came out of a LP Deluxe I think. But it does have just the single sheilded wire. I'll double check tonight to see if it's different.

5. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

I checked the Mini-hum last night and it has just the single black center wire with the coax shielding wire on the outside.

So I would connect it just like the single coil right? Black to the same spot on the switch as the single coil and the shielded part to ground??

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Yes, that would be the ticket. Signal wire to where your old signal (hot) went, and coax shield to ground point.

7. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Thanks Scooter AZ.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.