Wiring microcoils to a 4 way switch...newb

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
I have a set of bill lawrence microcoils I will wire up with a tele 4 way switch. Newb that I am, I have this question:

In this diagram, would I wire the neck pickup with the blue wire to the switch (see arrow) and neck PU black to ground.
53DBD5B0-0145-494B-B150-D051F1604E04.jpeg

Since the neck PU has a plastic cover, I can’t ground that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx.
Jeff

peterg

Tele-Holic
Jeff

I don't know much about these pickups so I did a little digging.

From what I can tell the Wilde pickups have 3 wires - white, black and blue. White is hot so should be wired to the switch. Black and blue are grounds to should be soldered to the back of the volume pot.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
It's not a problem.. On the bridge MicroCiol pickup the black and the blue will go to ground .... and on the neck.. the blue is the same as the yellow wire on the normal pickups.. in your schematic, the "cover" is the same as the blue on the microcoil.

Rock on.. they are superb pickups..

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Jeff

I don't know much about these pickups so I did a little digging.

From what I can tell the Wilde pickups have 3 wires - white, black and blue. White is hot so should be wired to the switch. Black and blue are grounds to should be soldered to the back of the volume pot.
Yes Peter, with a 3 way switch that’s how I’ve hooked up Wilde pickups in the past...that is, white to switch, blue and black to ground. With this 4 way switch, I’m not sure if the blue from neck goes to the switch (arrow in schematic) or would go to ground.

Thanks for the reply.

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
It's not a problem.. On the bridge MicroCiol pickup the black and the blue will go to ground .... and on the neck.. the blue is the same as the yellow wire on the normal pickups.. in your schematic, the "cover" is the same as the blue on the microcoil.

Rock on.. they are superb pickups..
So to clarify Ron, would the blue from neck go to the switch or ground?

Thanks a bunch!

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
...and perhaps I’ve been fixating on neck PU black to ground when black goes to the switch? If so...my bad in my interpretation.

And yes Ron, I’ve heard these pickups are really good. I’ve had a few builds with Bill and Becky’s keystones and one with L-202TN/L-48TL and they sound terrific as well. So I’m looking forward to taking these micro coils for a spin.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
from the neck pup, the Blue would go to ground.. just like the yellow in a normal setup would.. the black and white are wired as shown in the layout...

r

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Got’r wired up, strung up, and played for the first time. Holy schmoli those microcoils sound fan-freakin-tastic!
Love the 4 way switch and tones. What a great combo!

This one’s been a labor of love.

We call him “T R Baker”...

my wife’s grandpa and the owner of the lawyers bookcase I made this fine gitfiddle out of.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here’s the back, an often overlooked part of the guitar that I see as opportunity for expression.
image.jpg