Wiring help

jdfoosh357

Tele-Holic
I ordered this custom wiring harness from Hoagland Custom and they aren’t returning my calls. I have two questions. I have basic soldering experience, but limited electrical experience. I don’t understand this diagram. Can you help?

1. There are 7 grounding symbols. How do I practically do this?

2. The diagram shows that on the output jack, the blue and green wires are wired to the same terminal. When I received the kit, the blue and green wires were soldered to separate terminals on the output jack. Is this ok? If so, how do I go about grounding the output jack?

🙏

jdfoosh357

Tele-Holic
Here’s the diagram. TIA.

Attachments

• DF872C45-3FA7-4C9B-88A6-18502EADB61D.jpeg
    DF872C45-3FA7-4C9B-88A6-18502EADB61D.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 36

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
On grounding, you idealy should choose a common point for ground and then provide enough surface or room to solder the ground wires there. The signal grounds are a more critical than shield grounds for maintaining this "star" ground arrangement, but they should all at least have a good connection to the common point.

For example, I've seen a number of pickguards where the pot cases are connected with a relatively thick bare wire, and then a single connection from the volume pot to the common point.

I've taken to adding a small rectangle of copperclad board beside the volume pot for this, rather than soldering a large number of wires to the pot's case. Another option is to add a screw lug, which can be screwed into the body.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
The standard practice is to solder most to the back of one of the pots. Make sure you have a hot iron otherwise you'll slow cook the pot.

jdfoosh357

Tele-Holic
So in the diagram above, I should wire all three pickups to the case of the first volume pot. What about the 2nd volume pot? Then i run a wire from the volume pot to where exactly? How do I ground the output jack?

I just need someone to tell me exactly what to do haha. I figured this would be relatively easy since I’ve done standard wiring before, but this Mason wiring is throwing me for a loop. Thanks for everyone’s input this far. I am in over my head…help me dig out :))

jdfoosh357

Tele-Holic
Or all the pots already grounded together since they are in a metal plate (as some threads suggest)? All I know is when I plug in my guitar it buzzes like hell and I know it’s a ground problem.

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've drawn in the ground leads in green... Does this help, or is it just more confusing?

1662681673037.png

You can see why the "christmas tree" symbol for ground connections are used to keep the drawing uncluttered.

Yes, there are two leads to the hot side of the output jack - one from the master volume (for the neck and bridge pickups), and one to enable the middle pickup via the p/p. P/P IN, no middle pickup; p/p PULLED adds the middle pickup to the output.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
This is a version I worked up a while back. The push pull operation is down middle pickup on, up middle pickup off.. The pickup ground wires solder point is on the master volume and the middle pickup switched wire (green on the above diagram) is soldered to the master volume output lug not the output jack. The tone pot and capacitor are slightly different but operation is the same. The 3 pot cases are linked with a ground wire which is really insurance as the control plate serves the same function.

Tele_Nashville_'Brent_Mason'.jpg

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Re ground soldering... as long as they all connect together (and ultimately to the collar of the output jack), you're fine. The ground symbols eliminate clutter, and also signify that the actual connection of each wire on the common side of the circuit is unimportant.

Here are a couple of my Brent diagrams, for what it's worth...

Brent Mason circuit, middle pickup split

Brent Mason circuit, middle pickup series / parallel

jdfoosh357

Tele-Holic
So i
I've drawn in the ground leads in green... Does this help, or is it just more confusing?

View attachment 1026370

You can see why the "christmas tree" symbol for ground connections are used to keep the drawing uncluttered.

Yes, there are two leads to the hot side of the output jack - one from the master volume (for the neck and bridge pickups), and one to enable the middle pickup via the p/p. P/P IN, no middle pickup; p/p PULLED adds the middle pickup to the output.
I wired up as described in this diagram, and I get a buzz. If I touch the bridge plate or neck pickup it goes away. What should I do now?

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
All guitars - even with humbuckers - can buzz, and if they are wired correctly, touching a grounded metal piece can attenuate or even eliminate that buzz. Most guitars run a ground lead to the bridge where it will have continuity with the strings, so that as long as you are touching the strings, you will get that attenuation.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
You could try shielding the cavity if the buzz is more than you can stand.

I shield all of my guitars with copper foil on the pickguard and .0028" copper sheet in the cavity. Be sure that all the sheeting is connected (I run a couple wires to connect the neck cavity and control cavity and bridge cavity on a tele) and then connect the whole thing to ground.

I make the sheet a little taller than it needs to be in the sides so I can fold the top edge over. This serves a couple purposes. The flange you create by folding the top over will make a good connection to the foil on the pickguard and ground all of that foil. And it helps keep the copper sheet flush up against the cavity making it easy to get your parts in and out.
20210301_223130.jpg
20210301_195627.jpg
20210301_180814.jpg