Wiring help

buckfever1455

TDPRI Member
I'm working on a project guitar.
The tell has a humbucker in the neck position. I'm replacing it with a p90.
The humbucker has 1 white wire going to the switch & 1 necked ground wire going to the pot. The p90 has only 1 wire with the braid on the outside. From what I'm reading the braid is the ground.
My confusion is where does either of the go. Back like the humbucker or both on the pot. This is my first time ever in the guts of a guitar, so I'm lost. Attaching pick of the current wiring of humbucker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-153137.png
    Screenshot_20220122-153137.png
    1 MB · Views: 20

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, the braid is the ground. Solder to back of pot...solder the hot of P90 where hot of bucker was. Easy Peasy! Good luck

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
There are several ways to do this. The simplest is to push the braid back, lay it on the pre-tinned pot back, and tack it in place. Attach the core/signal wire to to where it needs to go.

pu+ground.jpg

buckfever1455

TDPRI Member
In your photo you have the hot and the ground ( braid) on the pot. Look at the pick I posted of the humbucker. The white wire is on the switch, the ground is on the pot. Do I not put the hot from the p90 back on the switch.?????
The reply from BB if I understand is saying put hot back on switch ground on pot.
your saying both on pot. I think I need clarification !!!!!!

buckfever1455

TDPRI Member
Yes, the braid is the ground. Solder to back of pot...solder the hot of P90 where hot of bucker was. Easy Peasy! Good luck
Need clarification , read my reply to peegoo.
Thank y'all for trying to help. And sorry for being dump about it.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If you need to separate the leads, attaching hot to switch, and ground elsewhere, then you're better off picking apart the braid, about a half inch back, so you can then twist it into a short wire. Splice a new length of wire to this, by bending both wires to look like the letter J. Hook the Js over each other. Solder. Cover with heat shrink tubing, or if necessary, tape. Now you have something like the pic below. Mine looks different because there was a layer of insulation over the coax braid, but it's the same result.

The reason you always see it like Peegoo shows, is because that is Gibson wiring, which is usually V-V-T-T, and the pickup lead goes to the POT, and then the SWITCH. With a master vol, like on a Fender, it's the other way 'round, and at the switch you don't have a convenient shell to ground to.

Coax shield splice.jpg

buckfever1455

TDPRI Member
Thank you! I think I understand. I'm putting my hot ( center wire) of the p90 back on the switch. And the braid will be grounded back on the pot.