Wiring help request - 2 HB, 2 DPDT, 2 Tone, 1 3-way, 1 Volume

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TomBrokaw, Jun 17, 2021.

1. TomBrokaw

TomBrokaw TDPRI Member

Electrical circuits are not intuitive to me, so I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance.

As the title suggests, I've got two 4-conductor humbuckers. I will be running them each to a DPDT on-on-on mini-switch to allow series-single-parallel. I also will be using individual tone pots. A single/master volume is sufficient; I'd have done individual volumes but there wasn't room in the control cavity.

Seymour Duncan has a nice drawing of DPDT switch wiring, so I think I'm good there.

Next they'll go to individual, no-load tone pots, and that should be pretty straight forward, but maybe not. Which lugs or does it matter?

From the tone pots to a "standard" three way switch - not sure what this would look like - and then from there to the volume.

So my questions are:
    Which tone lugs to use?
    What would the connection from the individual tones to the 3-way look like?
    What would the ground wiring look like?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

2HB, 3 Way Blade Switch, 2DPDT on/on/on, 2 Tone, 1 Vol.

Ground all pots, Bridge, Shielding.
    (Back of pots shown)
    DSCN1496.JPG

TomBrokaw, bebopbrain and Billy3 like this.
  3. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Check out guitar electronics. I used one of their diagrams for a knockoff Les Paul but it has 1 tone two Volumes with 2 on,on,on switches for parallel, split, series with a Les Paul style three way toggle. I don't know. Might be help.

TomBrokaw likes this.
  4. TomBrokaw

TomBrokaw TDPRI Member

@Lowerleftcoast, thanks very much! I was expecting a verbal explanation but you took the time to draw a picture! I really appreciate that. I realized after the fact that I was referring to a 3-way toggle switch, but I expect to be able to adapt that to your drawing.

For grounding the pots, I'm thinking I'd run a wire from the NT to the BT to the V, and then the wire to the bridge would also get soldered onto the V. Is that correct?

@Billy3, I actually got all the parts from there, and checked out their diagrams. They have diagrams that are close to what I need, but if something goes wrong, I don't trust my ability to troubleshoot my amateur adaptation. I'd rather get it right the first time. They do custom diagrams, too, but I didn't want to pay $35 for one.

5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I am faster drawing a picture than typing one thousand words. hah!

The bridge can be grounded to the closest pot (or other good ground). Remember to ground the jack.;)

6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

The Seymour Duncan Triple Shot is a very neat alternative.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.