1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wiring Help Please!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by spayne99, Jan 17, 2021.

1. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I've got a used Tele here that I'm rehabbing a bit. Its a 60th Anniversary, the one with the blonde thin skin lacquer. When I opened it up I discovered it has a Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack Neck pickup STK-T1N, and a BG-1400 bridge pickup.

I might go with more traditional pickups but for now I'm gonna give these a try. I ordered a Mojo Tone standard (3 way) solderless harness and I want to wire the pickups to it.

Right now it still has the existing wiring and this is what I see...

Neck pickup
    - in the body cavity there's red/white vinyl wires combined together and taped
    - white cloth wire to the switch
    - black cloth wire to the volume pot

Bridge pickup
    - black cloth wire to the body ground
    - red and white vinyl wires combined together and taped
    - green vinyl wire to volume
    - black vinyl wire to switch

The existing pots are 500k and there's a 33 cap. The Mojo Tone harness has 250k pots and a 47 cap. Maybe not ideal for the existing pickups but fine for now since I may switch to traditional pickups later.

The instructions show the pickup wiring to the Mojo Tone 6 hole harness connection point as...
    - 1 Neck pickup hot
    - G neck pickup ground
    - 2 bridge pickup hot
    - G bridge pickup ground
    - 3 input jack hot
    - G input jack ground
    And the bridge ground connects to the volume pot via a screw

I want to make sure I get this right. Based on the wires coming from the pickuos I outlined above can you confirm where they go on the Mojo Tone connection point?

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am trying to figure out where the CLOTH pup wires originate. The originals pup wires are all vinyl, correct? You should track down the cloth wires to see where they originate at the pup. Then either replace them with the proper color or just MARK them somehow so you know to what color they correspond if they are not the same color. A wrap or two of colored vinyl tape will work.

Then, the S/D site should be able to help with what the original pup wires are - hot, ground, etc.

3. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I took the pick guard and bridge off to get a closer look. Turns out that whoever did the pickup install used the cloth wiring as extensions to the green and black wires on the neck pickup. All good now... actually since I had it all apart I just decided to yank the pickups out and ordered some Original Vintage pups LOL.

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am using a set of those and like them a lot! Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.