Wiring help please - separate vol and tone bypasses

cowie86

Tele-Meister
Hi all

I've been searching for ages and can't find a solution to this. Basically I'd like to know how I can wire 2 push pull pots so that when I pull the volume knob it bypasses only the volume and when I pull the tone knob it bypasses only the tone.

Is this even possible? I don't think there's a diagram or description online because I've searched everywhere. I'm hoping someone knows how to do this because I'm at my wits end.

Thanks in advance to anyone with the knowledge!

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
- delete, idea won't work...

Actually maybe it will. Here is the standard wiring diagram for a tele.

2000_2.gif

Take a jumper with alligator clips and jump between the center terminal on the volume pot and the one that comes from the switch (basically paralleling the 0.001uF cap). That should take the volume pot out of the circuit and put the output of the pups directly to the jack.

If that works replace the jumper with your switch on the vol pot. Turning the volume pot all the way down may kill it however.

The tone is a little trickier. If you jump from middle to bottom terminal it should be fully rolled off (like the pot was fully CCW). I think you will need to break the 0.047 uF cap connection to the pot - that would involve using a normally closed contact on that switch

Test with jumpers because I'm shooting in the dark

Last edited:

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
That sounds like an interesting idea!!

Excited to see a diagram for that. Someone can surely help. If not I'll see if I can draw something up when I have some free time.

DavidP

Friend of Leo's
You can easily bypass the tone with a no-load pot that takes it out of the circuit when maxxed out. Either buy one with a detent or DIY in 10 minutes (just search for no load pot mod).
Dunno off the top of my head about volume...

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I've been searching for ages and can't find a solution to this.

This should work.

This uses DPDT switches on the pots, which are the most common. But you could do it with SPDT switched pots if you can find them, because you need only a single pole on the switch. An SPDT is 'half a DPDT switch'.

Also, you can flip the function ("normal" up/pulled or "normal" down/pushed) by reversing the connections on the DPDT switch. The best way to determine what will serve you best here is to consider the mode of operation you'll use for most of your playing; you want that to be the down position because it keeps the knobs more out of your way when playing.

This diagram assumes you've already connected your pickups to the 3-way selector switch. The signal from the 3-way switch runs to the vol pot's DPDT switch center terminal.

Please feel free to check my work. I didn't know there'd be math questions today :cool:

Click on the pic to enlargenate it.

EDITED: The original diagram had a goof in it: ME! See the rest of the thread for the correction. Thanks peterg!

Defeatable-Volume-and-Tone-BAD-INFO.jpg

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
To provide a bit more info by way of explanation...

Both controls are completely independent of each other.

The volume pot is completely bypassed with the knob pushed in, and the signal runs directly from the switch to the output jack. The position of the pot has no effect on the signal when the DPDT switch is in bypass mode.

A tone control is a variable frequency filter that drains highs from the signal to ground. The signal itself does not pass through the tone pot; rather, the pot acts as a variable resistor to control the amount of capacitance presented to the signal. To remove the tone control from the circuit, all that's necessary is to break the connection between the volume and the tone pots (tabs A and C in the diagram). That's what happens when the tone knob is pushed in. When pulled up, the tone control will still work whether the volume pot is engaged or defeated.

Last edited:

cowie86

Tele-Meister
To provide a bit more info by way of explanation...

Both controls are completely independent of each other.

The volume pot is completely bypassed with the knob pushed in, and the signal runs directly from the switch to the output jack. The position of the pot has no effect on the signal when the DPDT switch is in bypass mode.

A tone control is a variable frequency filter that drains highs from the signal to ground. The signal itself does not pass through the tone pot; rather, the pot acts as a variable resistor to control the amount of capacitance presented to the signal. To remove the tone control from the circuit, all that's necessary is to break the connection between the volume and the tone pots (tabs A and C in the diagram). That's what happens when the tone knob is pushed in. When pulled up, the tone control will still work whether the volume pot is engaged or defeated.
That's fantastic Peegoo, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and especially for producing such a clean and clear diagram. This has helped massively and made my day! All the best for your 2022!!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That's fantastic Peegoo, thanks so much

Cheers, cowie86. Happy 2022!

I re-read your OP and saw you specified pulling up to defeat the pots...so look below for that change. The "reverse the connections" advice in my post above was a bit too vague...even for me.

If any of you guys and gals see a goof in this diagram, please chime in. We are much smarter as a group than we are as a single peegoo o_O

EDITED: I updated this diagram per the discussion below. Thanks peterg!

Defeatable-Volume-and-Tone-REV-B.jpg

Last edited:

peterg

Tele-Meister
PeeGoo

If the volume pot is not engaged via the switch and the tone pot is engaged via the switch the tone pot will receive signal via the volume wiper to volume pot A tab. I think the tone would be affected by the position of the disengaged volume pot. Or maybe I haven’t recovered from NYE yet.

Solution:

Tone pot switch middle pole: change from “From A” to “From 3 Way”.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
PeeGoo

If the volume pot is not engaged via the switch and the tone pot is engaged via the switch the tone pot will receive signal via the volume wiper to volume pot A tab. I think the tone would be affected by the position of the disengaged volume pot. Or maybe I haven’t recovered from NYE yet.

Solution:

Tone pot switch middle pole: change from “From A” to “From 3 Way”.

BINGO! I updated the diagram to Rev B. Cheers and thank you good sir!

Geno

Last edited:

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Rev. B - Nope! You still have the resistive element from B to ground; it still functions as a volume pot. You must use the other half of the DPDT switch to lift the #3 terminal from ground.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I don't suppose to be an expert, but I think this would do it. At least I think so. I traced it all out in my head and couldn't find any mistakes.

With both pots down, everything works like normal. With the volume pot up, that signal goes directly to the jack, but also goes through the tone pot (that's the part I struggled with the most) with the tone pot up, the tone pot is bypassed and makes no difference where the volume pot is. And the selector switch works like normal. so if I'm right that should give you

Volume down/Tone down - Normal controls
Volume down/Tone up - Volume control, no tone

Volume up/Tone down - No volume control, tone control
Volume up/Tone up - no controls.

If anyone see an issue let me know and I can correct it and post a corrected diagram.

Telecaster Test.png

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I just throw in a mini toggle between the volume and tone pots for a blower switch. I does not get in the way. There's three hole control plates available online for like 15 bucks or you can just break out your drill. 'Straight to jack' is great to have in any position. And people will ask you, "What is that little doohicky thing right there?.And you will turn your face to them and smile.