Wiring heaters : Ideas about the metal rod method ?

Pat_rocks92

Tele-Meister
Hi

I just saw that FXamps uses a metal rod to wire its heaters. It looks cleaner and it seems to avoid hum issues.

D2C_5685-Modifier-2-Slide.jpg

Do you think that using a metal rod instead of wire for the heaters could affect the tone or the way an amplifier reacts/feels ?

Despite some advantages i can see some security drawbacks in the case the amp falls and the heater pins break...

I want to give it a try in my current build any thoughts and opinions about this method, or did anyone already tried it ?

Last edited:

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Heaters!
I get it.
It took me awhile.
Looks clean.
I don't know enough to know if there's a sonic advantage.
I once got a roll of thick... maybe 14ga... silver wire that an audiophile had been using for grounds.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Soldano uses that method…which makes me think that FX Amps got the idea from Soldano. Much of what I see there reminds me of the build in a Soldano…pre-BAD Soldano. I have not seen a BAD Soldano circuit.

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
Hi

I just saw that FXamps uses a metal rod to wire its heaters. It looks cleaner and it seems to avoid hum issues.

View attachment 1052331

Do you think that using a metal rod instead of wire for the heaters could affect the tone or the way an amplifier reacts/feels ?

Despite some advantages i can see some security drawbacks in the case the amp falls and the heater pins break...

I want to give it a try in my current build any thoughts and opinions about this method, or did anyone already tried it ?
I just spent 15 minutes admiring that photo…

Pat_rocks92

Tele-Meister
I just spent 15 minutes admiring that photo…
Yeah the guy is a french engeneer that got enough of his job left everything went to greece and now he builds amps as a living. The guys says he is nuts about order which we can clearly see in his amps.

they seem to sound good and are not that much expensive for the quality of build.

Sometimes your are tempted to buy just to reverse engeneer x)...

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
So, the novals are heated with DC. The power tubes heaters are wired
for AC. Cathode biased output. good looking amp….interesting.

Pat_rocks92

Tele-Meister
Soldano uses that method…which makes me think that FX Amps got the idea from Soldano. Much of what I see there reminds me of the build in a Soldano…pre-BAD Soldano. I have not seen a BAD Soldano circuit.
yeah you were right ! it's interesting that they used to shield some of the metal rods to avoid danger hazards.

003-5.jpg

dan40

Friend of Leo's
I'm am currently building a Soldano SLO from a kit that I purchased from C3 amps. It also uses the bare 18awg bus wire for the heaters and they power all of the tubes with AC voltage. It will be awhile before I can fire it up and test for any heater noise but many of these kits have been built with this method and most folks report that the amp is pretty quiet. The new Soldano's that are built by BAD do employ DC heaters on the preamp tubes so it's possible that they felt the need to do this to help keep filament noise at bay.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
If the heaters are far away from the audio bits why not. Old Fenders like Champs have one leg of the Noval heaters through the chassis, the other was a straight wire. The two I had were dead silent. Ditto Tweed amps.