Wiring for Telecaster

CRigmaster

TDPRI Member
What is the sound difference between these two standard telecaster wiring diagrams. Do they both sound the same? I wired my guitar using the dimarzio one. I have an area 61 in the neck and a rewound Jerry Donahue in the bridge. I checked and they are both in phase with each other. I used a youtubers technique by hooking pickup leads to a multimeter set for ohms and used a metal ruler laid across pickups. Both went up in number reading before returning to original value number. According to youtuber, that means they are in phase with each other. However, my middle position sounds out of phase. Any advice before I start disconnecting everything?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-220652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-220652_Chrome.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20211231-113546_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-113546_Samsung Notes.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 31

CRigmaster

TDPRI Member
I was hoping to avoid my embarrassing solder job. It's the same as the dimarzio diagram.

Attachments

• 20220111_155743.jpg
    20220111_155743.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 22

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
The Seymour Duncan diagram is the classic Fender style. The Dimarzio is nearly the same, but the Tone pot is connected to the center lug that all. In both diagrams everything is grounded to the volume pot. Tone caps are just soldered to different lugs that's all.

CRigmaster

TDPRI Member
The Seymour Duncan diagram is the classic Fender style. The Dimarzio is nearly the same, but the Tone pot is connected to the center lug that all. In both diagrams everything is grounded to the volume pot. Tone caps are just soldered to different lugs that's all.
So then my middle position sounding or being out of phase, doesn't have anything to do with the wiring given that both pickups are in phase with each other.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
So then my middle position sounding or being out of phase, doesn't have anything to do with the wiring given that both pickups are in phase with each other.
If they sound out of phase it is not because the volume wire goes to the middle tone pot lug instead of the end tone pot lug.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
If they sound out of phase it is not because the volume wire goes to the middle tone pot lug instead of the end tone pot lug.
Stick with the Seymour Duncan diagram. That's the one I always use. You can move the wires to the different lugs to see if that makes a difference or switch the wires on one of the pickups to see if you have a polarity issue. I don't think its much of a problem, I have had to do that a couple of time.

CRigmaster

TDPRI Member
Stick with the Seymour Duncan diagram. That's the one I always use. You can move the wires to the different lugs to see if that makes a difference or switch the wires on one of the pickups to see if you have a polarity issue. I don't think its much of a problem, I have had to do that a couple of time.
Thanks I am going to rewire it to the SD diagram. Does it matter that the area 61 is stacked for hum canceling?

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks I am going to rewire it to the SD diagram. Does it matter that the area 61 is stacked for hum canceling?
Just check to see if it is 2 or 4 wires, if 4 check the Dimarzio wire scheme to see which ones are the positive and ground wires. You may have to solder 2 together and tape them up.

CRigmaster

TDPRI Member
Just check to see if it is 2 or 4 wires, if 4 check the Dimarzio wire scheme to see which ones are the positive and ground wires. You may have to solder 2 together and tape them up.
Thanks ya I already did that. I appreciate the help.