Wiring for parallel instead of OOP

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by marcflores, Aug 12, 2019.

1. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I have a Reverend Eastsider T, and when you pull the tone pot in the middle position, it gives the pickups a honky out-of-phase sound and it diminishes the volume quite a bit. Would it be a fairly easy job to wire the guitar in such a way that makes the two pickups wired in parallel with the push/pull instead for a thicker sound?

I don’t know what Reverend was thinking. Maybe it was Pete Anderson’s request. But it sounds awful in that position.

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

If you mean wired in SERIES - not parallel, that's what the regular position is - the answer is YES.
    Here's a drawing I did recently for doing just that. Note that when pulled, in this scheme the SERIES combo overrides the 3-way, so that no matter where the 3-way is, pull for series and that's what you get. The 3-way will have no effect.

series-override pp.jpg

The Note that BOTH pickups' hot lead go here first, NOT to the 3-way. The 3-way is connected AFTER the p/p.

I assume that since the p/p is currently a phase switch, both the hot and negative leads from ONE of your pickups goes to it, which will simplify the change over to series. If it's the neck pup whose phase is reversed, just follow this drawing. IF you find that they have reversed the phase of the bridge pickup, just swap the labels "neck" and "bridge" in the drawing, and wire it that way. You should get the same result.

Let us know if this works for you.

marcflores, AAT65 and RoyBGood like this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Just as an aside - OOP in series sounds better than OOP in parallel. Fuller, without the volume drop. But it's the same sound after all, and if you don't like it one way you likely won't like it the other way. I can do without it myself.

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

FWIW, I agree, OOP on a guitar with only a master volume (not a volume for each pickup) is pretty thin. I do have the OOP/in Series option on all my Strats and Teles, I like it a lot as a solo voice. It really cuts through the mix with a little crunch or overdrive, I use it quite a bit. You could do this on a p/p as well.

The OP asked for a "thicker sound" - and that sez "series" to me.

5. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Ah yes. Series is what I meant. Thanks for the info.

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan of HOOP (half out of phase) less 'nasal' than OOP -- you just adding a capacitor to the circuit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.