Wiring for a mid boost kit on a Tele, 2 knobs only?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by KelvinS1965, May 8, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I recently fitted a mid boost kit to my Strat which I really like. I've noticed that there is are some Custom Shop Teles that have them fitted as well. However they only have 2 knobs (no concentric knobs to 'hide' the extra tone), so I was wondering if anyone knew how they wire them up?

The '53 Custom Shop that I found advertised on GAK's website (UK shop in Brighton) says that the tone control is wired so that it 'act's as normal up to 1-10, but engages the boost at centre detent positon'.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-cus...-53-tele-journeyman-relic-white-blonde/924694

I had considered just leaving out the TBX tone control, so that I have master volume and the mid boost control. However, I've found with my Strat that being able to back off the mid boost and use some treble boost on the TBX gives a useful sound for cleaner playing, so perhaps if this could be achieved by some fixed circuit and a pull switch, then that would be enough to keep me happy. I don't want the visual clutter of adding a third knob or extra switches.

If anyone has suggestions, including information on where they fit the PCB I'd be very grateful. :)

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I found a few videos on Youtube with Paul Waller and the '53 Tele so I managed to glean a bit more info about the mid boost. I also found an older Guitarist magazine in my pile that had a small article about it. The PCB and battery goes under the pick guard, so I will have to route for that as there isn't enough room under the control panel.

I understand that the volume control (nearest the 3 way switch) is a double ganged pot (a bit like the TBX tone control). Up to the centre detent the mid boost is effectively at minimum, but the master volume goes from zero to max. Beyond the centre detent the master volume stays full up and the mid boost increases to it's maximum. I have a spare TBX tone knob, so I'm going to try some experiments with it to see if I can achieve the same result using the two combined pots.

I'm not clear if the tone control on this Tele is a TBX or a standard one (maybe 'Greasebucket' even), but I can experiment with that easy enough: The mid boost kit includes a TBX tone and I have plenty of spare pots and components for a 'Greasebucket' tone too.

I'll try to remember to update this thread once I've done this mod, perhaps with a short recording of the different tones, incase it is of use to anyone else: I was playing my mid boost modified Strat at our band rehearsals this week and it is so flexible with the different sounds, yet still allows the original tones if I want. I'm sure it will be great in a Tele too.

Geo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.