Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ratedepth, May 29, 2020.

1. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Hi. I'm trying to wire a Duo Sonic to match a Telecaster; parallel in the middle position. Just confirming that is what this diagram is indicating?

[​IMG]

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

It is.

ratedepth likes this.
  3. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Thank you!!

4. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Second part to the question...what’s going on with the wiring between the vol and tone pot? Wouldn’t the leftmost lugs usually be the ones bridged?

LutherBurger likes this.
  5. LutherBurger

I thought about mentioning that before, but I got lazy. You busted me. :)

That's "'50s wiring". It reduces the amount of treble loss when you turn down the volume knob, which is nice, but it also makes the two pots interact with each other in a way that will take some getting used to.

You can read people's thoughts about it by searching this site for:

"'50s wiring"
    "Fezz Parka mod"
    "Ted Greene mod"

6. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Haha, no busting from me. I'm very grateful for the reply. This is all paint by numbers for me, so I appreciate someone who knows what they're looking at.

As you suggested, I did some research. Came across this: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/29161-mod-garage-three-ways-to-wire-a-tone-pot

It doesn't mention the way I usually see things wired, with the tone cap with one leg on the center lug, the other ground to back of the tone pot?

7. LutherBurger

Just different paths to the same destination.

ratedepth likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here are TWO different tone circuits. The first shown is 50s wiring (as discussed above). All four variants function exactly the same.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 10.28.46 PM.png

And next, a regular tone circuit. Again, all four variants function exactly the same.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 10.28.36 PM.png

warrent and LutherBurger like this.
  9. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Nice. If I stare at these long enough, they do start to make sense.

Still a little confused why the ‘50s tone cap in the link I posted doesn’t show a ground connection, but maybe if I stare at it a little longer, that will make sense too lol.

Thanks for posting this visual. Really helps!

10. moosie

You could post a better diagram to make sure, but there is a ground connection. The wires are drawn very thin coming off the cap. One to the middle lug of the tone pot, and one to the ground point on the tone pot shell.

The way to think about the typical guitar tone circuit, whether 50s or not... it's simply a pot (variable resistor), and a cap (frequency filter), connected together in series. This pair runs parallel to the signal, meaning while the signal makes it's own way through the vol pot, and then to ground (and hot), the tone circuit tees off that, and makes a new path to ground. The order of the resistor and cap don't matter.

Pots can be wired two basic ways: rheostat and voltage divider. Volume pot is a voltage divider, using all three lugs. Don't worry about the nomenclature, understanding it won't make you a better player. Rheostat wiring uses two lugs, and is quite simple. As the pot is turned, the size of the resistor changes. It doesn't matter which way the pot is connected, as long as you use those two lugs. If you were to use the middle lug, and the other lug, the pot would work backwards, and resistance would decrease as you turn the pot up. It also wouldn't work very well, because guitar pots are usually audio or log taper. A pot is nothing more than a resistive carbon track and a metal 'wiper'. The middle lug is the wiper, and the outer lugs are either end of the track. The further the distance around the track from end lug to wiper, the greater the resistance. You can pry up the four tabs on a CTS pot and take it apart, and see the workings. You can also put it back together again. Very cool, old school low tech. :)

ratedepth likes this.
  11. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Oops, sorry. Wasn't clear. I didn't mean the drawing at the top. I meant how the tone cap didn't seem to have a leg to ground in the 50s wiring example in THIS LINK

12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Both the 50's and 60's wiring have the center lug of the tone pot connected to ground.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd want to mod that to have a 4-way blade switch ... then you'd get both pickups in series too. My favorite Tele mod.

14. moosie

In all those examples, one tone lug is grounded to the pot shell. It's implied the pot is grounded.

I avoid bending the lug and soldering to the shell. It's much harder to reuse a pot that way.

ratedepth likes this.
  15. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Right, I do see the pot is grounded...But I thought the tone cap itself needed one leg to ground to work properly. Is that mistaken?

16. moosie

No, as I explained in post #10, the tone circuit is a series pair consisting of resistor (pot) and cap. One end of the pair connects to signal (either before the volume pot, or after AKA 50s wiring). The other end connects to ground.

So, in the PG article, all the examples show signal --> (cap --> resistor) --> ground.

They could have been drawn as signal --> (resistor --> cap) --> ground.

I've said it before, I hate that article. It implies there's a functional difference between his so-called 'modern' and '60s'. Wiring a (tone) pot this way, it doesn't matter which way the signal travels through it. It's the same as if you physically turned the cap around, eg. no difference whatsoever.

ratedepth likes this.
  17. moosie

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 04.08.08 AM.png

ratedepth and BBQedIguana like this.
  18. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The tone circuit uses a cap to filter high frequencies to ground. The pot acts as a variable resistor to control how much of the high frequencies are removed. where you place that variable resistor doesn't matter (before or after the cap).
    Think of a garden hose, you can place a tap at the beginning of the hose or the end of the hose but the tap will still control the flow of water exactly the same in either position.

ratedepth and moosie like this.
  19. ratedepth

ratedepth TDPRI Member

Got it! Finally penetrated my thick skull lol.

1000x thanks for spending the time explaining and giving examples. Really generous...Cheers!

BBQedIguana and moosie like this.
  20. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

ratedepth, moosie and BBQedIguana like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.