1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wiring Diagram for Stereo Pickups

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by heyslowfinger, Dec 8, 2020.

1. heyslowfinger

heyslowfinger TDPRI Member

Hi All. Hoping to get some assistance with wiring a new Tele partscaster.
    Neck: P90
    Bridge: SC
    2 Knobs + 1 Concentric Knob (3 hole plate)

The idea is to have my Tele work in two ways: Mono & Stereo

Mono Mode - TS Cable
    • Works just like a normal Telecaster

Stereo Mode - TRS (Y cable)
    • Used for sending pickups to different amps (in my case, my Line 6 Helix).
    • When engaged, pickups go directly to the TRS output jack (Neck goes L, Bridge goes R)
    *If using TS cable, only Tip connected pickup would work due to ring connection being grounded by the cable

How would I go about wiring this?

SPDT switch (on-on) is my guess? Not sure where in the wiring chain this goes.
    Is it possible to set this up with a Push-Pull pot instead (to avoid making another hole)?

I'd like to have this exact setup found recently in a Ernie Ball Dustin Kenrue Signature model
    *Pictured Below

DK - Stereo Wiring.jpg

Diagrams or any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

the pickup output leads go to the center pins on a dpdt push/pull. the "A" side of each throw goes to the 3 way switch for the normal selection scheme (top diagram). the output of the 3 way goes to tone/volume and then to the normal pin on the jack

the "B" sides of each throw go straight to the jack pins

the pickups are either in one side of the dpdt or the the other, so 2 position, no center off

so.... no tone & volume for the stereo mode? adding another push/pull might make it possible to have a volume at least. there may be other ways to do this too. rotary switches can do a lot of things. or maybe get another pickguard to add another V pot for the stereo mode

3. heyslowfinger

Thank you @dogmeat for the walkthrough!
    I attempted a wiring diagram based on your instructions.

Any chance this looks correct?

Push
    = Normal
    Pull = Stereo
    *vice versa

TeleWiring.jpg

Additionally, if I wanted to incorporate my spare 3rd knob (regular or push/pull) for volume in stereo mode, how might I go about it with this scenario?

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

looks right. to make a V knob for the stereo you want a stacked pot that has 2 pots in one. that way each pup has it's own resistance. it can be a split pot with 2 knobs that adjust individually, or a single pot with one knob. if single, you may need to put a fixed resistor in the higher output pup to make the volume levels match (or just set the amps different). a guy could also put a trimmer pot on one pup & hide it under the plate. it would have to be between the mode switch and the jack

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Another way to go about it would be to use stacked volume and tone pots. You could wire each so that they go through a circuit more like an Esquire, one pickup to each wafer on the stacked pots and each wafer on the tone with a cap on each, and then combine or split at the end for the mono/stereo; this way you could keep the volume and tone function in either mode. If you have that spare pot there you could replace that with the switch, stacked pots won't have the push-pull.

6. heyslowfinger

You all have been very helpful! Ok, so playing around with idea #2.

Quick backstory: The artist using the signature Ernie Ball mentioned above, used to play a Telecaster.
    I am building a tribute guitar replicating his old telecaster model (which was actually a Variax transplant) BUT incorporating the features of the stereo capable Ernie Ball.

As you can see, the old Telecaster had a 3 knob configuration.
    Single / Stacked (with concentric knobs) / Single = 4 knobs total

DK Tele.PNG

My second configuration (unlike the previous wiring diagram I provided) is more inline with the old Telecaster setup (single/stacked/single).
    But just like the Ernie Ball model, the STEREO MODE switch would be located on the lower horn of the Tele pickguard (routing will be required). o_O

Tele Mockup.jpg

Is this new diagram wired correctly to control the volume for the stereo leads?

@Mr. Lumbergh - Don't think I'll need TONE in stereo mode, since each pickup's sound will be controlled with my Line 6 Helix.

Tele Wiring - Config 2.png
    *Alternatively, I suppose I could also do Volume Neck (stereo) --> Stacked Volume/Tone (normal) --> Volume Bridge (stereo)

Thanks all!

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

that should work. since each channel of the stereo output will have a volume control on the amp(s), the balance can be trimmed there. but, if there is some kind of volume discrepancy in stereo mode a guy could trim it with a resistor on the pot

also.... I'll offer another thought about making a hole for the wires to the horn. instead of a rout, drill through the horn, down the middle of the body to the control pit. plug the "show" side with a dowel. or maybe a KOOL brass button. just a thought

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.