wiring diagram differences?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dami11e, Nov 17, 2019.

1. dami11e

dami11e TDPRI Member

hi all

long-time lurker, and have found tons of useful information here over the years. i'm hoping you all will be willing to help out with a couple wiring questions of my own. i'm a noob, as they say, so go easy on me.

some back story/context before i get to the question... i bought my am. series tele new back in 1994. paid a local shop to switch out the original pickups for humbuckers shortly after. a handful of bands and 25 years later, i want to bring it back to spec. i recently got a new control plate from 920d for my birthday and i have the original pickups, so i wanted to get to work. i'm new to soldering/wiring. the original pickups have the original wires soldered to them still, so this process is much easier. and with that said, i'm finding myself with a couple questions i want to understand better before moving forward.

1) do pickups have designated "hot" and "ground" eyelet holes? if so, how does one tell which is which?
    2) how do i understand the differences between the two following diagrams?

according to fender's 3 way wiring diagram, the bridge pickup's yellow wire is hot and goes to the switch, while the black wire is the ground and goes to the volume pot. for the neck pickup, the white wire is hot and goes to the switch, while a shielded wire goes to the control plate/switch. these are consistent between the diagram and each of the physical, original pickups. (i'm basing their 'consistency' on the wire coloration, by the way, not on their physical connection.)

now, according to this fralin wiring diagram, the bridge pickup connections are consistent with the fender original diagram and the pickup itself--no issue there. but where i'm getting somewhat confused is with the neck pickup. according to the fralin diagram, the neck pickup sends what *should* be the hot wire (on the physical, original pickup) to the volume pot, while the grounded wire goes to the switch. WTF? why? i understand that hot wires should go to the switch and ground wires should go to pots, correct? what's going on here that i'm missing? see also this seymour duncan diagram--it's the same difference from the fender diagram. the 920d control plate diagram doesn't include pickup wiring--only where on the control plate the hot/ground wires should go.

in part, i think i'm getting confusing by the wire color inconsistency--i totally understand that wire doesn't care what color it is--i could use purple, pink, and neon green and it'd work properly as long as everything was wired up correctly. but mainly, i think my confusion here is coming from the eyelets--if the fender diagram is correct, then the neck pickup's left eyelet is the "hot" eyelet and should go to the switch, while the neck pickup's right eyelet is the grounded/shielded eyelet and should go to the pot. if this is correct, then why would the fralin/sd diagrams send these wires to the other locations?

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The anomoly is probably due to the fact that the pickups in the Fralin drawing are RWRP, Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity. That's why the bridge white and black wires are on different eyelets to the neck.
    This is done to reduce noise when pickups are connected together.

4. dami11e

dami11e TDPRI Member

thanks! i was wondering if that was the case. i seem to remember that the original single coils were also rwrp... but yeah, i can't say for sure since it's been 25 years since having them in.

now i'm wondering... if i were to mix up the hot/ground wiring if this is what would happen to me:

[​IMG]

5. dami11e

dami11e TDPRI Member

thanks for the note about the color coding "standards"! and also for the link--this is a great resource.

6. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

The grounds can go to any point that is grounded - pot back, shielding, switch ground ... whatever. As long as they are ultimately continuous with the output jack ground, it doesn't matter. Choose whatever ground point is the most convenient to solder to.

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Very few Fender Telecasters, and only just a few modern ones at that, come with RWRP.

In the 1st and 3rd selector positions it makes no difference. Single coil hum away. In the middle selector position, Fender guitars still hum.

Ahh, but if you RWRP one of the pickups, Ta-da! Hum cancelling.

And if you replace the three way switch with a four way, you can turn those two single coil pickups in to a wired-in-series hum-cancelling monster.

You have to be careful mix and matching Fender pickups.... For example their current Vintage 62's and Vintage 64's are wired with magnets the same direction (North up) but they are reverse wound. If you mix a 62 neck and 64 bridge together (or 64 neck and 62 bridge, either way) they will be out of phase.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.