1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

wiring channels on a capped telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jbyers, Feb 10, 2021.

1. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Alright so my body blank (3A quilted maple) is all glued up, and my 1/4" quilted top (5A chocolate quilt) came yesterday. I'm planning on rear routing it and using a pickup ring on the neck pickup, no pickguard or control plate. I was going to route wiring channels before I glue the top on, need to make sure I get it right. I came across some stuff regarding grounding of the whole endeavor and i'm in need of some clarity. I was planning on rough marking the bridge and neck pickup holes with my template and routing a 1/4' by 1/4' channel from the neck pickup to the control cavity and the bridge pickup to the control cavity. Will I be able to ground it that way? I was planning on using copper shielding in the pickup cavities and control cavity, I guess I need to connect these? I'm a little lost to be honest, and quite out of my element here. Any help is appreciated

2. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

A little eye candy, the chocolate quilt top is something special.

Attached Files:

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do wiring channel routes before capping. I'll suggest you go to 5/16" or slightly better just to make things easier to pass wires, etc., through. .25" can be tight in some cases. You can certainly coat the channels with conductive paint before installing the cap, too, if you are concerned with shielding. I've done that multiple times. Shielded cable is also an option.

And....eye candy...oh, my!!

4. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Yeah, it’s absolutely stunning. Even the 3A base will be pretty rad

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Les paul wiring channels are pretty wide. ( .5") If you are using multiple cloth covered or 4 wire pickups, then go up in size I'd do 3/8 for the ease of it.

catto.png

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  6. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Alright so, sounds like 5/16" wiring channels, and just from both pickups to the control cavity then? And figure out grounding after then? I just want to make sure I've got it sorted completely before I glue the top up. I don't need anything extra for grounding?

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.