Wiring access for semi-hollow

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Laren, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

Scratching my head here. How do I 'build' access in a semi-hollow, thin line for example, to run my wires when I want to put the selector. switch in the top half, LP position?

I'm working with 2 x soapbox P90s, a three way toggle and 1 x volume and tone.

Many thanks,
    Paj

It isn't built yet, only got this far,

IMG_20200923_170156.jpg

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Looking very neat so far!

I would just drill a channel between the neck pickup cavity to the upper half, and would run both pickups leads through it to the switch, then the leads back from the switch to the controls.
    Then have fun « fishing » ;)

EDIT: the channels should be large enough to accommodate both the switch and the pots.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

A real Thinline has a large opening under the pickguard, both sides of the central block on a Custom or Deluxe.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

photondev and dougstrum like this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Back panel access ... with cover, of course ...

Bigger the better...

Nobody will see it ...

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I routed a circular back access panel for the upper bout switch on my Tele Thinline. Combine this with appropriately sized side channels in the pickup routing and you’ll do well.

IME, fishing line/thread sucks for component install, unless that’s all that fits. I prefer vinyl tubing whenever possible.

7. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Cheers guys, idea coming together. Happy with rear access for the lower volume, tone pots but think I'll try to get away with feeding the switch through the f-hole. Well that's my latest thought. As you say route a channel like a Gibson before gluing the top.

Think. I'm going for this shape f-hole (rotate 90 deg anticlockwise),

fhole.jpg

Collin D Plonker and BorderRadio like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice! I went Cat’s eye with mine. It has a ‘69-style pickguard, so easy access. As mentioned, a circular access panel in the back for the toggle. Nothing goes through the sound hole.

7B70276B-BCC9-433B-885C-78D9B9A2FA6E.jpeg

jscud, rangercaster and Laren like this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The absolute easiest thing to accomplish since you can do it with your router before you cap the hollowed out main body component. Just run your router between point A and point B. The same applies for pickup wiring, too. There's zero need to use a drill bit later in the build with this kind of body format! It will be hidden under the cap. It's how I do it on the CNC and how I'd do it manually, too.

Laren and ctmullins like this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Even Gibson did that with the ES-333. It had a plastic back panel behind the controls. I have no clue what the panel screws went into.

rangercaster likes this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Yep. Rout the channel, and glue the top on.

Here's a chambered Les Paul blank.

[​IMG]

Pro tip: before you glue the top on, cut a 30" length of 30-lb Nylon monofilament (heavy fishin' line) and tie a little loop on each end. Lay it into the channel; tape one end near your switch location and the other end near your control cavity. When you're ready to wire it up, use the mono to pull your wires through. Why mono? Wood glue doesn't stick to it; if any gets on it during the glue up, the mono will release with a little tug.

Also: carefully plan the location of the channel, because if you drive a screw into a wire when attaching the bits and bobs to the front of the guitar, you'll have a bad day :(

Jim_in_PA and Laren like this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

As others have said, on a chambered guitar (which is what you are building) it is easiest to just make an access door on the back. On a true semi hollow body (or semi solid body, depending on your point of view) which in my book is a 335 style guitar the access is thru f-holes (if it has them) or a back panel on guitars like BB's Lucille.

One little trick that I employ when building a semi hollow is to do all the wiring while the back is off and then I leave the pots inside the guitar while I close the box and finish it. I tape the f-holes and all the component holes from the inside and run little pieces of string from the pots and switches thru the tape so I can pull them into place. Much easier than trying to fish everything thru a just finished guitar.

Chambered solid body with back access and top off

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

Semi hollow body getting prewired

IMG_3301.JPG

Holes masked, ready to close the box

IMG_3330.JPG

One other thing I do on semi hollow bodies is put a terminal strip in the pickup cavity. That way I can run the wire from the controls to the cavity an not have to try to solder the pickup after its all done. Makes it easy to change pups if I ever want to.

Jim_in_PA, Laren, Peegoo and 2 others like this.
  13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I do think you need access at the back of the pickup switch. It'll be a lot easier when it's time to wire it. I would mark out where the pickup cavities are then decide where you want to rout the channel(s) from the upper bout to the lower bout. I would rout instead of drill if it were me.

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Nice build. Have you considered placing the switch at the bottom?

SECU22SHVSV8-large.jpg

15. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Sorry don't have a pic but you'll get the idea. I've routed a channel from top left to bottom right as shown. It cuts across where the p90 routes will be. I'll try getting the switch in through the f-hole (sort of shown) in black. I'll have access in the back under the volume/tone knobs.

And yes, the bloody template moved.

temp.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  16. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Yes but it's for my brother I could change his mind but .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.