WIRING A TONE POT QUESTION.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I'm rewiring my 72 Custom RI (2 vol, 2 tone) this is my first attempt at a rewire.
I now have...

Neck: T-Armond pickup with a 500K volume pot (with treble bleed) and 500K no load tone pot.
Bridge: Starwood Tele pickup with a 250K volume pot (with treble bleed) and 250K no load tone pot.

A 3 way toggle switch (Switchcraft L) then going to my output jack.

I've shielded the guitar earthed the bridge plate, connected the cavities and have an earth wire to connect to the circuit in my control cavity:- it has been tested rigorously for continuity and is good to go.

I've bought some vintage cloth wire for pot connections.
Gibson style wire with the outer braid to connect the switch to the volume pots and output jack.
I also bought plenty shrink tubing in various sizes and lengths for the belt and braces approach.

I've spent the last few days brushing up on my long neglected soldering skills with my new soldering station and mini heat gun for shrink tubing.

I also bought the TBX tone pot but I'm abandoning that idea for the time being.

While it might sound like overkill on the purchasing, there is a whole lot of other jobs on other guitars, leads and boxes I'd like to try if I get this first job right.

Question:
I'm looking for a wiring diagram to proceed with and some suggestions for cap values.
Any suggestions welcome.

I tend to be a set and forget middle switch setting player for most of my playing and use a volume pedal.

Thanks in advance.

fretmeister

NEW MEMBER!
Attached is a wiring diagram that will work with the parts you described. I wouldn't bother with the tbx on this guitar personally until I had read this:
Which is a great resource!

Here is the standard advice: use a .022uF cap on the bridge and .047uF on the neck.
You can however, find many resources on the topic of tone caps! It is a topic which many people feel very strongly about. Do like this guy does and use some alligator clips to try out different values.

I like anything in the range of .010-.033uF, I would stick to the lower side of that range for a neck and reverse that for the bridge. You can find some "cocked wah" tones with lower value caps. I wouldn't go lower than .005uF just because I stop hearing the effect as much. I also think that the effect of the tone knob is more pronounced with your amp turned up but I couldn't say why.

Would using 500k pots for two knobs and 250k for the other affect the tone in the middle position?
Maybe someone with more knowledge than I can answer this question more precisely. But if you have 4 pots which are 500k in your guitar and are in the middle position, your pickups would be "seeing" an impedance of 2Mohms. Your parts would yield an impedance of 1.5Mohms in that position. I'll make the analogy of using a 250k pot with a Humbucker. The pickup would see less impedance than it should and would sound too dark. Vice versa a single coil with a 500k pot would be brighter than normal.
It probably wouldn't matter that much, maybe I'm not even using the term "impedance" correctly but I just thought I'd wonder aloud.
It sounds like you want to just learn more about guitar electronics, so have fun and experiment!

Attachments

• les-paul-guitar-wiring-schematic-wiring-diagram-for-2-humbuckers-2-tone-2-volume-3-way-switch-...jpg
    les-paul-guitar-wiring-schematic-wiring-diagram-for-2-humbuckers-2-tone-2-volume-3-way-switch-...jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 30

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Attached is a wiring diagram that will work with the parts you described. I wouldn't bother with the tbx on this guitar personally until I had read this:
Which is a great resource!

Here is the standard advice: use a .022uF cap on the bridge and .047uF on the neck.
You can however, find many resources on the topic of tone caps! It is a topic which many people feel very strongly about. Do like this guy does and use some alligator clips to try out different values.

I like anything in the range of .010-.033uF, I would stick to the lower side of that range for a neck and reverse that for the bridge. You can find some "cocked wah" tones with lower value caps. I wouldn't go lower than .005uF just because I stop hearing the effect as much. I also think that the effect of the tone knob is more pronounced with your amp turned up but I couldn't say why.

Would using 500k pots for two knobs and 250k for the other affect the tone in the middle position?
Maybe someone with more knowledge than I can answer this question more precisely. But if you have 4 pots which are 500k in your guitar and are in the middle position, your pickups would be "seeing" an impedance of 2Mohms. Your parts would yield an impedance of 1.5Mohms in that position. I'll make the analogy of using a 250k pot with a Humbucker. The pickup would see less impedance than it should and would sound too dark. Vice versa a single coil with a 500k pot would be brighter than normal.
It probably wouldn't matter that much, maybe I'm not even using the term "impedance" correctly but I just thought I'd wonder aloud.
It sounds like you want to just learn more about guitar electronics, so have fun and experiment!
Thanks!!! I'm grateful.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted

I would try it with test leads on the standard cap Fender uses (.022µf) and see if you like how it works like that.
Thanks for the link.
I've ended up reading quite a few of the pages on that Mod Garage site.
So far I found this as quite a clever idea, especially with there being quite a few connections for me to make with the 4 pots and toggle switch.

diy/mod-garage/grounding-passive-circuits-part-2
1661553368409.png
1661553405401.png