1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wireless systems

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scooteraz, Mar 16, 2021.

1. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

The thread (and TDPRI email) about the Line 6 G10 issue
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/wth-just-got-an-email-from-tdpri.1066121/
    got me to thinking about wireless systems. Years ago I got a Brace system that I liked quite a bit. But, not long after I got mine, they went out of business. I had to pull that one out recently, as I had a need to be more than 20 ft from my rig, and I didn’t want 80’ of cable. It worked, but it is getting a bit creaky....

I’ve thought about getting another system, but I want one that is reliable. So, what have any of you been using, when you use wireless? Pros and cons? Any issues with using the ones that are on the WIFI frequencies? Are any of the “Amazon” brands worth using? Of the less expensive units from Shure, et. al., which ones seem to work best?

I’ve done some research, but, folks here are to me, more trustworthy sources than random web sites and YouTube videos.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have both a NUX and an Xvive. Both work great.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+ xvive...pretty simple unless you have other people in band using it.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. scooteraz

Then what? I am looking for two systems that would be live together.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Looking for 2 independent systems (1 instrument and 1 for vocals) or (1 for musician 1 and 1 for musician #2)I have only used independently with no other band members using.

You can use with other musicians also, but, you have to be sure to change channel before each gig.

Is that what you mean?

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

How big are the stages you’re playing? Me personally, nothing sounds as good or is as reliable as a direct patch. Most definitely the case with IEMs. My Behringer headphone amp kicks the ass outta the sound coming from a Shure wireless unit.

7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have the Boss WL-20. Can't remember how long I've had it now. It works really well. Every once in a while I'll have problems with drop-outs, resyncing usually fixes it. Range is good for at least 35ft without it starting to cut out at all. Charge is good for more than a full 3 set gig.

My biggest complaint is the on switch is a little button that presses in when you plug it in. It won't usually work with an electro socket type jack cup unless you can get the threaded part of the jack to stick out more than it should (by removing the lock washer).

Mike M likes this.
  8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

By the way, I don't know how many of you guys have tried playing when your way out in front of the band and PA. It's a weird experience. The delay will throw your timing off, or at least, it throws my timing off.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have had the Digital Reference/Audio Technica for years.
    Digital Reference/Audio-Technica DR-3500 guitar wireless system.
    BULLETPROOF! TROUBLE FREE: no hiss, no interference, no problems with these. Not once, not ever. Old bars with bad wiring, outdoor concerts ....all good! I've never even had to switch channels.
    I bought these after hearing it used at a outdoor festival and managed to ask the guitar tech what type it was after seeing the guitarist wander around the crowd far from the stage!
    I'm not saying this to sell one, but I decided to sell my backup unit as I've never used it other than occasionally to make sure all is good.. Just lowered the price.
    https://reverb.com/item/38963794-digital-reference-3500-guitar-wireless-bulletproof

10. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I've had the Lekato 5.8 gig ones for a while now, and I really like them. Hold a charge for at least 3 hours, and I can charge them in the car on the way to the jam if I forget. The 5.8 frequency keeps you away from everybody's wifi, & devices, and it has 4 channels so it should be possible to have more than 1 going with no problems. I will definitely try it out at a gig, when those are a thing again. It's performed flawlessly at long jams.

I can't hear any difference between the wireless and a cable, but maybe somebody else could. I can use my EQ pedal to boost highs if I feel like they're being lost, but honestly, it sounds OK. And it's so nice to not be tripping over wires, and trying to keep from stepping on them, and getting tangled up, etc etc.

They're like $60, so it's worth trying.

11. scooteraz

It is not the size of the stage, it is the number of cables....Every Sunday I am playing at least two instruments from the same general location. Even with short cables, it can be a hassle and a trip hazard. The last time I knocked over my guitar stand with three instruments on it, I tripped on a lead cable. So, every method had ups and downs.

I used the Brace with a bass for a long time to avoid the extra cables. But then, the siren song of “better sound” (like anyone in the congregation notices.....LOL) brought me back to cables.

Last Sunday, we had to video a short song for a special announcement this week. It required us to be closer than normal, and I was pretty far from my spot, so I pulled out the Brace again and used it for that one thing. Got me to thinking about what I could do about the cables.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Gotcha. Yes, I hate long 1/4" cables. Any long cable. Gimme couplers any day. And please get one that won't catch fire.

13. scooteraz

Slightly worrisome that the issue was a firmware update....:eek:

14. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I've tried a lot of different wireless systems but I've not had much success once there are more than one being used on stage at a time.

I've gone back to using a cable cause I can't stand the drop outs and they always happen at the worse time.

Hope you find something.,

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I personally don't like rechargeable ones for gigging. Then I would need to add "make sure to charge battery" to my pre-gig checklist. Plus...what if I have 2 gigs in the same day...rare but does happen. I have the Line 6 G30. It runs for 5 or 6 hours on a pair of AA batteries, of which I have plenty in the equipment bag not to mention many more at the house for other gadgets.

16. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I totally agree with you. I buy a package of AA batteries at Costco (48 batteries I think) and keep them in my equipment bag. My bass player and I both have G30's and neither one of us have had drop outs and we can walk out 30-40 feet in front and still have a good signal. There are 6 channels to choose from with no crosstalk. We are both happy with ours. My only concern is with the X-mitter battery cover. Being plastic, it's a little delicate and I've heard people complain that they've had theirs break. We are both careful with ours and have been using them for at least 6 years now with no breakage.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've been using the Shure GLXD16 for about thirty gigs over the last 15 months with good results. In fact, it has never dropped out. The battery life is excellent at about 5 or 6 hours. We usually play a total of 2 5 hours at our shows The only issue I had was with one guitar with much higher output pickups than my others. I needed to reduce the preamp gain to avoid some compression.

I like that it integrates well on the pedal board, though a litle big for a pedal, and the tuner is very good. It has options for tuner muting or not. I wish it had a wired input just in case, so I could still use the tuner wired. It auto searches for quiet RF channels if you ask it to, and it has some channel grouping options to play nice with other systems. I purchased a velcro pouch, spare battery, cable and a small, hard clamshell case for it, too, but haven't needed to use any of the spares.

These gigs were indoors at first at brew pubs with about 50 to 100 people, then the rest have been outdoors at wineries and brewery/restaurants. (Yes, these folks are young enough to all have cell phones. :lol: )

Not cheap at about $450, but reliability was the primary requirement.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GLXD16G--shure-glxd16-digital-wireless-guitar-pedal-system

don_danapoint and northernguitar like this.
  18. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

Also a big user of the Shure GlxD16 with multiple guitars and transmitters. Never once had a drop out and I've done very large gigs with multitudes of wireless signals from cell phones to wifi routers and other band members using wireless systems. Baterry life is excellent for the transmitters. Once I forgot to charge one of my transmitters and I just hooked it up to my cell phone charger during a set break and boom did the the next hour set without a sweat. Is the unit expensive compared to cheaper units? No if you're a working musician that wants a truly reliable system that you depend on to get you thru shows and you're dependent on your rig to earn you your paycheck.

SRHmusic and northernguitar like this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its time to try this again, if only for sound checks. $300 system 10 years ago was unreliable. I read the Amazon models are actually very reliable now, but having a $40 dongle mixed with my nicer system, is a little like brown socks with black shoes. Never know when the gear police may drop in. My gear-fanatic buddy recommended the G10s, so one is on the way.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I bought these from Amazon and they work great around the house. I just use them for practicing but I've had no issues. They were about $40.

tempImageKZ6q58.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.