Wireless Microphones (NEW RULES)

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
So, since it is 2019, it sounds like certain wireless microphones
that are in the 600hz will be not allowed.

Does that mean they cannot sell those frequencies, or does it mean
you have a 'cease and decist' order on all those, or, they will not work.

Curious....I know a church that might have issues..and others

Old Tele man

Friend of Leo's
WHICH: 600HZ or 600KHz or 600MHz

FCC Notice:
"Wireless microphones that operate in the 600 MHz service band (the 617-652 MHz and 663-698 MHz frequencies) will be required to cease operation sort by no later than July 13, 2020, and may be required to cease operation sooner if they could cause interference to new wireless licensees that commence operations on their licensed spectrum in the 600 MHz service band."

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I think shure products were in the 600mz in their medium line.

Peregrino69

Tele-Afflicted
That's a "cease and desist", the devices themselves will work just fine. That's the problem.

The frequencies @Old Tele man lists are now reserved for wireless services, and devices which operate on that spectrum may cause interference to the services. Users that continue operating the reserved channels are risking fines, possibly loss of equipment. Understandable... when you're trying to dial 911 you don't appreciate if for example interference from the churches wireless microphones prevents your call...

To figure out whether or not someone will have problems just check whether they operate on those channels. Parts of the 600MHz band (such as below 608MHz) will be still available for operation. Here's the actual FCC notice which contains links to relevant documents:

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/wireless-microphones

EDIT

About checking if something operates on the to-be-closed channels... that isn't exactly as clear-cut as I made it sound up there. Radio equipment can easily bleed to neighboring channels causing what's known as "adjacent channel interference". The only way to check whether that's actually happening is a professional site survey with spectrum analyzer.

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
Find the chart of forbidden frequencies and compare to the frequencies of each channel on your wireless mic so see if there are any usable channels still.

My dad happened across 6 Wireless Microphone setups that went into the dumpster while he was taking his turn cleaning the church before meetings. I researched the frequencies that are now "outlawed" and frequencies of this particular model of microphone and it turns out that I can only use Channels 2,3 and 5 of the 10 channel Mic setup!

Still 6 free wireless setups isn't that bad, but I can only use 3 at a time. Unfortunately, guitar systems in the bunch.

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
I do believe that the FCC is outlawing frequency use. I know at least professionally you can get in trouble for using the older forbidden frequencies.
Whether they can find you and fine you, I cannot say. But I know it's having a notable impact in the professional wireless mic usage world (like craporate - sorry I meant corporate video - don't ask me how I know, lol)

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No one is listening anyway. Who does the FCC have to enforce it?

Paul in Colorado

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have an ancient Boss wireless guitar unit. I wonder what frequency it runs on? I haven't had it out of the box in years. I should probably check, but I'll bet it's no longer in spec.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
So if some one mistakenly keeps their old system will there possible chatter or noise on freq.