1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wireless earbuds for practice amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Novak, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Does anyone out there know of a simple (no bluetooth, soldering, amp mod, etc.) way to use wireless earbuds in conjunction with the headphone jack of a practice amp? I currently use a set of Shure earbuds wired to the headphone input jack of my Marshall MG30FX. I get good sound quality but my hand is always hitting the earbud wires and jerking the buds out of my ears, followed by nominal cursing.

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Only nominal cursing?

3. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I don't see any other way than getting a bluetooth transmitter to plug into the headphone jack of your amp. You could also just get an extension headphone cable, if it's long enough it would be out of your way.

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I would expect enough latency to make playing impossible. I'm sure if you spent enough money you could get over it. But I tried my wireless earbuds with a Mac / logic setup and it was unusable.

Digital Larry likes this.
  5. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I got the Boss Waza Air headphones just before lockdown and they've been great for playing at home. They are the price of a small amp so maybe not what you're after but they do work really well for wireless practice.

6. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

If you value your hearing.... you should avoid closed back headphones or in ear headphones of any kind, unless they are intended specifically for use with musical instruments or recording gear.

The dynamics of guitar are huge and the transient spikes that are common in guitar signals are not handled well by "consumer" gear.

So look at the right tool for the job... like these......

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/el...beats-with-its-own-wireless-bluetooth-earbuds

or be cheap and use these....

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/sr-series/sr850/

open back sound, and I've played guitar and bass with them for years.....

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bluetooth transmitters are readily available from your favourite online tat vendors and range from £2.50 to upwards of £50
    The cheap versions are often combined RX/TX units. You can set one to TX on the amp, and one to RX on the cable of your current earbuds ( or use a BT adaptor/wireless ) You may adapt to the latency. The sound quality of the cheaper units isn't that good for music reproduction, but may well suffice for dinking about. They're tiny, have a built in battery and are as simple as a brick. We use one for late night film watching by the Mrs. Connected to the headphone socket of the TV, it allows her to use BT headphones and not disturb the rest of the house. £2.50 well spent.
    Dedicated BT receivers and transmitters using AptX-LL ( Low Latency ) run to around £15~20 and aren't half bad. Look for the low latency or at least the HD claim and pay little regard to the BT version number as it's often aspirant, not real :)

This is a little more expensive, but the low latency is worth it. I'm sure you'll find something similar in your own territory. A halfway decent combo unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5MM-Bl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

8. quadtele

quadtele TDPRI Member

Even BT low latency is pretty high latency for guitar. Perhaps in a few years as newer BT standards take effect.....

9. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

How about an extension cable and run the earphone cable behind you instead of in front? Solves the problem, probably less expensive than a low latency wireless solution and better sound quality (assuming the extension cable is good quality).

10. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Thanx for all the replies. I can't believe NO ONE has came out with a little wireless earbud setup that works off the headphone jack.

11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

For me, earbuds and guitarplaying at home are a no-go. It sounds Mickey Mouse. Use good open/semi-open overear headphones or use an extension cable AND THIS (eyelet screws/wall etc.) to keep the cable off the ground (cable salad). It works best if you install the eyelet screw at head height or higher[​IMG]wireless and Blutooth won't work (delay)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Digital Larry likes this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

13. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Got a pair of AKG 240 headphones, ~$70. Bassy, muddy sound compared to my Shure/Ubeats earbuds. Even jacked into my iMac for web browsing audio there's a definite bassy, "puffy" sound. But very comfy and good for clean standards/jazz sound, and LONG cord that doesn't get in my way. All headphones claim wide frequency range (e.g., 12Kz-25 Kz) but I can tell you the response surely isn't flat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.