Wireless dongles. Who's using them?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And the situation for which the second definition is used has been around for...well...thousands of years, I am sure. So, it predates computers by a long sot. I am going to think that a computer nerd who was also into other, non-computer hook ups started using the term for his computer work?? At any rate, it is not a very descriptive term when compared to wireless system....unless one is far off into computers and/or alternative physical arrangements.
    I learned a new word today hat has two meanings and for which I may never have a use. But...I learned.....that makes it a good day, I suppose.

Boubou likes this.
  2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen them in catalogs but don't really need them. Some of the jams I attend have the
    Shure ones and they seems to work well.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I love the X-Vive set I've got. I think I've had them at least 2 years now, and have not noticed any degradation in battery life.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have a line 6 G30, it works ok but I don't use it much. I hate battery powered stuff at gigs.
    Never heard anyone refer to a guitar wireless as a dongle...

6. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Used to use Dongles with my 3D software. Was a kind of piracy protection via USB or serial interface.

I have a G10 Relay that worked great for a couple of years. I prefer it to most because the receiver has both TS and XLR out for a seperate dry signal. Only the TS out emulates the capacitance of a 10' cable though.

The newer version is $80 more and has some extra features including being regular pedal size and 9v DC powered on your board.

Latency is fantastic. Can practice with Rocksmith or yousician's realtime feedback without lag while running modeling plugins simultaneously through a DAW.

Sound wise it does have more higher frequencies. After two years and 100's of hours the G10 charge only lasts about 3 hours. I looked into replacing the battery but it's a odd size that you can only buy in bulk of 100+ from China :(

7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

thQ1XVR83K.jpg

gwjensen likes this.
  8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I look forward to a report on how the Ammoon wireless units operate.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

At my work we use "Dongle" to mean a connector / adapter cord of some kind. As in, you've got a laptop and a projector, but the two plugs are different kinds (these days there are about a dozen kinds which can be infuriating), so you use an adapter dongle to get everything to plug in right.

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

they make your tone brighter.... cable is a capacitor

gwjensen likes this.
  11. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan TDPRI Member

gwjensen and backporchmusic like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Not sure how well it works, but I believe the Boss version includes an option to emulate cable (I assume it would remove some the highs).

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So far the Ammoon set is working very well. The sound from the amp(s) is clear and clean of static or other interference induced noise, no pops glitches or dropped signal.

I have tried them on my TMTR and my Origin 50. They are excellent in both amps. I have also used the receiver unit at the input to my pedal board with no issue at all. Guitars tried so far have been my PRS, a Sheraton a Tele and a Strat. They work the same with any combination of equipment tried so far. I charged them up Saturday evening and have not had to recharge them yet. They are supposed to have a 5 hour battery life between charges. They came with a double headed USB cable so that both units can be charged at the same time.

So far, a big thumbs up.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I have used wireless systems before. They are good. they introduce another/different point of failure and interference etc is always a concern in a bar our outdoor event. If a guy is a tube guy or a straight in guy and can hear minute shifts in tone, you may not like some of the 'wireless' effect. The new ones don't have the banding issues the old ones did, but it is still noticeable if you listen.

If you use pedals and or modeling amps and/or you don't mind the coloration... go for it.

My comparison with other technologies is bluetooth headsets and phones... they CAN work in simple calling situations but almost ALWAYS have oddities on group calls or going through voice bridges...

Make sure to test with all the pedals and settings in a rehearsal WITH the rest of the band AND with them having their phones going off... it will TOTALLY happen on the gig.

15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I prefer burros, oh sorry, thought you said donkeys...

16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

That's cause they don't work with 'em. At all. So, good they don't recommend them for that...

It's ok with me - only my acoustic has active electronics and I plug it in about .0001% of the time, so pulling a cable out for the once or twice per year I might want to is a non-issue...

BTW, I would think the cheap knock offs like the Aamoon stuff should work just fine. I think Xvive may have been the first to use that simple wi-fi technology and those of us who bought them paid for the R&D and being early adopters, but they seem like really simple devices and Donner or Aamoon or whoever should be able to make 'em for nearly nothing. I suspect if the batteries die in my Xvive wireless at some point, it might be cheaper just to get a set of Aamoons rather than replace the batteries in the Xvive...

-Ray

17. magicfingers99

unless you want to...

don't they keep changing the spectrum allocation, so after 2 or 3 years you have to buy a new one or risk an fcc infraction for sprectrum intrustion?

i know they reallocated the specrtrum for wireless mics a couple years ago, so anything from the 2000's is illegal to use if its on those freqs (most are)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. magicfingers99

Dong-el was superman's grandpa, I think thats where it started. His grandma was Mongr-el, heart of gold, but not the prettiest lass..

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

looks like buzz has a woody...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

I think that the interference whine which seems worst on active basses is a by product of the transmitters getting to close to the on board preamp. XVive's system folds down closer to the guitar than most of their competitors but the competitors products in the same class also produce that noise on some guitars. Many are able to let the transmitters stick out without folding it flat against the bass with less noise than a single coil pick up.

XVive as a company has been the only one to admit to the possibility of the noisy side effects. And thus the company should get credit for their openness

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.