1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wireless directly to USB?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by BrazHog, Sep 4, 2020.

1. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

I want to start recording some guitar, haven't bought any equipment yet. Looking at all those wireless systems for guitar, it looks like they could be quite convenient.

The only thing is, when recording I would be plugging the wireless receiver into an audio interface. Which means there will be 3 A/D D/A conversion steps if I'm not mistaken?

1. A/D conversion in the wireless transmitter
    2. D/A conversion in the wireless receiver
    3. A/D conversion (again!) in the recording interface

My question is: is there a USB audio interface that can also work as a receiver for a guitar wireless system? That way, I can get rid of steps 2 & 3.

Thanks!

2. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Simple answer: nope. Since the vast majority of the guitar-playing and gear-buying market (pros and amateurs alike) view cables as a more pure signal transmitter than a wireless system, AND because wireless transmitters and receivers are cross-compatible, AND because they're much, much more expensive than cables, none of the recording-gear companies that I know of are going to be in a hurry to integrate those technologies.

That said, there are those who feel that under some circumstances, their wireless tone is subjectively better than if it were wired, but those are few and far between.

My recommendation is that if you want to avoid two of those A/D D/A steps, you tap the guitar's signal from the point between the output jack and transmitter...

...that is, use a cable - you'll never run out of batteries and will suffer less interference. And you won't be operating a radio transmitter without a license - which 99% of wireless users do, and to my understanding is actually illegal, but not really enforced.

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I can see latency issues too especially when monitoring, could be a big issue.

M

BrazHog likes this.
  4. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Basic rule of thumb:
    Recording - wired
    Live - wired or wireless

You’re correct in that using wireless radio will introduce more AD DA steps and that will affect the sound. Latency is a bigger issue especially when recording so good old copper wire is your best friend.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The only famous guitarist I've ever heard of who prefers using a wireless for recording albums is Angus Young. But he likes doing it because he can increase the gain of the receiver output, which just kicks the Marshalls a little harder. Basically it's like using a boost pedal.

BrazHog and Richie Cunningham like this.
  6. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. Back to futzing with cables it is then.

A pity, I had this mental image of myself at the helm of the wireless studio of the future... oh well!

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Too much latency wireless but you can re-position the guitar track in the DAW further forward by trial and error so it's possible IMO.

I sometimes re-position my lead tracks even when wired.

BrazHog likes this.
  8. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Well, you don't have to give up on that dream! I mean, an electrical engineering degree wouldn't hurt. One in acoustics wouldn't hurt either...

But hey, the studio is increasingly wireless. Bluetooth MIDI is popping up a lot. There are also a handful of very good solutions for wireless control using tablets and phones.

I mean, honestly, I doubt the latency would be horrible, and you could probably record a whole lot of good songs without having anyone say "boy, it sure sounds like that band is mostly wireless..."

BrazHog likes this.
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Ipad wireless control of the DAW is the real liberator.. i can move from marker to marker, arm tracks, record, playback and mix from where I am playing guitar or keys... its saves the moving and turning that makes using wires a pain.

logic remote app for logic or Garageband and DAW Control app for other DAWs. Free too.

BrazHog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.