WIRED

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by The Real Jake, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:28 PM.

1. The Real Jake

The Real Jake TDPRI Member

Tele People,

I'm new to telecaster wiring and pickup installation, but I'm giving it a go.
    It seems I have all the components I need, but one small problem.

The wires on a standard tele neck pickup I need to install have been cut way too short, I'll need to extend them. Do I need to buy specific cloth telecaster wiring from Stew Mac or Reverb or would Home depot have something that would suffice? What type of wiring would it be?

Can you tell me anything about extension wires for p90 pickups or the a standard telecaster bridge pickup?

I don't care what it looks like below the pickguard, as long as it works when it's plugged in!

-TRJ

2. Beebe

Beebe TDPRI Member

Sounds like Home Depot would have it. Look for just what StewMac sells for pickup extension wire: 22 American Wire Gauge (AWG) stranded and insulated. It does not need to be tinned (that just means they put some solder on it already and you can tin the wire yourself). Get some shrink tubing to cover up the solder splices. And get two different jacket colors, one for signal and one for ground. I personally like spending the extra money on the cool vintage stuff, but for what you describe, you really don't need it. Fender uses wire really similar to what you'll find in the home Depot electrical section. They might have it on reels and sell by the ft. In which case it'll cost you very little.

aging_rocker and trev333 like this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

any wire a similar size will work..... car wiring for eg... put some shrink tubing to cover the join... :)

4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good on you for giving it a go. Any insulated wire around 20 gauge or smaller can work (higher gauge numbers = smaller diameter). (The pickup wire itself is closer to 36 or 40 gauge, like a strand of hair. It's usually soldered to a point on the pickup board or housing and thats where the thicker wire joins it.) I'd recommend just stripping the end of the wire that's already attached, join your new wire (e.g. strip it back, too, twist and solder), and cover the joint with heat shrink tubing if you can, or kapton tape, or (last resort) electrical tape if you must (turns to a gooey mess after a while).

Beebe and aging_rocker like this.
  5. Beebe

Beebe TDPRI Member

...and if you can only find 24 or 18 AWG, that'll work too. It's such a short distance, things like wire resistance or capacitance will play a negligible roll, so almost any gauge would work as long as your solder job is done right and the wire isn't so thin that it's weak. Put some shrink tube on the ends of the wire too ( not just the splice) to make sure nothing shorts out against the stripped part of the wire where soldered to the control devices.

SRHmusic and aging_rocker like this.
  6. Beebe

Beebe TDPRI Member

Ha! Looks like we're giving pretty much the same advice. The note to not try to solder to the thin pickup wire is a great one.

SRHmusic and aging_rocker like this.
  7. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

If you buy a foot of 24G, 4-conductor, stranded alarm wire at Depot/Lowes, you'll get all the colors you need for $1 or so.

SRHmusic, Beebe and aging_rocker like this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I used some wire off an old mouse cable to extend a 4 wire bucker once....

Beebe and aging_rocker like this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

All you need to know is mentioned in the posts above. Go for it...:D

Beebe likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The way I do it it is get some similar sized wire. Cut bothered plastic ends from each section, twist the wires cleanly together, then melt a little solder over the new bonded wires. You won't need a ton of solder, a little goes a long way.
    I then use some plastic tubing, and cover the joint, then heat that over with a lighter flame. Failing that get some electricians tape and cover the join thoroughly. Job done. Sorry if someone already mentioned that, I'm just feeling helpful today lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.