1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wire Type

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by pwhite, Nov 24, 2020.

1. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

Is Gavitt wire ok to use in an amp?

2. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

I like to use cloth covered solid core in Fender style circuits but my favorite wire is 22awg, pretinned Topcoat wire. It holds it shape almost as well as solid core and is pretinned for easier soldering.

http://valvestorm.com/Products/Wire

DrewB, James Knox and King Fan like this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I use 22 AWG Gavitt wire in amps. I like that it holds a shape. I even use the 22AWG for the heaters in 4 to 5 tube heater circuits.
    For the over 300 VDC runs, I use a wire with 600v rating.

4. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Plus One on the Topcoat
    Plus One on the Topcoat! A few months ago I tried out Teflon, cloth pushback, and The Military Grade stuff they sell at TubeDepot. I use the Topcoat exclusively now. It is SO NICE to work with. Pre-tinned, holds shape, trims and strips perfectly. I initially bought some to try from Valvstorm, a few feet of different colors. Just recently AES/tubesandmore just started carrying it, but only in 50 ft spools. Try a few feet from ValveStorm and see how you like it! Liked it so much I bought 22awg spools in red, black, yellow, orange and green from AES.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/wire-weico-22awg-stranded-top-coat-pre-tinned-600v-50-feet

5. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Topcoat for me!

dan40 likes this.
  6. DrewB

DrewB Tele-Afflicted

LOVE that wire from Valvestorm!

dan40 likes this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Some will no doubt call me a "wire snob" :), but I like using surplus mil-spec teflon jacketed silver plated wire.

If you shop around a little you'll find some good deals.

It does take a bit more time to strip, but it's small diameter and easy to work with, plus the jacket survives the occasional brush with the soldering iron.

I use my old Ideal Strip Master with sharp 16ga to 26ga dies in it, and they strip it cleanly. I bought and used one of the good quality hot strippers, but I always seem to grab the old Strip Master instead ;).

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.