Wipe on gloss Poly (Minwax)

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by SonicMustang, Sep 20, 2021.

1. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Anyone have any examples they want to post of a guitar they have finished with the gloss Minwax wipe on poly? I picked some up yesterday and I'm going to start applying it to my top this next weekend. Wanted to see some end results and if you can get a true gloss.

2. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister

An old thread by 1bad914 titled "Rattlecan finish" is about using Rustolium "Painters Touch" with wipe-on poly for a clear coat. You should find any answers you're looking for.

3. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Try on scrap wood first, always. I've used the satin version for many necks, and also for the shelves in my kitchen cabinets.

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep in mind that the product you are asking about is an oil based product that is going to have a "warm" color to it. Over natural wood, that's a desirable property. Over colors...it may change the hue enough to make it an issue, although that's subjective. It will be more noticeable on certain color families as well as on whites for sure. Oil based finishes tend to amber more as they age, too, although so does some kinds of solvent based lacquer.

5. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

I used it to finish these cornhole boards. Way too slippery. E38D4C91-8753-45E4-9BD6-7973A98B732E.jpeg

6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

I waited to see if anyone would post up results on a guitar and didn't see any so I'll relate to you my experience which has been all good with one caveat. I think you will find the wipe-on poly takes a lot of coats to achieve a mirror shine. If you have the patience, it's a no brainer to apply but will take a lot of coats (10+) to build up a mirror finish.

I would recommend wiping on a coat of slightly thinned brushing polyurethane or aerosol spray first as a seal coat. Stick with the oil based products, not the waterborne. The easiest way to apply the brushing polyurethane is to wipe it on. You can apply a thinner, more even coat than if you "ladle it on" with a brush. The best way I have found is to have a can of mineral spirits and oil-based brushing polyurethane side by side and soft, kitchen paper toweling. Dampen your cloth with mineral spirits, blot it lightly, dip it into the poly and apply. When dry, lightly scuff with a scotchbrite pad. If you didn't apply it evenly, block sand with 400 grit and mineral spirits. Then tack it and then apply your wiping polyurethane (it is water thin).

I haven't done a guitar body with it, but here is a Zastava rifle with Mannlicher stock which was refinished with MinWax wipe-on polyurethane over existing polyurethane following multiple spot repairs to damage from field use. Bear in mind, this was more of a preservation than a restoration so some light marks were left in place so the rifle did not scream "refinished" which affects the value. I did over a dozen drop fills to deep dings and gouges and some stain touch up here it was worn to bare wood before applying the wipe-on polyurethane finish (3 coats as I recall). This was the result as wiped on, not rubbed out or buffed in any way which would likely make it even glossier.

No reason for it not to work the same on a guitar body.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A before pic:

IMG_3519.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    gsdrgsxr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.