Winton Oil color mix ratios

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Nareg, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Nareg

Nareg TDPRI Member

Hey all. Back on this forum after several years of absence again for a DIY build.

I'm doing a Strat this time and am starting with an unfinished neck. I purchased some Winton Oil paints (Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow). I know people have used these colors before, either mixed into tru oil, or thinned out in mineral spirits and applied before tru oil.

What I'm interested in is the best example you guys can recall seeing to get accurate Fender yellow coloring. I'm looking for the very yellowest maple colors put out by Fender. It would be nice if someone posted ratios of how they mixed the products as well.

Yes I did search and looked at many threads but didn't really see any inspiring builds to look at as a guide. A lot of people seem to want clearer more natural looking colors, more amber colors, or they like to post works in progress without final photos.

Right now I'm thinking a mix of:

65% Cadmium Yellow
    20% Yellow Ochre
    15% Burnt Umber

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. Nareg

Nareg TDPRI Member

Here are some colors I would be interested in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Good luck. Interesting idea, but not the way I would approach it since it's distant from how most finishers approach the matter. Not all oil colors are transparent, tinting media, as some are opaque and that's a very different matter. They're also suspended in an oil medium which is, IMO, not really ideal for use on wood. Since Fender didn't use Tru Oil (and I hate the stuff) I'm not sure that paint-in-oil will give you a resulting finish like a Fender. But it might just work out beautifully, and good luck to you. Hopefully, someone who has done this successfully will chime in. The plus with oils is that you can build up effects and colors; some of the spray techniques are pretty do-or-die. Personally, I would use stain and French Polish or nitro, with pore filler.

4. Nareg

Nareg TDPRI Member

Well, gave it a shot.
    In the end the mix I used for coloring was about 55% Yellow Ochre, 25% Burnt Umber, and 20% Cadmium Yellow. It's mixed with about 10 (maybe 15) times the volume of the paint in Tru Oil and applied by a lint-free cloth, I don't put it on and then come back to wipe it off later, I just put dabs of it all over the neck and then spend about 10-15 minutes buffing it into the neck until it loses the wet look. This was about 15 coats. Do not try to apply more than one coat every 4 hours, I had some problems that way, where aggressively rubbing in a new coat would cause an old coat to clean off. Also I tried use of 0000 steel wool but it should not be used between every coat or you will never build up the color, even the finest steel wool is way too aggressive for this job, especially on corners. The steel wool should be used with a very light hand and no more than every other coat or every three coats at most.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of spraying nitro on the face of the headstock next, sanding that to a sheen, applying my decal, and nitroing over that. Supposedly nitro over tru oil works alright.

Magnuseklof likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.