1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Winter Seems To Have Skipped Us

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

In Canada it never skips us... keep waiting but it never "disappoints"

Torren61 and stormsedge like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Great song title too.

Torren61 and stormsedge like this.
  3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I am confident that you will adapt .

Torren61 and Coloradotwanger like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We're seeing a lot more whitetail deer, around The Cabin this year.

My theory? Due to (you know what), rich apartment dwellers have been buying out the less rich folks with large homes somewhat near large cities. Flush with cash, these less rich people comb the internet and have begun buying up so called ready to build second residence lots in fairly out of the way places. Paying far too much, but they don't know any better. And a portion of these people haul in a trailer or tiny house and imagine they will stay there (they don't, much) but they put out caches of deer corn. So these deer are attracted away from the areas where the local-born hunters used to pursue the deer with dogs and keep the deer numbers close to nothing. The hunters don't care to discharge weapons near these little "residences" and so now we have whitetails, where for generations this holler had almost none.

We'll see how long things go in this direction. I wonder what will happen when these city people receive wild boar-hogs and also black bears, as persistent visitors. You cannot forewarn them - they know everything.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mother Nature is a cruel lady. I wouldn’t try to second guess her. Here we go from frozen ground to yards full of mud in the blink of an eye. Best let her have way and stay clear of her rath.

6. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

We haven't had a hard freeze here yet. Today's "Peninsula Daily News" front page showed a local farmer still harvesting blueberries.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Whatever the weather is doing I just try to make the best of it. It's cargo shorts time again for me! Yesterday, we took my daughter, young son, and my brother-in-law who just turned 80 to breakfast, the weather, the food, and the company was perfect. My son-in-law was there too, but he's taking the picture.

From left:

Me, my daughter, young son, short stuff my little momma, and her sister-in-law and brother. He's just turned 80, but still wheeling and dealing, just bought himself a fancy new Ford pickup with not one but two turbos on it. He's got some cool classic cars, and actually knows Jay Leno.

upload_2021-1-18_13-52-1.png

8. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, its pretty cold and wet here lol.
    Even some snow today

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

75 degrees here today.
    I enjoyed a trip to New Braunfels with the windows rolled down.
    It snowed here Sunday, but it was gone by Monday morning.
    Not much winter here.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

We are about normal this year, precipitation-wise (Japan gets a lotta water between July monsoons and August-October typhoons). Winters on the Pacific side are generally sunny compared to the US PNW where I grew up, but they are getting quite a lot of snow on the Sea of Japan side and up into the Japan Alps. So we are getting plenty of snow-pack up there, even though temps have been unseasonably mild where I live. A few days last week felt like March. That said, I was surprised to open the shutters today and see a light snow falling...
    5F51EF3B-8A51-4344-B4B1-A575DFC9F785.jpeg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jupiter, I read last weekend some place in Japan got 70" (1.8m) of snow over the weekend.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just want a winter that is cold enough to kill overwintering pests. Bark beetles, fleas, all that sort of thing.

And there's places we hike, that can be a muddy mess. Near springs, small creeks. If they just freeze rock hard, you can saunter right through there and your boots will be clean when you get back to The Cabin.

Toto'sDad and getbent like this.
  14. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

In Maryland its been pretty cool and mostly in the upper 30's to mid 40's as low, the problem is we need a few stretches of below freezing or we pay for it in the spring with creepy crawlers and mosquitos.

download.jpg

15. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I haven’t seen a single yeti all winter. They’re probably all hiding in the subterranean caverns beneath the ranch. The ice on the walls down there is three feet thick, even in summer.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

December and January up in the high country on Breckenridge Mountain used to get like you're talking about. When the ground froze over though, sometimes I looked like a daddy long legs with roller skates on. I fell so many times one night chasing the hounds my rear end became my front end!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.