1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Winter Seems To Have Skipped Us

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

From November through April is the normal rainy season where I currently reside. It should be wet and cold. Today, it's 60 degrees F and dry just like it's been for weeks. Yes, we've had SOME rain and SOME below 40 temps but this is not normal.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Sssh

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thy shalt not discuss controversial weather-related subjects........13th Commandment.

4. Torren61

There. It's less of a question and more of a statement. Like saying "Boy, it sure is hot." while not pondering the larger question of why, exactly, it seems to be so hot.

Dismalhead, 61fury and nojazzhere like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not even sure if you're permitted to say, "Boy, it sure is hot" without crossing "somebody's" line.
    On a related note.....it's sure been a mild, pleasant winter so far around here.
    And I don't want to jinx things. ;)

Dereksys38, JL_LI and Torren61 like this.
  6. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Likewise 4 hours south of you.... the trees in our garden are confused

7. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Thought about moving to Emeryville a couple of years ago. I had a college buddy who transferred to HSU and every time we visited it was gorgeous! (Of course, I’m Irish so I don’t think it’s normal without a bit of rain every day.)

Yeh, sssh. Don’t tell anyone about the summers and the surf. What I mean is the water is sooo cold and there’s lots of sharks.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Thanks to La Nina', we've been both warmer and wetter than usual. Our snow pack is at or near 100% and building. At least a couple of days a week, We get rain in the valleys and snow in the mountains.

9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

In Illinois, while it's not exactly been balmy, so far this is one of the mildest and least snowy winters I can remember.

Torren61 and uriah1 like this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

73º and perfect here. We are at 34% of the rain we should average... no bueno.

they say you can't wish for weather, just live with it... I thought this winter would be dry, but not this dry.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My utility bills bear witness to the thread title.

12. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

We don't have winters like we used to here anymore.Whatever the reason is.It is happening.

13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Moved to southern CA 40 years ago and got used to rainy winters, dry summers. Now the state is steadily burning to the ground as a century of brush, leaf litter, dead foliage, and dead trees explodes into flame in one area after another, accelerated by flamethrower winds. I can't even recall the last time rain doused a wildfire. Between lightning strikes, power company equipment failure, and dumbass campers, it's like having pyromaniacs on the loose. I sure won't be retiring here.

Coloradotwanger, ozcal and Torren61 like this.
  14. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here in the Seattle metro area, the rainy season showed up late, but it came hard for the first two weeks of the year. The ski season started late, but there's a great snowpack on the ski areas now.

Who knows what the next 6 weeks will bring?

Torren61 likes this.
  15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Here , in Pa , I can recall wearing cut-offs for the second archery season and actually setting posts through the winter . I can recall a winter with no snow , zero and below temps with winds resulting in a previously unknown 42" of frost in the ground . Today , it is typically cold . If you live long enough and keep your eyes and mind open , you will see it all again and again .

electrichead and Coloradotwanger like this.
  16. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

winter isnt a month old yet...give it time

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Same here. The upper part of the property is doing good with the snow pack, but down here there is not enough snow to ski off the deck for the first time in years.:mad: Doesn't even look like winter down at the mailbox.:rolleyes:

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Torren61

You own a mountain? Braggart...

19. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

In S FL, it was predicted to get down into the 40s a couple of times but only a low of 57º so far. Water in the mid 70s and little in the way of the usual winter bluefish, pompano, and permit run in front of an advancing cold front. The fronts have generally petered out. Surf has been as weak as the fishing.

Still, a couple more months to go. I did break the wetsuits out but no need for then so far. The last two winters, I only used a neoprene vest a couple of times. (Since living here my blood has gotten as thin as water. I use a wetsuit as soon as the water gets into the 60s - which is peak summer temps for S CA.)

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Where I'm at in the higher elevations of Central Arizona, it hasn't rained since mid-August, and only three times in our "monsoon season." If I remember correctly, it did not snow one time last winter, and we're on track for the same this year.

Yeah its a desert and all, but its not supposed to be this dry. The harsher the fires get every year, the closer I am to moving back to the midwest. My town was evacuated twice this summer for fires. Neither time was bad, but they sure could have been.

Coloradotwanger and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.