1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Winston-Salem NC

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by THX1123, Mar 4, 2021.

1. NC E30

NC E30 TDPRI Member

There is the annual Gears and Guitars festival each summer which is worth checking out. It's held downtown right behind the Wake Forest Innovation Center.

If you really want a taste of the local barbeque, take the short (30 min) drive to Lexington and check out either Speedy's or Lexington BBQ.

You won't see much snow, but the once or twice it does, the whole town shuts down. It's not a big deal though because the sun will come out and it will all be gone in a day or two.

fjblair likes this.
  2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I get that, but as small towns in SC go, there are plenty much worse, as you know. Doris Duke, an heir to part of the American Tobacco and Duke Power hydroelectricity enterprises, and a billionaire, her estate sponsors "Art Fields," a national juried art competition with a big purse that takes place over a month or so during the summer in Lake City. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area and like that kind of stuff.

I'm with you as far as moving goes. I've sold six houses, all in different towns, and I've lived all over NC, SC, and VA. Retiring and settling down was a welcome change. The thing about W-S is that it is a medium sized NC town with a small town feel, and as NC cities go, the traffic is not so bad. You might decide that's where you want to stay.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  3. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

NC is very cool , stationed there for 5 years. Traffic was horrendous in the 80's I can't imagine what it's like now. But that is my only negative.

4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Yeah SC has the weird mustard based sauce in some places.

DekeDog likes this.
  5. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

If you survived Florence, W-S is going to seem positively dreamy. Seriously though, the Triad is a great place to live. Just a few hours to the coast and an hour and a half from the mountains.

NC E30 likes this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I was born in Hickory, NC, but raised in Texas. I haven’t been back to visit since 1996. A lot has changed in that area since the factories closed

fjblair likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.