1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Winston-Salem NC

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by THX1123, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ive never had Carolina bbq drowning in anything but sublime flavor. It's the best in my opinion. Tx and Memphis? Good stuff but not nearly as good (to me) as Carolina.

SRHmusic and fjblair like this.
  2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

My dad was born there in 1927. Sometime during the 30s, he was flying a kite with the old string that you wrapped gifts with that had wire in it. It landed across the power lines and shorted part of the town out of electricity.
    It scared him and he took off running. He ran in front a car that hit him. The guy driving the car jumped out to see if he was ok. Daddy jumped up and took off running to his house. He ran past my grandmother, who was wondering why there were no lights. Then the driver of the car ran into the house and past her.

Must have been a fun day.

StevesBoogie and Harry Styron like this.
  3. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

not stepping in for the defense of Texas, but actually the fact that you think bbq refers to only pork is quite regional. The rest of the entire world refers to BBQ (aka Barbeque, or barbacoa) as a method of grilling..Not pork. So when we (and by “we” I mean anyone outside of the Carolina universe) are talking about barbeque, we mean the grill...as in a bbq grill. ..as in “shrimps on the bar-be” and everyone everywhere else.

*edit* forgot to add that pork is a Carolina thing, though. They own it. About the only other places that do that level of magic with pork is Cuba, Hawaii, and the Philippines islands.
    But beef brisket ? Come on, everyone knows Texas has that on lock. Nothing better in my opinion. Been a long haul trucker for decades and I don’t pass up the good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    OldPup, fjblair and jman72 like this.
  4. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I lived there for three years in the late ‘80s, and I really liked it. I’ve been back many times since, and I love it... I’d move back in a heart beat. Great arts community in a medium sized, college town. Music scene is lacking, but there are a lot of good musicians in the area. Greensboro is much better. Check out the B String Guitar Shop in W-S, and talk to the guys there. They can hook you up with the locals.

The area around Wake Forest is nice, and that’s where I’d look to rent or buy, but you'll be good most anywhere from the Reynolda area (near WF) in the northwest to the Hanes Mall area in the southwest part of town... anywhere from the north to the southwest parts of town. I’d steer clear of the areas east of Rte 52 and south of I-40 inside the city limits.

Thirty minutes west of Greensboro, which is a cool town (with a very good music scene), and not far from the Triangle. A stones throw from the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains, too. One of the nicer areas in both Carolinas.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    StevesBoogie, fjblair and Pcs264 like this.
  5. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Very helpful, thank you

6. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the responses so far. And for the BBQ debate. I accepted the job and am moving in a couple weeks. If anyone else has advice please chime in. I will miss my band.

Being a Buffalo area native my tastes used to be more focused on spicy stuff. I like wings that make your eyes water before you even eat them.

In this part of WNY and east to Binghamton there are a variety of ways they make chicken BBQ marinade. Chiavetta's, Spiede sauce, etc. These are more aligned with a kind of Greek flavor. I would hesitate to even call it BBQ except for the fact that it is usually grilled over a charcoal fire. I do like it, but to be honest it is unlike the masterful BBQs of the south, and even Pacific. They usually grill the chicken here until it is quite blackened and parts are crispy crunchy, but the meat is still very juicy. Where they really fall short around here is sides. Generic Mac salad & slaw and maybe a roll.

I lived in the Florence, SC area about 20 years back. The BBQ was real good there, but as I remember there were several distinct kinds - some yellow, some red. Whether the best BBQ places were actually open when they said they would be, well...that was another thing. I went to one place there that had probably the best BBQ I had. They flew a giant Confederate flag and sold T Shirts with the flag on them that said "southern heritage protector." Everyone was mean and grumpy there but the BBQ was amazing. I can't remember the name of the place.

There was this one place in Darlington, SC. Not far from the racetrack. Some of the best authentic soul food and S. Carolina BBQ I've had. I believe it ran under the table and off the radar. You had to know someone to give you their number. Problem was you had to call and hope they were making food on any given day. Actually, that kind of applied to most businesses there at the time.

fjblair likes this.
  7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I lived in Greensboro for about 12 years and did most of my playing in bands there. We went to Winston often, and played at a place called The Werehouse (Wherehouse? I can’t remember . . .) a lot. Played there with Lightning Bolt, Cat Power, Akron/Family, etc. Great venue. I ran sound for some shows there too. They had a recording studio in the basement and living space upstairs. I kissed my wife for the first time there, and recorded a record and a half there - it’s close to my heart. Now it is a coffee place called Krankie’s. They were still occasionally doing music there I think, probably until things shut down. I would definitely check them out.

Prissy Polly’s BBQ in Kernersville is close by and worth the drive. For bigger acts, Greensboro Coliseum and War Memorial Auditorium get decent shows. I saw John Prine at War Memorial and Erykah Badu at the Coliseum. Most of the time I was there though, we were doing house shows and bar gigs.

fjblair and DekeDog like this.
  8. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Winston-Salem is a short drive from Galax, VA. Home of an old time fiddlers’ festival and newish home of Redd Volkaert, I believe.

9. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Great info that. Thank you.

10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes, there's some good music around these parts. The NC School of the Arts is in downtown W-S, and UNCG in Greensboro is the main music school, so there are some good musicians around for sure. There are some small music festivals around NC and southern Virginia, including Merle Fest over in the mountains near Boone, NC, which is pretty amazing. There are some decent blues jams, as well. Good beer can be found at several spots, including some brew pubs in W-S, in case that matters, too. :)

Edit: Also there's the Piedmont Blues Preservation Society that puts on a festival and has some folks involved the blues jams, among other things: https://piedmontblues.org/

DekeDog likes this.
  11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh, if you’re there over the summer, definitely do this:

http://generaldantubing.com/

Looks like they have disallowed alcohol since I moved away, but it could still theoretically be fun. It’s about 30 minutes from Wake Forest.

SRHmusic likes this.
  12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I forgot to say that when I’ve worked in the Winston-Salem area, I’ve found it to be a lovely place.

13. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

**Edit - just saw you are from Buffalo, did not see that post before me posting this**

I apologize for not being able to exactly answer your questions. But just a couple of things to throw at you.

I've lived in central NC for 15 years now and don't regret a single day, no exaggeration.

It also depends on where you are coming from in NY. If you are upstate and not a big town then you will likely get acclimated to NC and Winston-Salem very quickly.

If you are coming from metropolitan NYC then there is definitely going to be a level of culture shock. Moving to a small town from a big town has its challenges.

I have only run across maybe three people who either lived or used to live in WS and there was nothing but good things to say.

Geographically, WS in a pretty good spot, provided you are not an ocean lover (because of the distance). I-40 passes right through WS. I-40E will get you to Raleigh, the capital of NC, and it's sister city of Durham, and further along I-40E will get you to the great town of Wilmington NC which is on the Atlantic. I-40W will get you to the amazing town of Asheville NC and further along the great town of Knoxville TN. Going south, you are less than 90 minutes from the great town of Charlotte. Going north, you can get to nowhere fast!

And some fun facts for everyone!

There is a town in NC called 'Wake Forest'. One would think the university would be located there, right? Nope.

In the mid-50s 'Big Tobacco' wanted to embed themselves into higher education and the town of Winston-Salem, approximately 110 miles from the town of Wake Forest, offered financial incentives to the university to relocate to Winston-Salem. And relocate they did, which is their right as a private university. So, at one point, Wake Forest University used to be in Wake Forest, located just northeast of Raleigh, but no longer. The old smallish campus in Wake Forest is now home to the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Good luck with your relocation!

fjblair, scook, DekeDog and 1 other person like this.
  14. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up in Loris, S.C. About 45 minutes from the grand strand and my arguments about BBQ are 1) get it in my mouth! and 2) it’s first and foremost the open fire cooking method, not the sauce or the act of saucing that makes the food BBQ.

fjblair, SRHmusic and StevesBoogie like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do believe the university was originally located in Wake Forest though. And a lot of the old buildings are still there.

16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I live 45 minutes north of Florence, and IMO, Florence is a dump. You'll be MUCH happier in W-S. And having lived in NY and Florence, you won't suffer the culture shock.

And yes, the Piedmont Blues Preservation Society puts on an outdoor festival every May (although they may be doing it virtually this year, like last), and I've seen some great acts, both national and local. Saw Gatemouth Brown there a year or so before he died... Delbert McClinton, Eric Gales, etc.

17. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the great comments and info. Based on the opinions and details above it sounds like I probably made a good decision. I anticipate Wake Forest and WS will be a welcome change. I am a research administrator by trade and I am going into the Physics Dept, which is a new area for me. My step mother thinks it will be like Big Bang Theory. It won't.

I am sick of shoveling snow, although I do still find it quite beautiful. South of Buffalo we get massive amounts of Lake Effect snow off Lake Erie. Sometimes people don't believe how much we get because it doesn't make the news. It makes life hard sometimes. People here can be kind of mean and fatalistic, yet will nearly always help each other out after the requisite dishing out of verbal abuse.

I don't anticipate much culture shock. In my experience it is best to just be yourself and to embrace new things. I am fortunate that I like trying new things and foods. I eliminated my old nasal WNY accent years ago after living in SC. That helps more than you know. People can't tell where I am from by the way I talk anymore.

I am sick of moving. I've moved so many times that I expect to transition pretty smoothly. In the last 20 years since I left WNY (and returned three times) I have lived in Florence SC, Lake City SC, Polk County FL, Christchurch NZ, Steamboat CO, Ft. Myers FL, Naples FL, Newport OR, Waldport OR, Orlando, and spent several months in both Nassau and Eleuthera in the Bahamas. Hopefully I can stay put for a while and find some people to play music with.

DekeDog and StevesBoogie like this.
  18. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I agree. I lived in Lake City SC for a year also. Why did I do that? I still don't know. LOL. I remember several dogs blocking traffic by screwing in the middle of main street. The major pastime there was drinking beer and baiting gators with Safeway chicken. After living there I can pretty much go anywhere, no?

DekeDog likes this.
  19. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

I’ll second that. Kernersville used to be a big trucking hub back when Celedon was still operation (they had a terminal there). I’d drop trailers for them years ago and hit all the local bbq joints when staying overnight. Prissy’s was a favorite.

DekeDog likes this.
  20. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.