Wine and retirement.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I want to be a old wine guy. So I bought a on-line kit. I am not completely new to this. A few old buddies make wine and beer.
But this my first time.
Looking for advice and discussion.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
I haven't made wine since I was in high school, but I'd think there'd have to be online forums for home wine makers. They're likely just as lunatic as guitarists.

To clarify, do you want to be an:

- Old, wine guy? You probably qualify right now.
- Old wine, guy? That will take a few years.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Get this book. I've made many of these. Apple was always my favorite.

Sanitation is rule #1. Get some B-brite or other cleaning agent. Be picky. Off-flavors are almost always rooted in sanitation faults.

Attachments

• 7360__61360.png
    7360__61360.png
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I like the idea of retirement and wine. I just don’t want to make my own. I made wine back in my 30s. It was a lot of work and the consistency was all over the place.
A nice commercially produced bottle is so much easier to procure and enjoy.
Retirement is, hopefully, less than six months away

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I like the idea of retirement and wine. I just don’t want to make my own. I made wine back in my 30s. It was a lot of work and the consistency was all over the place.
A nice commercially produced bottle is so much easier to procure and enjoy.
Retirement is, hopefully, less than six months away
I hated cleaning bottles. When we moved here in 2020, I finally tossed nearly 100 Grolsch, flip-top bottles I'd been using since the 80s. I'd already tossed several U-haul boxes of wine bottles.

I rarely had problems with clarity or sediments. Making wine in small batches will always result in inconsistancy. Any commercial producer will blend product to beat that.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
As a wise friend of mine once said(no doubt quoting): "Drink it! Don't think it!".

The same guy once sauntered up to a bar and ordered a beer.
Barkeep asks what kind of beer. My friend stares at him for a few long seconds looking really befuddled and
then blurts out: "A cold beer!".

... aaand this doesn't help at all. Yes, yes... I'll get me coat.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Ah... home made wine.... made by a self taught expert who read a book on the subject.
Always a success.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Leave it to the professionals.
My sister-in-law had once created some beer-like-substance which my yet-to-be-wife gave me.
I drank my one bottle, she drank half and declared "no thanks" so I finished her remaining half as well.
Within a very short time I sat on the floor snickering like a grade schooler presented with a fart-noise-app.
That was some stuff, I tell you hwat(sic)!

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I want to be a old wine guy. So I bought a on-line kit. I am not completely new to this. A few old buddies make wine and beer.
But this my first time.
Don't be discouraged by the naysayers. If you want to make wine, make wine.
I made some beer back in the day, but never tried wine. Had a work friend that made both and he said the wine was easier to make.

@trapdoor2 is absolutely right about sanitation. Place emphasis on this aspect. Nothing more disappointing than waiting for a fermentation only to find it infected.

It's easiest to start with juices and packaged yeast, but to my mind more rewarding to start with grapes. Find a winemakers forum. You'll find a bunch of info there.
Looks like you are in southern Indiana. Check the local wineries, figure out their quietest times and hang out in the tasting rooms. Take the tours and talk to the winemakers. If you want to start from grapes you may be able to work a purchase of locally grown grapes from a local vineyard.

Good luck!

MrClint

Tele-Holic
I've got at least 2-3 brews going at all times with untold others that are bottle conditioning. Brewing is a lot like learning to play guitar, it is a journey without a clear cut destination.

My best advice is:
1. Stick with one gallon batches until you brew something that really stands out.
2. Keep things clean and sanitized. Think of yourself as a janitor that brews.
3. Be patient. Bottle conditioning can make a huge difference even with beer.

I brew mead, cider, beer and various fruit wines. Right now I'm heavily into beer experimentation.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Again: do not do it!

Your friends will be all polite and say "Yes, this has a good nose" or "That is a solid body on this one", "That one has a certain after taste to it!"

You, the "wine maker" on the other hand, will of course be caught in confirmation bias while your taste buds screams for help, but nonone is listening.

Buy a good bottle of a decent wine from cotes du rhone, or rioja, or even a chilenian cabernet for no money, and you will know, and you will never set your foot in this wine maker nonsense again.

Please.