1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Windows Vista Administrator problems; help, please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitlvr, Mar 12, 2014.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi, I'm using a Vista machine for my recording DAW, and I'm trying to download some FX plugins from Reaper's site. But when I try to save it to Reaper, I get "You do not have permission to save to this location. Contact administator."
    I know Vista has a seperate admin account. But I have access to this account as well as my own. I'm the sole user of this computer. Furthermore, I have set up my account as an administrator as well, yet I cannot gain authorization to download and save to any folder except the one with my name on it, or common folders, which Reaper won't access looking for plugins. When I point it in the direction of those folders, I get the same warning;"You are not authorized...". Any access to the inner workings of my computer has to come from this "other" admin account, which does not save to mine.
    This is incredibly frustrating and is causing problems, making it difficult to get anything done. I can't download aftermarket plugins for my DAW unless I'm logged on to that administrator account, which does not include them in "my" version of Reaper.
    All of my songs are in the Reaper program under "my" account. I would delete my account and just log in as administator from now on, but I can't transfer the files from one account to the other, and I don't want to lose all of my work. And I've already got Reaper set up the way I like it on "my" account.
    Can I delete this overriding administrator account? Will this leave "my" user account in control, or will it lock me out of my computer? Someone, please, help.

2. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Hmm, that's weird. I've been playing around with REAPER lately and haven't had any problems like that (although I do use it in Win7.) I'd suggest looking at the REAPER forums or posting over there. You're probably much more likely to find a suitable fix that way.

What plugins are you trying to install? If it's the ReaPlugs, you don't need to install them if you're already using REAPER because they already come with the DAW. They're made available separately for use in other DAW programs, but they're already included with REAPER. Maybe this is the issue?

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

What folder are you attempting to put them in? You may actually be putting them in the wrong folder. Normally they would be placed in either C:programs/Reaper/Plugins or C:programs/Reaper(64)/Plugins depending on which version you are running. There are some shared Plugins folders that you don't want them in and may require admin user.

4. Merodack

Merodack TDPRI Member

Have you tried launching the program managing the download (Reaper, I imagine, but I'm not familiar with it) with Administrator privileges ? Not the account, but the program itself : in the Start menu, right-click on the program's icon and choose "launch as administrator" in the context menu. Windows can be overprotective of system directories, and with certain programs this solves the problem. If it works, you can enable it as a permanent setting via "Properties" in the same menu. Alternatively, if it's a manual download through a browser, try downloading the plugins to the generic Windows download directory, than copy them manually into Reaper's subdirectory.

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to put them in the plugins folder. It has nothing to do with Reaper. It does this when I try to download a lot of things. The administator in Vista(the one that comes with the OS and controls everything) is blocking me. I have yet to find a common link, except that it usually happens when I try to install downloads for things like vst or DX plugins in Reaper or in my Cakewalk software. Doesn't matter which program I'm using. It will not let me download those types of files to anything but a common or shared folder, like the one with my name on it, or to the downloads or documents folder. When I try to move that folder to the proper place in either of my DAWs, I get the same message. I "don't have permission and need to contact the administrator". It's the main Administrator account that automatically comes with Vista. Some of the computer folk on here know what I'm refering to.

6. StuR

StuR Banned

IIRC there's an option to either Log Out via the close down menu, in which case you could see if there's an option to "Log In As Administrator" or the same thing should be in "Control Panels" on the start menu.
    With Vista it starts up as Admin account from new but once it's set up you're supposed to create a user account so that Admin stuff isn't accidentally written over, you're supposed to but not many do.

7. Cat MacKinnon

Ah, I understand the issue a little better now. I would suggest turning off UAC (User Account Control), which I think may be the culprit. It was one of those things everyone hated about Vista, because it was so intrusive and annoying (and that's pretty much all it was good for.)

Here's a link with several different methods to do this. I'd just go with the first method (I think that's what I did years ago, but I don't remember for sure.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You could try logging into your computer as Administrator, then run the software update. Then log out and use your normal account to use the computer. I have had some programs that behaved this way... once the files are in place (via the Admin) then the normal users can run them.

Another approach might be to log in as Admin and change the permissions on folders and files to include your user.

denny

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Cat's got it; whack the UAC.

10. Cat MacKinnon

I remember several years ago, when I first used Vista. The never-ending prompts to "Run as Administrator" and stuff like that just bugged the hell out of me. Then when I discovered how to turn off UAC, I was like "Wow, I can actually use this now!"

...well, inasmuch as Vista was "usable", anyway. :lol:

11. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yep. I think that's my fix. Thanks, Cat(and everyone else).

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

The only time I run into permissions problems with 7 is when I transfer contacts and such to a new machine with a .pst file. Turn off UAC, import, turn back on.

Vista without pesky UAC wasn't too bad-- I really liked the live widgets. It was fun to have CPU and GPU and network levels reporting. Like a fool, I bought the Ultimate edition and never really got anything out of it... bastidges!

13. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I agree. Turn UAC off and then back on once you're past it.

The ultimate addition is the only one that would allow you a full system backup and not just data and media. You did good and didn't know it is all. Always reach for the top in Operating system software.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.