Windows Update - will no one rid me of this turbulent program?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Jul 27, 2019.

1. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine's finally settled down. Hated it with a passion for over a year for all of the chaos it caused me. Don't know why the problems have gone away but sure appreciate it.

GuitLoop likes this.
  2. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

don't listen to the guys with the big mouthes.
    Linux isn't too technical for you, unless your hardware is exotic. (You can request compatibility info in the web)

Modern distros like Linux mint (lm) or fedora(what I prefer) are very easy to install and maintain. However fedora's update rate is even higher than that of looser10. Guess lm is better for you. Give it a try.

CFFF likes this.
  3. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Sounds to me like your Laptop manufacturer has wonky drivers. Or there is an extra high level audio utility from them that sits on top of the base drivers windows installed. If you upgraded to win 10, those might not exist unless you find them on the manufacturers web page.

There's a whole bunch of things that could be wrong. It's usually the notebook companies fault. Sometimes you can get around it by finding out what the audio chipset on your notebook is and finding drivers for it on the chipset manufacturers site instead.

It's probably a realtech chipset with a notebook manufacturers front end with their own proprietary tweaks that causes the problems.

Without more info about the notebook it's hard to say.

4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Read the OP’s comments. Windows update killed his PC, not a virus

5. Avi S

Avi S TDPRI Member

jhundt: 4-5 second periodic noise in your audio is a known problem with Windows 10 & your laptop. If you google "dell latitude e6400 sound windows 10" the topmost entry is a Dell community forum topic discussing it. Also there are 2 Youtube videos about it. Apparently, the fix is to go into the BIOS and disable the eSATA port.

In normal, everyday use Linux shouldn't be too complicated for you to use. You hunt around to discover things, point & click just like you do with Windows and that's all. But you might as well stick with what you've got.

jhundt likes this.
  6. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Microsoft are still trying to make good the promises made with the launch of Windows 95 I think. Me too I have problems with Windows 10 updating fails and things not working later.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  7. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

If you don't already, write your files to an external HD that operates via your laptop's fastest port.

If the computer is D(H)ell expect endless problems.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

In past posts I reminded you that the Professional edition gives you granular control over updates the home edition does not.

When you identified the model Dell I also suggested that you do the specific updates Dell has for firmware (BIOS, chipsets, audio) etc.... Finally, that at age 10 it might really be time for new hardware or to use a known good Linix distribution.

The last of my (where I work) Latitude models much like yours are being retired now. Even when we completely re-stage them their vintage internal speeds and mostly 5400 RPM hard drives do not perform particularly well because people are used to the speeds solid state devices have and newer computers. I see 5 computers much like and one same as yours still in service but they'll be gone for the upcoming end of Windows 7 date.

My apologies if I sound firm or hasty or so sure here but we have 750 employees who even when not at work use their own or some dedicated company devices to check schedules, paystubs and other HR info. I wade into this much more than I'd like. I know a time comes when you are best to stop wasting time with old systems or at least spend your time as I've advised for quite a while. I'm not perfect at all this but suggest you trust that I've been giving you sound device. We do this at a scale where we know what works whether that's the company assets or how we help employees.

Pro grade laptops with solid state drives have been around long enough where you can get those used and at outlet store prices. For many home uses including some who do music an iPad with Garage Band works. Bottom line is format that thing with Linux, manage the drives as I've suggested or get a new system with a decent pedigree.

It isn't what people want to hear when they have problems or when they have really strong brand bias, but Windows 10 is actually good. RCA in all of my experience where it is trouble finds other software and hardware issues create the problems. Windows 10 running our business tier quality computers has been the best ever in my 29 years of doing IT professionally.

Good luck.

P.S. I don't know current models but some of our employees have had a good combination of value and quality with getting items from Microsoft's own store. It certainly makes sense for that inventory to be reasonable because the Microsoft of today is a pretty darn high quality company and wants it's software to work well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Mad Kiwi and GuitLoop like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Last evening when we returned from our walk the computer was asking for a restart. After restarting I read the service agreement and it was kind of scary. Does any of that stuff matter, and is Microsoft planning on charging fees to use their system after August of this year?

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not that I am aware of. It would hurt their marketing to do so.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have absolutely no love for Windows 10. It’s ridiculously non-intuitive and hides too much of what I prefer to have access to.

But I have to say it works fine, IF you have enough processing power, video speed, and RAM.

Updates work fine and seemlessly, IF you have enough processing speed, video speed, and RAM.

The oldest PC in my house running 10 is an Inspiron desktop I bought around 2011. It’s been through several hard drives, and all windows from 7 to 10. It has a separate video card, which I believe has made a huge difference in performance for a low to midrange off the shelf PC. The wireless stopped being supported some time ago. I had a USB dongle stashed away. Plugged it in and it works like a charm. Things were finally slowing down to a halt recently. I upgraded to 8mg RAM (all it’s capable of). It’s running ok again, updates fine. I still do audio editing on it without any issues.

I have a newer Inspiron laptop that is a dog with W10. Once I added as much RAM as I could all of the update problems I had went away. It will never be a speed demon. But it works fine. I do all tracking for myself, my band, and a podcast on that machine.

We bought a Dell “gaming” laptop a few months ago. It’s midrange at best, but plenty of power for all the kiddos’ games and such. Windows 10 is a breeze for it.

NONE of my machines have any sound issues to speak of. Which makes me think it’s a hardware issue. Contact the vendor or maker for support.

12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I would tend to believe that many of the problems listed here are not the fault of Win10 but are one of these:

1) incompatible hardware-there is a program to check this
    2) unnecessary or incompatible junk programs installed on the computer by the vendor
    3) harmful programs installed unknowingly by the user

If you notice the posts among those who have no issues with Win10, most are using computers not made by Dell, HP, etc. but have built them or had someone knowledgeable build them. My suggestion would be this:

1) backup as much of your personal data as possible in a format that can be restored easily. OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc.
    2) Totally nuke (erase) the computer and reinstall Win10 without allowing 3rd party crap to be installed.
    3) allow Win10 to completely update
    4) restore your data and essential programs

If one is not comfortable doing this find a reputable and knowledgeable computer shop to do it for you. This should fix all the wonkiness and is probably the only surefire way to do that. It will be much cheaper to pay someone than to tinker around with this or that suggestion and the frustration level will be gone.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks!

14. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I have 2 cheap HP laptops running Win10 that I bought from Walmart and they both have been trouble free. My experience with HP hardware has been good. Note that HP ships laptops with HP software that keeps the system up to date and I do install the HP updates when prompted. I think the difference is the updates. No name brands or self/custom built systems don't have automatic updating buillt in which can lead to problems over time.

15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

In my experience, totally irrelevant.
    I have both name and no name brand, they work , or don’t work, exactly the same, windows decide to update, unless you follow the instruction to prevent that, the windows update is built into the software, not the hardware..
    Never did an HP update
    As for the ones who get into fits about how important it is the update for security reasons, just look at the number of threads where update broke the pc versus the number of threads where there was a security issue

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

My SD card reader slot stopped being recognized last week, which would be a pain because I ues it every day for work. I went to the Dell driver site and there was a BIOS update for my laptop marked URGENT. Did it and everything is fine, again.

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes I know, you have given me advice in the past. I have explored some of your suggestions, but often we are living in different worlds.

You are totally into this stuff; I just want a basic little machine that performs simple tasks.

You deal with 750 employees; I just have a simple laptop that I use to access the internet.

When you talk about 'granular control', I don't even really know what that means. I am admittedly hopelessly out of touch with the world in which you operate.

When you or others suggest that I should buy new hardware and software, I resist. I already bought the stuff I have; It cost me a lot of money that was not easy to come up with. Your situation is perhaps different - but for me trying to scrape up $120 for a second-hand laptop is pretty serious.

I come from a time and place where we made what we had last, and didn't fill the dumpster with thousands of dollars worth of 10-year-old equipment. To me, that just seems wasteful, and just plain wrong. So I try to keep my old gear running for the simple uses I require, for as long as I can.

I think that there is probably a simple problem with Windows 10 update as it relates to the degradation of the audio in my laptop. When I remove the latest updates, my audio works just fine. My old-fashioned trouble-shooting mind says to me "the hardware works, obviously". So I come to the conclusion that there is something in the software update that is causing my problem - NOT something in my hardware.

All I am looking for is a little key, some insight into where that problem lies. But I get all kinds of answers that require buying a bunch of new gear. And at a painter's income of $20K p/a, that is an extravagance I can sorely afford.

18. Avi S

Avi S TDPRI Member

jhundt: In my previous post I gave you a lead to what might fix your audio problem. Specifically:

https://www.dell.com/community/Lati...-10-updated-to-1803-sound-now-is/td-p/6079998

Another thought: you can try to sidestep the problem by using a USB soundcard instead. They're pretty cheap nowadays.

Also if you ever want to try Linux on your laptop you might try finding a Linux user group near you. I'm sure someone there would be happy to make you a bootable USB flash drive to try out.

Not wanting or being able to spend money on a new computer when the old one would otherwise work well enough is totally understandable.

SolidSteak likes this.
  19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Ok this is doable with computers, provided you are highly knowledgeable about the inner workings of computers, understand operating system design, and can make repairs where possible. Both hardware and software become outdated very quickly. The folks who can keep old gear running are people who understand computers as well as we understand old tube amps, AND love working on and tweaking them as much as we love playing guitar. Some of those folks are also on TDPRI and have given you sound advice.

The problem you are having is rare. This is in part because the people adventurous enough to try to keep Windows 10 (or more likely, Linux) working on old hardware are not just people with limited budgets. It’s people who are really really into computers, and enjoy the challenge of keeping old gear running. They are not the folks trying to google a solution to fix something on a machine for basic tasks.

Linux may be an option. But if Linux at all feels like it’s too complex, then I think you have your answer. You may just have to find a way to cope with the audio problems until you can save enough for a newer machine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.