1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Davecam48, Jan 14, 2016.

1. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I upgraded from 8.1 on my desktop, but have kept 7 on my laptop. 10 has been running fine so far with no issues. I'm not seeing any real advantages over 7 with my usage, but I don't know what's going on under the hood.

I will say compared to win8, win10 is marvelous, really glad to see the back of that one.

2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I installed Win10 for a friend and had to remove a ton of adware/spyware/malware (whatever you want to call it) because after Win10 was installed it started with all these popup video ads trying to get him to buy stuff. It's running fine now but kind of annoying that Microsoft would do that.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Microsoft didn't do that. I install it on different systems every day. No ads are involved. You had something else going on there.

4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

It was a new HP All-In-One PC, fresh out of the box, came with Windows 8. I de-boxed it, started up Win8, let it run for awhile and then started the free Win10 upgrade. Maybe HP packaged a bunch of crap in Win8 and it carried over to Win10, very possible. Anything to make a buck those bastards. It really killed the system when they were running and popping up every minute or so. The computer runs fine now since I cleaned it up.

5. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Let's just say that after many years, Microsoft and I have come to a parting of the ways. It depends on how you view your computer system, and how much control you want to have.

Personally, I am gobsmacked that a lot of what they are doing is actually legal in making free with people's bandwidth and personal data - and yes, they are shovelling a lot of tracking and telemetry into Win 7 and 8 via updates (It's got to the point where they are deliberately not including information on what updates actually do - and yes, I noticed!). The EULA contains some absolutely astonishing claims (MS reserve the right to delete any file they don't think you have the right to).

From an operational perspective, they give home users no control over what updates they receive, when they receive them, or what they can do if there's a problem. If you have an update that breaks stuff, you can uninstall it... and in their wisdom, MS will install it right back again. Yes, this has been a major problem for some people. You have no choice over when your download or install updates.

So my next system will be MS free. I'm off to the land of Mint, and quite frankly, it's only laziness keeping me on Win 7. It isn't for everyone, but these days, it's pretty darn close.

Whatever your choice of OS, I will say what I always say - back up early, back up often! A few minutes' care of your data will save untold heartache when something goes fruit-shaped (software or hardware).

6. Ironwolf

Yup. That's HP not MS.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I have just gotten vey comfortable with my 8.1. When I temporarily switched to 10, the internet seemed harder to deal with. So I re-installed 8.1.
    I was so weary of 10 that I was even hesitant to click on this thread. Just me I'm sure.

8. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

Windows 10 is a mess. Microsoft is a mess. When 8.1 was out of beta they, of course, replaced it. They promise that 10 will never be out of beta. When MS finishes a project they fire everyone and hire a new team with the mission of doing the same thing a whole new way. Nothing is where it was, nothing is faster, nothing is clearer, the elephant roared and brought forth a mouse.

All week I've been getting an error message at start that my broadband doo-dah and 8.1 whatsis can't work. Then it does. Next week it will be something else. They almost had Explorer finished so they replaced it with a lick and a promise and it's missing stuff Explorer had. Microsoft - I throw my shoe at them.

9. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm still waiting for HP to write a Win 10 driver for the printer I bought recently. It works OK with the generic driver but you lose the duplex feature. That is on HP not MS.

Otherwise, I have had very few problems with Win 10. I have it on four computers that I depend on every day.

10. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I contemplated updating from 8.1 to 10. In the end I got brave and installed Ubuntu 14.

Been running it for nearly a year. Hasn't crashed, hasn't had an issue, hasn't missed a beat.

Gobsmacked, me. So this is what hassle-free computing is all about?

It's really very difficult to not become a Linux Evangelist. Let me repeat that for the Windowz fanbois who think Linux evangelists have some sort of anti-MS rhetoric ... I now believe they actually don't. What they are saying isn't anti-MS, and I can see that's how they read to most.

They are actually just like me. Astounded at how well a computer can work. Astounded that it's not invasive and creepy, and most of all - angry they didn't switch earlier.

Good on MS for realising that Facebook was the new IT paradigm. Good on them for turning their customers into their unpaid staff members. This is one of those situations where I don't hold any malice but prefer to back ... away ... slowly.

In order to still rake in billions they need to exploit their "customer". Such is the 21st century. The great thing is we still have the choice whether we want all our data to belong to them (which raises another theme of who exactly is spying on you, but that's beyond the scope of this forum). Regardless, our data is valuable in the 21st century - and in most instances, we are still free to choose who has access to it. For now.

It's 2016. I'm protecting my privacy. Maybe you should think about doing the same. If you value it. If you don't, Windows 10 is perfect for you.

11. Ironwolf

The Windows 8 drivers, assuming the model isn't too new (and I'm not aware of any models we've released that this doesn't apply to), should provide full functionality in Windows 10 using the same full interface as Windows 8. The Windows 7 drivers should also work with full functionality. Developing the final pre-release tests for these products is what I do for a living, although mostly for the higher end products, very little for consumer inkjets.

12. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

If you have Windows 7, keep it, just keep it... but if you have 8.1 and hate it, absolutely go with 10.

It's a hybrid between the two, and it automatically sets itself according to if you have a touch screen or not (tablet vs Desktop mode).

13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I upgraded my 7 to 10 . I guess that I did not get a clean download now my You-Tube will not play . 0ne NPR website told me that their system did not support 10 for live streaming .
    Other than that I like it . - Bottom line there is no choice 10 is the future .

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I updated my wife's laptop to Win10. After a few days of
    listening to that squawking 'Cortana' we shut it off and now
    all seems fine.

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Been a Linux Ubuntu guy for years but I''m still running Win 7 for audio work only. I sometimes use Protools 8, so there's no way I'm upgrading to Win 10 -- it will definitely render my software, which I paid a lot of money for, useless. I've already learned that lesson with my Macs which I run mainly for film editing and graphic design stuff.

16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I took the chance of doing the standard upgrade to windows 10 on my main workstation. Only after successful other laptop upgrades and general reports of success.

I have an ancient sound card that is way out of support and I assumed that wouldn't work so had researched what I was going to replace it with. It didn't work at first but software re installation sorted it.

To my great surprise Win 10 has given me performance benefits in handling large audio files. It has overall been faster more stable and better than other wins. Only one computer locked situation since the upgrade. Yes that shouldn't happen at all. But did so with greater frequency in other Windows. I use Reason, Record, Wavelab and other editors.

17. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I'm not an Evangelist of anything it's literally against my religion:D I know people think I am a linux nut though. That's why I get on these threads though. Linux is an amazing operating system. It surprises me everyone doesn't use it.

I really don't mind people using windows. Any computer is better than no computer. It's just there always like windows 7 was better than Vista. Windows ten was better that 8. Vista was so bad it was almost unusable apparently so was 8. So my guess is 7 and 10 Are just slightly better than unusable. I never have any problems running linux. Old programs work fine. New programs work fine. Never any crap that comes on my computer from the seller I have to clean out only to find it's still slow. I use ubuntu 14.04 now it's end of life is 2019. I like it so much I probably won't even bother upgrading till then. That's the other thing I like about linux. They come out with a new cutting edge release every 6 months. They are supported for 9 months. Every two years is a new release that is supported for 5 years.
    I know I can use it for 5 years with out having to update. All new programs will work on it and all older programs from previous releases work on it with out a hitch.

I really hope windows 10 is great. I want everyone to have a nice computer that runs well. Who would I have to argue with about computers on TDPRI if it wasn't for windows or mac users:D

18. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Your computer has problems handling large audio files on windows? It's an audio file there is no such thing as large audio files. I think my files on linux may get up to like ten gigs but those are small compared to most peoples. I know cause I constantly erase them. Figure 10 gigs is a small fraction of a tb. Linux handles them like they were a 10kb word file. So coming from linux when you say your computer is seeing performance benefits running audio files is like me hearing you say. You upgraded to windows ten and you can see performance benefits when running wolfenstien 3d.

19. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

I upgraded both my desktop and laptop to 10 from 7. The upgrades were uneventful and 10 is working fine on both computers. It didn't take long to learn the new interface. It's a keeper for me.

20. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Anyone know the story behind the "Redstone" major update I'm hearing about ??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.