Windows 10 ......... worth it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Davecam48, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hi All. Being a computer tragic, I would like to know the low-down on Windows 10. I am currently using Windows 7 and am plagued daily by pop-up screens telling me to change to 10 FOR FREE!!!!!!

I suspect that 10 should be better, but is it, and have the early problems I heard about been ironed out?

I would also like to know if things that I have already working on 7 will be transferred to 10 i.e. my favourites list etc. I am so backward with computers that I still use Internet Explorer. My grandson thinks I used to ride a dinosaur to school, which as I tell him is true, but the trick is in getting the saddle on him.

DC

nick0 likes this.
  2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

IMO I'd stay with 7 until they no longer run updates for it , then buy a new computer that comes with 10 on it . I did not get a clean download & now my YouTubes will not play . Objectively there is no improvement for me with 10 - otherwise I like it .

amplifiedhermit and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I think it is excellent. I have been working with it since the earliest pre-release builds, around 2 years now. It is running on all the Windows computers in my home network, save for the domain controller and one old laptop. However, a lot of the people around here hate it, usually along with any other MS product, so take it or leave it, whichever way you want to go.

bloomz likes this.
  4. PaulieBoy

PaulieBoy Former Member

I love Win10. Microsoft got it right this time.

bloomz likes this.
  5. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Ya I have to admit my laptop never crashes now and my home built is fast as lightning. I agree it is an improvement.

6. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

I consider myself to be extremely tech savvy. I'm majoring in computer engineering, minoring in computer science, and I've been building and fixing computers all my life.

Currently, my main running operating system is Windows 7, and in my opinion, this is currently the best operating system at the moment... at least for the average consumer. (all things taken into consideration... given the lack of compatibility and user-friendliness for linux-based OS's)

Before Windows 7, my main system ran Windows XP and it was way better than Windows Vista or anything that came before XP in terms of reliability, tech support, privacy, compatibility... etc. etc.

The only reason I switched over to Windows 7 was because Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP. Windows 8 was horrible. Very "tablet" based with no desktop/laptop computer-user in mind. Microsoft seems to "skip" an operating system being great.
    Ex: Win XP = great, Win Vista = horrible, Win 7 = great, Win 8 = horrible, Win 10 = promising... so we'll see where this goes.

Windows 10 still has A LOT of bugs. There is basically no privacy. Freshly installed, Windows 10 has practically every privacy setting turned off. It takes a very tech savvy person to 'fix' these settings... and there are some settings that you can't even turn off. Microsoft is gathering a lot of data from windows 10 users. Cortana (Basically Windows 10's version of Apple's "Siri" service) is unreliable but it looks promising. Win10 is also still too new. Games and other software have had a lot of compatibility issues with Win10... Last I tried Win10 you couldn't download google chrome OR EVEN JAVA.

I do see one upside to you downloading Win10. You mentioned you used Internet Explorer... *shiver* Microsoft's Windows Edge (basically the new Internet Explorer) is actually outstanding. I didn't expect this from Microsoft but it almost rivals Google Chrome. You are in for a treat in terms of speed and reliability when you use MS Edge.

In terms of being user friendly, Win10 is very user friendly from the perspective of someone coming from Windows 7, it is even more user friendly from the perspective of someone coming from Windows 8. It is still very tablet-based but with the desktop/laptop computer-user in mind.

You have to remember that even though Microsoft released Windows 10, it is still considered to be in the "beta testing" category even though it isn't categorized as such.

The short answer... given your circumstances, I'd stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7. Then switch to Windows 10. Let Microsoft handle user-reported issues and bugs before you go into Windows 10. Don't get Win10 unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary because it's hindering your career/work or something. Otherwise, you are much better off running Win7 and your computer probably runs faster with Win7.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    amplifiedhermit and tery like this.
  7. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

Win10 broke my trackpad scrolling. For that reason alone, I hate it. It doesn't matter what they made better. I use scrolling all the time, and now it kicks me out to the desktop 1/4 of the time. Some feature where you can change out of an application just by using your trackpad. I never hit it on purpose, and I frequently hit it accidentally. I hate when an OS update breaks something essential. (I went from 8 to 10 based on all those ad boxes telling me to do so for free.)

BorderRadio and nick0 like this.
  8. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've been using 10 heavily since last fall, on very demanding work/applications (ESRI ArcMAP 10.3, Leica Cyclone 9.3, and lots of Autodesk 3D apps) and it actually seems to be getting better with every update. However, I really can't do anything for a couple days after an update , which is ok as long as I know its coming. As a qualifier I should mention I build all my own workstations and generally have up-to-date hardware and drivers, 6 systems on the LAN all win10 64. Everything I am using computer-wise for research and paying-gigs runs well on 10, YMMV.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing but many positive experiences here but I've only done the upgrades on first tier hardware, virtual machines and the systems that didn't start out with any problems.

Some programs might not be compatible. In my case that was fine because all the updates were improvements.

More and more I do clean upgrades or installs and have pure Windows - no utilities or add-ons that came with PCs. Then you have a super clean system and no junk like having a Surface, Apple product or Nexus type Android.

The age of your system might influence what you do. If not a VM, I'm doing these upgrades on late model systems that will spare end of life software problems later.

I purposely split the last 4 of same laptop model I buy for c suite staff between the factory Win 7 load with HP's software and fresh installed Windows 10. They are noticeably better with Windows 10 and don't need the time wasted being patched like the 7 versions.

bloomz likes this.
  10. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Some folks like it, others have issues with it but here is the official consensus and this from my longtime tech...Choose wisely...

Should I install Windows 10?If your computer has Windows 7 – we recommend that you DO NOT install Windows 10 and stay with Windows 7 until the year 2020 when support for Windows 7 is currently scheduled to be discontinued, then upgrade to the latest operating system or purchase a new computer at that time. Windows 10 is dramatically different, some programs and devices may not work with Windows 10, and there’s no compelling reason to upgrade. If you have Windows 8/8.1, if or when you decide to update make sure your data is backed up and proceed with caution – or have Computer Techs install the upgrade for you. Be aware that operating system upgrades can be problematic and several previous Windows features have been stripped from Windows 10.

amplifiedhermit and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  11. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

From my personal experience, an existing system that's moderately old (I built mine in 2008 but a gaming rig so on the high end) I would be reluctant to update. I'm rolling my forced to Win10 updated machine back to 7 when I'm sure everything's on my new system.

I did get a new system and with all new, again a gaming rig so top of the line gear, Windows 10 does work very well. I am having some sort of problem with the audio fuzzing out periodically which seems to be a known issue with the LAN card for some reason but which doesn't cause problems in games (games generally have exclusive access to the audio so the Windows loop and network card seem to be conflicting) and Firefox has crashed the system hard (power off hard) twice now.

In general though it works very well.

Carl

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Alternately, you can stick with 7 until support runs out, then go with Linux. My desktop has never been happier. ACPI functions such as suspend and hibernate simply didn't work at all under Windows, and they now work flawlessly under Linux, and are fast. Plus, you don't have to worry about it phoning home with crap they'll use against you to try to sell stuff or worse...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    tery and amplifiedhermit like this.
  13. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

If Windows 7 works for you, I'd say keep it because it will be supported for several more years. Windows 10 upgrades can be problematic and it doesn't really do anything that Win 7 doesn't. There are also a lot of privacy concerns with Win 10 because its constantly sending Microsoft information about how you use your computer, what you search for, etc.

tery likes this.
  14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks for all the good advice fellas, I think I'll stick with 7 until the support ceases. By then I'll be up for a new pc anyway and who knows what will be available then.

All this assuming I make it that far. ;)

DC

amplifiedhermit likes this.
  15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Used Windows religiously since 1.0. Around 7 years ago I completely converted to Macs and will never own a Windows machine again - couldn't give me one for free! By the time you buy all the needed software AND spend the time getting it to work right AND buying all the anti-virus and utilities etc etc a $400 Windows 10 machine costs at least as much as a fully-loaded a MacBook Pro.

I still help friends with their window machines, and if you HAVE to stay with Windows I would suggest NOT moving to 10 yet. It's a mess. 7 is not exactly wonderful, but it's more stable than 10.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  16. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

To make it short, bought two new laptops a couple of months ago with Win10 pre-installed. Found it to be much better than 8.1 (which admittedly isn't saying much), and was quiet easy to become comfortable with over Win7. In fact, because of that, upgraded my two other Win7 laptops to 10. After having 10 on these laptops for quite sometime, I don't find any issues and like it much more over the previous Windows operating system versions, at least, 7, 8.0 and 8.1. To each his own on likes, dislikes, and personal preferences, but this has been my experience, and I have no issues with this version.

17. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've done everything from Mac to Linux to DOS to Windows. Windows 10 is very good.

18. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

I know a few pc techs they love windows 10,
    Just make sure ur pc can run it ,
    Has enough memory and all that stuff
    Or u can shut off automactic updates off lol

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

lots o' spyware with that one

My oldest son recently was lamenting that he'd bought a replacement hard disc, and forgotten to turn off auto updates on it after installing it, and one fine day, presto-he's running W10 :oops: He is fervently working to backtrack.

Don't know why MS wants to now treat their customers with the same level of indifference that Apple always has used, when deciding what is "best" for them...

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

This exactly. I was a staunch MS lover for a long time, but after a while, I just couldn't justify it any longer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.