Windows 10 - Whether You Want It Or Not

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by overlock, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

It's interesting in part because using it to mirror your boot drive is impossible since it wipes all the disks (and it says it in the SS docs; you can't mirror a boot drive in Windows; at all, arguably a prime reason for mirroring disks in my experience as a system admin).

Carl

2. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

Over the past few years, I have generally been satisfied with Windows 7 on my existing pc's; however, I recently purchased two new laptops, both with preinstalled Windows 10. Unlike a previous experience on another pc that had Windows 8.1, which I was not impressed with, and reason for my reluctance to upgrade from 7. I have found 10 to be a nice upgrade, retaining much of the 7 feel, and a far improvement over 8.1. As a result, I proceeded to upgrade my older pc's. I did not encounter any problems during the upgrade process, nor since, except I had to change a video setting on one, which was causing an error message regarding a video setting. In fact, the performance of one of the pc's improved. I don't know if I am just lucky, since there have been so many negative comments from others experience, but as a result of my experience, I would have to say, this OS upgrade is an improvement over previous MS OS versions.

3. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Windows is like that with a lot of things. I would say most things. I heard someone saying on here linux is no good for photo or video. That's a load. 15 gb for a protools install? I can install my wholre music OS in that space like 5 times over. I still haven't heard one great sounding album recorded on or mastered in protools. There is no protooled album that sounds as good as houses of the holy and that was recorded in 1972. Heck there is no album recorded or mastered on protools with the fidelity and sound quality of the first spin doctors album and the spin doctors sucked.

As far as photo shop...... I grew up having a light table in my garage. Like not a computer a literal table of light for actual lithography which is what computer graphic design is a highly and I mean highly dumbed down version of. There use to be tradesmen called lithographers they were commercial artists and you just can't teach the eye for that stuff in college. I mean your just not going to get the same quality on the computer as blowing up a picture to the size of a table in a darkened room and looking at the negative on top of a light table. i don't know if that's photoshops fault. Photoshop has defiantly dumbed down the processes where graphic designers are less like the artists that did the commercial lithography back in the day and more like the sandwich artists at subway.
    No one is going to believe me but get your hands on original copies of nat geo magazines from the 70s. The lithography was superb and the photos were what photographers judged themselves by.

Thing is my ears probably take in a gigabyte of info a second and processes it's from every direction 1000 different ways. Its why we have two of them for depth and direction. Same with eyes except its probably a Tb with stereoscopic vision. Film and tape were way beyond bits. You can get an old photo and look with a maginfing glass and see the little dots. Year ago guys use to blow those things up and add like 10000 times more dots and new what the human eye could take in when they shrunk it back down. They had cameras the size of a room to do this with.

One day I predict the audio and video input and output devices will catch up with linux. Case in point look at some of the stuff kids are doing with graphics pads and gimp and a lot of these kids are just kids. Think of what they will be doing when they are 40 or 50 in a commercial setting. Figure they already know the software and can do what they do when they turn 18 hit them up with a job and teach them the commercial aspects of that stuff. I mean going to college for graphic design is a joke I have talk to guys in the trades about this. Once tech catches up with linux we are going to stop living in a world devoid of art which we have been for a long time. Heck put a paint brush in some of these kids hands.

4. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

Haven't run windows for years now, don't miss anything about it least of all the continual pestering and viruses/spyware.
    As for stories about Linux being difficult to use, installed Linux Mint XFCE on an ancient machine for a very computer illiterate friend 2 years ago, never gave her any instruction, she never emailed me for help and the system is still up and running as I left it with no problems whatsoever. Solid as a rock. Like a tele it will do most of what you want to do, and reliably too.

5. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I learned mechanical drafting and architectural drawing in high school (had two electives) and my second duty assignment in the Army was as a graphic artist. Battalion for two posts (Ft Meade and in Erlangen Germany) then as a Post graphic artist in Ft Belvoir and a part time graphic artist in Alexandria Virginia (one of my foam core posters was on TV once :) ). I used light boxes, had drafting tables, wax machines, diazo machines, photo developing labs, and still have a bunch of my gear from back then (lots of templates, scales, triangles (45 and 30/60), t-squares, and my board). I moved into type-setting at Ft Belvoir and from there into computers and programming.

Fun stuff :)

Carl

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

As a full time graphic designer since the early 80s, I can sort of identify with what you're saying. Back in the day I was also a newspaper photographer and I had my own darkroom. I smelled like fixer and silver nitrate for years, I'm sure.

Photoshop is just a tool. I've spent years learning it, 8 hours a day sometimes. Its part of the process now. Blaming photoshop for jerk-off garbage design is like blaming a cow for a bad hamburger. Or blaming mustard for a bad sandwich.

The other part of the Nat Geo story is that was a REALLY unusual situation. Nat Geo had their own printing plant and used special paper as well.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I had my mom running Ubuntu for quite a while. Once I showed her what the differences were, she was much, much less annoyed and frustrated by that as Windows.
    Incidentally, I noticed yesterday that Steam was available in the repos for the distro I'm running these days and decided to install. Once I logged in, I found I could download in install natively all the titles from Valve that I bought, such as Half-Life and Portal 1 & 2. I fired up Portal, and it took me back to where I had left off back in 2011 when I had it on Windows. Finally solved the last 2 levels and beat the game last night. :D
    My GRUB menu lists 7 as "Wintendo," because that's really the only function it serves for me in a home environment. If more games keep coming available for 'nix, I'll quickly get to where I won't see the need to have Windows at home at all.
    4 more years of extended support for 7. If Valve points the way, that'll more than I need, and I'll be done with the whole thing.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Well If Windows-10 wipes out your ms-office and you have to find all the old codes and cds'...I guess I am not going to do it...I probably hurled them years ago.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Didn't wipe out anything of mine and I'm part of the fast ring Beta group. I get all the new builds days or weeks before everyone else, including ones normal users never see. My system has been completely redone with new OS versions at least a dozen times in the past year. No data loss.

10. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

With the new system up, I bought Windows 10 Pro, and everything seems to be running just peachy. I've been playing the games I like playing without a problem.

About the only issue right now is I moved the 2 TB drives from my old system to my new one and the ACLs refuse to let me access any of the files on the disk. I may have to put it back, tar it all up, scp it to my server, and scp it to the new system to dump all the ACLs.

[​IMG]

Carl

11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Not true
    Ms office keeps s chugging through the upgrades

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

It wont erase my office. I heard it asked for your serial number again..Not sure I still have..
    tks

13. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Sorry I was not clear, it was the Motherboard swap that required me to recertify some of my applications. Win 10 recognized them all just fine.

14. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm running Windows Home edition. Well, that's incorrect. Sort of. I'm running Windows 7 Premium. Not that it makes any difference in the thread discussion.....,.

15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My OS upgraded again Friday night. No big deal. Nothing significant or, for that matter, even visibly different. Everything is still working and no keys or codes required.

uriah1 likes this.
  16. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mine hasn't upgraded yet on it's own - I guess I should be happy. But, if it's gonna upgrade on it's own I wish it would hurry up and do it and get it over with. Besides, I don't have the cash to buy Windows 10 nor a new computer - I'm still paying payments on the one I'm using right now.

17. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I love doze 10

18. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Stupid thing has an audio buzz. When playing anything other than a game, it'll buzzzzzz and everything stops for a second or two. It's a known issue with several suggestions but no solutions.

Carl

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.