Windows 10 - Whether You Want It Or Not

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by overlock, Mar 11, 2016.

1. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

About 15GB is the recommended free space for an install -- at least on the older version I'm running -- I imagine newer versions will need more. I generally use Reaper for tracking and mixing which is far smaller and more efficient but I do fall back on PT for mastering quite a bit. I also paid a lot of $ for PT a few years back and don't want throw money down the toilet by upgrading to Win 10.

2. wildschwein

Depends on what you do -- obviously doesn't suit your requirements. I think Linux isn't great for audio work either. Disagree about Libre Office though -- it's no more bloated than MS Office and is more similar than different in terms of usability. I prefer to use Libre Office on my Mac as I hate the Pages app. The driver issue was the case about a decade ago but it has moved on now and most installs are pretty much turn key now. I find for day-to-day computing like Web browsing, emails and just hanging out on the Net Linux is way cool and boots up super fast without the hassle of viruses and shxxt-loads of background processes. It's also a cool way to get good performance out of older machines. I find Windows takes around 10 minutes to fully boot up even when optimised. I always have a Linux partition on my Windows machines and generally live on that side of the partition -- you can also read the Windows partition from inside the Linux OS (but not vice versa) which is sweet.

jvin248 and hotpot like this.
  3. wildschwein

edit

4. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

You're basically just trolling the thread at this point, but no your system will not explode if you turn off automatic updates. You still have access to any security update you could want, you just get to choose to apply them when you want and not have them forced on you.

As far as delaying the update to a new OS, that's across the board, not just Microsoft. I learned that in studios that used ProTools with Macs and it was the same exact philosophy. All this Pespi vs Coke bs is tired.

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Way easier to upgrade a pc to win 10 than startup an ElCapitan iMac
    Just saying
    The better system is the one you are familiar with.
    With the fiasco caused by the last iOS update on my iPhone and iPad , I will never update my iPhone or iPad. Learned to go to settings, manage storage and delete the downloaded update, have to do that about once every 2 weeks, otherwise it asks to update every hour.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think we can all agree that the new obtrusive model of computing is less than desirable to many. How intrusive it gets is anyone's guess - personally I think it would be naive to assume it won't get worse.

straightface and voodoostation like this.
  7. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Both of which are BS. Microsoft basically assumes they own the machine that I bought the parts for and assembled. Um, no.
    The part I highlighted though is what is really irritating. A lot of folks have plans that limit their bandwidth or cap their data, such as those that are forced to use satellite service. Windows automatically downloading something they may not even want and could potentially wipe out their allowance goes too far.

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

funny thing about our society: nothing should stay the same. Make a frigging big deal out of everything, & keep changing stuff constantly

10. Boubou

You should probably read the license agreement on the windows software.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

So it's simply ok for them to possess hundreds of dollars of people's property then?
    Still saying no.

hotpot likes this.
  12. Boubou

Well, have you read it?
    I havent , but it probably goes something like this: they own the OS (windows 7-8-10) and reserve themselves the right to change and modify it anytime they want, when you pay them they grant you the right to use it, you never own it.
    As for your property, you can install windows on a used popsicle stick to prevent Microsoft from controlling hundreds of dollars of your property. Or, write your own Operating Sysytem.
    I get why you guys are all upset i do. I just decided to do the upgrade and moved on.
    Yeah really, why am i here reading all your bickering?
    It works for me, hope you guys figure something out

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    lammie200 likes this.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Let me share a potentially disasterous experience with the Windows 10 upgrade.

After my Dad clicked the button to upgrade his old Dell to Windows 10, he called in panic to say that none of his documents were opening up when he double clicks them, and just some strange window was popping up.
    I logged in via Teamviewer and to my dismay, I saw a window displaying "Upgrade to Office 365" or "Keep using Office 2010".
    Now, the trick is, if you select to keep using your old Office, it asks you for a serial number which my Dad threw away years ago after he (legally) bought it. Strangely, I could open Word,Excel,Powerpoint on their own but not by double clicking a .docx, .xlsx or .ppx file. I soon realized what needed to be done: for each file type in Explorer, I had to right-click and set the appropriate office application to open it with. The upgrade gave all these files an orange icon linking to this atrocious marketing "malware".
    Someone without an IT savy family member could easily end up dishing out for the MS Office subscription when the old Office 2010 still works just fine. Way to go Microsoft:mad:

14. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Well Win 10 did not play nice with my 10 year old 775 socket motherboard on my main music/video machine. So instead of fighting the inevitable I upgraded to a newer 2011v3 motherboard, 5820 CPU and 32 gig of RAM. About $750 all together.

One trick on upgrading. There are several software packages out there, some for free which will get the regestration key for most common software. I did run that so I could reinstall Photoshop, Sonar, and Komplete. Only needed it for Photoshop, bit it worked out well.

Windows 10 SCREAMS on it, is WAY more stable then Win 7 on the old system. And honestly since you can use the old style interface I have lost 0 productivity since moving to it. In fact if anything I have gained a bunch now that I have not had a single crash on it.

I do have a Win XP machine that drives an old parallel port light controller, but as others have said, that machine is never connected to the internet and there is no chance of it upgrading itself.

YMMV, -H

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Hardly. You just turn the Mac on, wait about ten seconds, and bingo, it's on.

16. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

That is so true. I use Macs primarily, but also have a Windows machine. I have always felt there's a big philosophical difference between them. I feel like the Mac is my computer. But the Windows machine feels like Microsoft's computer, and they just let me use it.

Unfortunately, it seems like Apple is slowing moving in that same direction these days...

amplifiedhermit likes this.
  17. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

I blame a lot of this on the mobile philosophy bleeding over into the desktop world. Companies like MS are trying to turn our PC's into smartphones. They want to force us to use an OS where they have control and can do pretty-much whatever they want, including spy on us, collect personal information about us, change things on a whim without asking, and find new ways to charge us for things that we already bought. I remember reading that MS's ultimate goal for Windows 10 was to turn it into a subscription service, so you'd have to pay them every month or it just shuts off. Its actually the old phone company model where people would rent a telephone, but they never ended up owning it. Even after paying thousands of dollars, if they stopped paying the fee, someone would come by and pick up the (by then completely obsolete) phone.

18. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, mainly to run Minecraft for Win10. Have to say I like it a lot so far! It looks great, bootup and shutdown times are much faster... all of my programs and utilities work with it.

I teach computer science, btw, so I'm pretty picky, and it's all mission-critical. Satisfied customer so far...

19. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Sounds a lot like the "new phone company model" to me, like AT&T Next or Apple's upgrade program. You finance a phone for 18 or 30 months depending on the plan. But you can turn it in after 12 or 24 months, before it's paid off, and get the latest greatest new model. Then the cycle starts again. I guess it's a bit different because you do have equity in the phone, but the idea is that you will never fully pay it off.

20. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Interesting aside here.

I bought a new system (noted above) and purchased Windows 10 Pro (I'm on it right now). I have two 2TB drives and I want to set up a RAID 1, basically taking the two drives and mirroring them together so they look like a single 2TB drive. It provides some protection against loss of data when a drive takes a crap. Safety in numbers.

Anyway, in Unix I can attach an existing drive to the Mirroring software (I'm thinking Solstice Disk Suite and LVM; both software RAID vs a hardware RAID solution with Perc controllers for example) without losing any data and then attach one or more drives to the Mirroring software without impact to the original data.

Windows 10 has "Storage Spaces" where it wipes all the data from all the drives being added to "Storage Spaces". Not only that, you can tell the virtual drive it has 30 TB of space available to it even if you only have 2 TB. When you get close to 2 TB you get an alert.

Interesting way to manage multiple drives :/

Carl

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.