Windows 10 - Whether You Want It Or Not

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by overlock, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

If I use the word "you" or "your" in the following it is meant for all of humanitry for the record and not any individual poster who may take offence to it.
    I am simply sharing information.
    It's not hard to stop the update if you don't want it. I understand some folks reluctance to change. I even suggest to some people daily that they do not upgrade. Every case is different and every computer is different. Hey, I hung onto Vista forever on one machine. Vista, another version noone liked. It worked perfect for me and I do an aweful lot of things on a computer. My apologies if I gave any of you the wrong impression.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree about it's merits.
    I had to buy a new sound card and actually while I was testing the preview, I decided to build a new machine to suit which is perhaps the best way for most people. I DID toss a lot of programs in the pre-upgrade preparation period and I believe probably a lot of those programs probably wouldn't run on win10.
    Microsoft has stated that win10 will be the last version of Windows. Time will tell.
    They will support win7 for many years. A huge amount of businesses just switched to it recently. It often takes IT sections years to figure out things like that and then they adopt the old version.
    A lot of people got a shock when they stopped supporting xp since it would come up with an error if it tried to connect to the update server since it was gone.
    I kept a lot of people going a bit longer by simply turning off auto update but of course without keeping up to virus' malware, spamware. Yeah. xp.
    There will come a day when Win7 will go the same route. It will be many years.
    If you don't see yourself connecting multiple devices, never think you'll need direct x 12, don't care about enhanced security and improvement in the underlying operating system code, can't see yourself getting into virtual reality things, don't want the ability to walk into a room and have your windows 10 phone connect to your TV wirelessly, don't care about things like the oculous rift, the holo lens, don't expect to live a long time, Win 7 will do you just fine.
    If any of you think you may want to get a new wiindows 10 machine, I can't recommend highly enough to get one with a 64 bit version of Win 10 on it.
    This part is important
    The last two programs I installed on my machine were 64 bit operating system only. Hello.
    So good programs are being produced as 64 bit only. Of course they are. They are incredible and need the speed.
    The free Win 10 update only updates from what you have to what you have such as 32 bit home version to 32 bit home version. 64 pro to 64 bit pro and such.
    What does this mean? It means good software companies are making good software designed around good fast operating systems.
    If you (not you overlock. this is info for all) want to run the latest software that requires speed and power look out, it'll have to be win 10 64 bit and not just win10. Food for thought? Free update? Yes. version to version.
    Most will be updating in short order. Great things are coming very fast.
    Programs are starting to require more data paths and better processors and memory. A win7 machine? If it is a 32 bit version and machine, it is a great candidate to practice win10 on before you get your new 64 bit beast of a machine running direct x 12 (only win10 supports that ,I hear.) that will itself be obsolete in 5 years. Dual core, quad core, 6, 8 core processors.
    My brother is writing code for 128 cores right now. He runs nothing but Linux at home and at work since it is java based programming which is not platform dependent.
    Copy all your data somewhere else first.
    My recommendation? Most should not update but simply buy a new machine designed for the future running 64 bit Win 10. Unfortunately, it is neare impossible to BUY a decent machine. One has to build their own to get in the real ball park. If you do anything that requires power such as movie creation and gaming. Win10 does not like older hardware.
    You would be better to sell me your old laptop for $50 before the rush so I can install Linux on it and be happy happy happy. At least it will still recognise the mic and cam.
    The free update or even previous versions if 32 bit is just a very short stop gap.
    Microsoft knows you will have to buy either a 64 bit operating system machine or a copy of win 10 64 bit within the next few years anyway.
    Now don't go rushing out to buy Microsoft stock right away. The line forms behind me. They are about to rock the computing world.

2. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I haven't been using my Windows 7 machine much for the past couple months, it has been turned off while I finish a big project on my Mac. But this thread got me worried, so I fired up the Windows box and it installed some updates, but it is still on Windows 7. I am running Windows 7 Professional, maybe that makes a difference?

I would be really unhappy if I was forced to update to Windows 10. I only use Windows for some very specific things, not as an all around system. Don't use it for e-mail, rarely use it for web browsing. All my software is old and I don't want to deal with incompatibilities.

I had my updates set for "recommended" but just changed the setting so it will check but then ask if I want to install. Hopefully that will prevent this from happening.

I found this article about the issue: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-existing-windows-users-can-refuse-microsofts-windows-10-update/

It sounds like you can stop the update by just refusing to accept the license agreement however:
    • Just say no to the EULA. If the auto-update begins, you can still stop Windows 10 from completing the install by refusing to accept the software licensing terms and conditions.

3. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

How much room does PT take up on a computer?

4. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I can't figure out this multiquote thing so:
    For most people, I have to agree with Crishendrix a few post above. Most people should delay or turn off the upgrade until the 11 hour. Software and drivers need to catch up a bit. I don't buy any software now if it does not say Windows 10 64 bit required. Of course my machine supports 64 bit as most newer ones do but certainly not all. I try to get as many years out of a piece of software and hardware that I can. To do that, I buy near the best I can afford. Then I am good for years.
    I mean, have you seen the price of Sibelius? I am still using version 7..2
    I'll wait a bit longer to step up on that one.
    If you are going to update. Make sure you do the update on all other software and drivers first.
    This will give you your best chance that they will work.
    Then again Microsoft isn't the only company that doesn't support old programs.
    It's a bit of a crap shoot. Best of luck to all that upgrade. It should go well. There is no reason it shouldn't but over and over it gets messed up.
    People reboot while it is still working and updating. Walk away for 4 hours if you are thinking of manually rebooting during an upgrade. Then restart if you need to.
    Only restart if it asks you to and not to cure an apparent hung computer unless you've given it a chance.
    This is not your normal update. It may have to take ALL your data and put it somewhere else in the process. maybe it scans it while it is there for virus, malware and such to make sure the upgraded end result is "clean" It is not always a wham Bam thank you ma'm thing. Oh, but it's not doing anything. It's hung. Just because the hard drive light is not flashing and there is no whirriing and clicking does not necessarily mean it is hung. Of course it coul dbe hung but don't take the chance. Let it ride a bit longer.
    What if it is scanning all your data on a remote server before it uploads it back to your machine? WAKE UP! slow down. Be patient.
    Some will say, "my update only took an hour". Others restart it after 2.
    Never mind that the 2 hr hard restart guy has 60 kazillion kagigs of music and video files. It takes time!
    Win10 will do a lot of weird things for the first week as it seems to tweak itself and one update causes another.
    I have got 2 more machines to upgrade for people and after that I am going to tell folks to just buy a new machine running a 64 bit version of win 10 with at least 8 gig of ram and at least a 1TB SSD drive.
    Wasting time upgrading 2 gig ram based machines is a bit silly.
    I am not going to update any more 32 bit machines just so people can say "I have windows 10" It is not that much different from Windows 7 on the surface.
    It looks and operates for the user similar. The changes lie deeper into the operating system and a lot of it is designed for things that are yet to come.
    2016 will see an explosion in virtual reality stuff. Win 10 is getting ready for it now. 3rd party Developers are still writing the software for the new windows in a lot of cases.
    32 bit Win10? Just a bandaid with not much adhesive on it, like an old car that you just hope will stay together till spring. WIN 10 64 with those specs is really where we need to be heading. No, not right today.
    Linux is cool. I love it and it is a fantastic use of all those old laptops that people are dumping now every single day. I mean, there is noway I am going to buy 4 copies of Microsoft Office so that I, as an individual can run it wherever I go.
    Linux, open office, libre office and a huge variety of fairly good software is free.
    Ubuntu and Linux Mint both rock. As do other distros but it doesn't do it all.
    Enjoy the ride or....not. Regardless, I wish you all the best in all that YOU choose to do.

P.S. don't flame me for simply sharing my thoughts and trying to be helpful.
    DO what makes YOU happy.

5. tonytrout

Funny you should mention that. I got a call from one of those idiots the other day that said something about me visiting some websites (or some sort of crap) and my computer was going to experience problems. Now, how in the world do they know if my computer's gonna cause me problems in four days?

I hung up on them and they haven't called back since......

6. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

True. I'm a Linux geek and years ago, I used to have to do geeky things to get and keep a desktop Linux system running. Not so much anymore. Install and go. The bigger learning curve now is, IMO, adapting to new programs. Some of the same programs are available. Some are not.

I wouldn't recommend Linux to everyone, but you DON'T have to be a geek for it anymore. If you're a bit computer saavy, not tied to any Win specific programs, and willing to adapt, it is a great alternative.

But still, not necessarily for everyone.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I feel the same way about my Macs.

8. tonytrout

To use multi-quote all you have to do is click on "Quote" again and then, in the message window where your reply goes, select "Insert these quotes?" It's that simple.

I, for one, appreciate and agree 100% with all of the info you shared. The last time I updated a computer was before I got my current one which is running Windows 7 Home (I think). It took a good two to three hours to get everything back up and running like I had it due to having an external HDD that I had stuff saved onto.

9. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

I integrate Windows 7 updates and install using a usb stick so no updates to d/l.
    That way I choose what goes on the pc.

But then I am more intelligent than your average person.

10. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Most of this has already been said but I'll say that Win10 is not forced upon you. If it somehow begins running on your machine, it was somehow initiated by you.

My longtime computer tech says this...

Should I install Windows 10? If your computer has Windows 7 – we recommend that you DO NOT install Windows 10 and stay with Windows 7 until the year 2020 when support for Windows 7 is currently scheduled to be discontinued, then upgrade to the latest operating system or purchase a new computer at that time. Windows 10 is dramatically different, some programs and devices may not work with Windows 10, and there’s no compelling reason to upgrade. If you have Windows 8/8.1, if or when you decide to update make sure your data is backed up and proceed with caution – or have Computer Techs install the upgrade for you. Be aware that operating system upgrades can be problematic and several previous Windows features have been stripped from Windows 10.

I'm running Win7 and it's supported through year 2020 so until something better comes along, I'll stay with it...

11. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

If you have auto updates enabled it will be annoyingly forced on you and the less savvy people will have it installed before they know it.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah not sure what the problem is, just disable auto updates. I can sure understand being pissed after being unwillingly forced along into 10, but it's so easy to avoid

13. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

My wife and daughter both prefer to stay at 7 on theirs, so that's what I did. Just turned off auto update on both.

14. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

The problem is that most Win 7 users, myself included, have the system set up to load recommended updates automatically because it has always been understood that these were the security-critical patches, vulnerability fixes etc. Microsoft pushed Windows 10 out in the same category, which was underhanded and has evidently entrapped an awful lot of people into an upgrade they neither wanted nor needed. Those who happily vet all their updates and fiddle with the OS on a weekly basis won't have fallen for it, of course, and fair play to them, but some of us just want our computers to do what they're supposed to do with a minimum of human intervention. So it isn't good enough that the Win10 upgrade is (relatively) easy to avoid. Scrubbing a perfectly satisfactory operating system and replacing it with an unproven one is not something that we should have to take steps to avoid. If the man from Fender snuck into your house one night and "upgraded" all your teles with strats, you'd be a bit hacked off, no?

Boyd and Nick JD like this.
  15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And the other obvious thing with people who "choose" to stick with 7, is that they are no longer getting updates!

How long until their system becomes vulnerable?

I don't even know how this is legal.

On that note, my Ubuntu 14.04 politely asked me if I'd like to update today. I respectfully declined as I will do that at another time.

Microsoft's entire business model relies on its customers ignorance and fear of change. What a ****ty way to do business.

hotpot likes this.
  16. Nick JD

...in other news: might need to tweak the profanity filter, Paul! :eek: Or has the policy changed unbeknownst to moi? o_O

Like the new emoticons!

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Win7 is still getting updates. I got about a gigs worth last week.

18. Nick JD

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  19. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

There's always been "recommended" updates and "critical" updates. The critical ones are the security patches, the recommended ones are more general like driver updates and you typically don't need those. I haven't fired up my Windows machines for a while though so I don't know which category they've been using for the latest Win 10 crap. If its in the recommended updates and it clearly states what it is, then its not quite so bad. I'd be more worried if they're sneaking it out as a critical patch with a generic sounding name.

20. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

Sure, Linux is fine if you don't need Adobe CS (trust me, gimp doesn't cut it and inkscape is a sad joke), MS Office (LibreOffice is an unstable, bloated pile of garbage), ProTools/Logic/any other industry standard DAW (sorry, Linux options are just not on par there either), or if you're a serious PC gamer (some games run on Linux now which is good, but Linux has always suffered from second-rate drivers, particularly for high-end graphics cards). I wish all that stuff did work on Linux but it doesn't, which means its just not an option for many.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.