Windows 10 - Whether You Want It Or Not

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by overlock, Mar 11, 2016.

1. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Overlock....

Huh...funny you say that.
    My buddy (bass player) told me yesterday that twice his laptop had started the Win10 upgrade without his approval.
    He had to ctl/alt/delete and was lucky enough to put the kabash on the install.
    I still have that reminder icon/flag down in the task bar even though I successfully was able to uninstall the specific KB update some months ago and get rid of it.
    But, it seems the update just showed up again shortly after I did that.
    It's real nagware from my perspective.

I'd guess many may have already upgraded to Win10 and are happy with it.
    Me....I'm not interested at this time....I like Win7 and will stick with it for now for my DAW and this laptop.

Carry on....

2. mozzman

mozzman Tele-Meister

There were 3 specific KB updates you need to remove, a google search should tell you. Too lazy currently to look it up.

3. Frankenstivan

Frankenstivan TDPRI Member

My work computer did he same thing yesterday. I don't have a touchscreen, so far its pretty close to the old system. No complaints.

4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Well, whaddaya know, just got hit with another update that wants a reboot. I'm gonna reboot and leave work early.

Capture.JPG

5. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

I hate to be the guy who stands up for Apple here, but I use both Mac and Windows regularly (sometimes Linux too), and Apple is not nearly as aggressive in pushing OS upgrades as Microsoft has been. People still running OSX 10.6 are not getting updates any more, but they haven't been forced to upgrade. I still run OSX 10.8, and even though Apple offers the latest OS when I open the app store, it doesn't just start downloading in the background, and it will never force me to upgrade.

As for the U2 thing, that was a little odd but it wasn't a virus. They just added the album to people's itunes libraries, and it only showed up if itunes was set to automatically download new purchases. I never got it until I logged in and manually downloaded it. Not a great album, but not terrible if you like U2.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  6. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Same. Used to dual boot, but I threw Windows completely overboard after XP.

7. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I use ubuntu and it's the easiest OS I have ever used. I spent maybe 4 hours looking up command line on this stuff in the how ever many years I have been using it. I spent probably 20 or 30 working on viruses in the few years I used it since I could afford a computer of my own. Which wasn't since windows 98 which was constant problems someone else was figuring out. I did use Xp computers at one of my works a lot. That's why I know about it. I don't use windows for anything.

I'm not trying to push anyone into switching so much anymore. I know people are happy with there windows and macs and I'm cool with that. Just having a computer is a real joy. For most people if you have never used linux and try something that is not Linux mint or ubuntu your probably in for a real bad time and will end up not liking linux. Figure a lot of linux operating systems are complicated tools used for specific purposes. Once you get your feet wet and learn about some other distros there are some good ones that fit you better.

I mean if you like windows or macs stick with them. I never said people should switch unless they are so fed up they are going to buy a new computer anyway. Any computer is better than no computer and they all surf the net which is one of the best resources on the planet for learning. Do I personally think linux is better. Well yeah. I think it is so far superior a mac or windows install for me I would say is like using an abacus with a screen with a really cruddy internet browser. I don't because that would be insulting to abacuses.

8. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

MS did the same damn thing to me too. Upgraded to Win10 without my permission the other day. First time it tried, it failed. Hahaha...!!! Later it succeeded and then I lost the better part of a day sorting everything out, so I could be productive again. This is why we despise MS. The only upside is... all the BSOD and IE flashing and crashing have not reappeared yet. So, it appears that Win 8 & 8.1 was the TURD I was saying it was. Just the most horrible OS EVER. Idiotic, actually.

Hopefully they have Win10 working better, because I'm stuck with it now.

9. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

The reason they need to force update everyone to their new root-kit? Only my opinion... The reason is shame.

Shame, shame, shame!

For years of unforgivable and unsolvable problems.

Now they have to force their new problem on whoever still needs the punishment, because even they are sick of their older problems!

Problem
    Problem
    Problem

10. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

My wife stopped the upgrade and couldn't boot her computer... Luckily for me I just had to pop in the Win7 disk and do a repair. Turned off updates then ran GWX to dump the rest of Microshaft's crap sandwich.

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So, everyone loves Microsoft then, huh? :rolleyes: I'm still completely at odds with the fact that the richest man in the world got that way peddling crap when another company can give the same product (written by a bunch of people in their spare time!) away and have happier "customers".

Good for him - he ripped off everyone good an proppa. Ain't getting any more of my money, that's for damn sure. And I haven't even begun discussing the whole "data mining of your private usage" part yet ... which is what truly turned me off them.

Don't say I didn't warn you when you can no longer turn that stuff off. It's coming, you can take that to the bank.

Mr. Lumbergh and 1955 like this.
  12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

But you had to though, because that one was repeatedly owned.

amplifiedhermit likes this.
  14. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

It is common knowledge that update was about to be slammed.

15. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

You know there are people in India who will help you fix these sort of issues? I get calls from them all the time. ;)

overlock likes this.
  16. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I'm happy with my iMac, and Ubuntu Studio on my little laptop to have some fun trying to get Ardour to function.

We still use Windows 7 at work but I haven't used Microsoft at home for a few years now.

17. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

I just meant that you could install security updates without worrying that MS would try and sneak other crap in with them. But yeah, XP did start out pretty bad, security-wise. It always had a lot of good security features but most of them weren't enabled by default. For example, you had to turn on the firewall manually before SP2, and the default user account was always an admin. Ah, the good old days.

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Yeah this worries me. I still run Protools 8 with Win 7 and it works fine. I learned the hard way with Mac OS X updates that newer systems may no longer work with older versions of PT like 8. Pretty sure if I upgrade Windows I will lose the ability to use PT.

mojah63 likes this.
  19. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I record with ardour on KXstudio. I record track by track and don't do any editing on computer so it's pretty simple to me. I run as high of a powered computer as I can though I think I am getting .7ms latency right now. I think it sounds better that using a computer to handle latency issues and to sort out timing problems I just practice.

20. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

Nothing but licensed spyware. I'm very glad it will not install on my Nextbook 10 tablet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.