Windows 10 - Whether You Want It Or Not

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by overlock, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Linux is certainly handy. I run Linux Mint on 2 of my machines.
    It is basically Ubuntu with a KDE front end.
    It is a great way to repurpose an old laptop.
    I have been messing with Linux since 2003.
    Anyone who would recommend Linux over Windows is not doing anyone any favours.
    If you think Win 10 is bad. Just install Linux. You'll be crying through your beer.
    It is not for amateurs. Yes it does a lot of things very well but the fact that one prefers windows 7 over 10 tells me that the same person is not a good candidate to be running Linux. It takes a bit of effort to run some things outside of things designed specifically for it.
    Sure people will brag about how good it is. Those people have an enchanced ability with computers and operating systems. People who would choose to stick with win 7, perhaps, may not.
    There are a lot of things that will not run on it. Direct X based things for instance.
    Yes, there is a way. It is not for the meek.
    Windows 10 is fine but you have to go through all your settings and turn a lot of stuff off. It's kind of snoopy. If you want Cortana to work, some thing s need to be left on.
    There is all kinds of literature on how to tweak Win 10.
    I never did have Windows 7. I went straight from vista to Windows 10.
    I do, build, repair and upgrade many computers per year.
    I have dumped the one program that wouldn't work on win 10 and it is Rockin'.
    I have been running it since Dec 2014.
    Threads like this make me shake my head at all the very bad advice that people give other people regarding computers and operating systems.
    Microsoft has forums where their techs respond to posts. Check them out.
    If you want to remain in the past, do some research and deny the update.
    Yes windows 10 will be an automatic update.
    If you are having trouble with Windows 10, Linux is not the road to take.
    You may not have the ability to get things working right.
    You will mess it up.
    I will say in my humble opinion that Linux is as good as ios Apple machines.
    They are both originally based on Unix anyway.
    If you were good at command line computing like the old DOS, you may stand a good chance at getting Linux working well if you are willing to spend the time.
    Snag someone's old laptop. They are a dime a dozen. Install Linux on that.
    Make the decision on your own experiences there.
    Windows 10 doesn't support a fair bit of hardware on older machines like the cam and mic on my 2 laptops running it. Linux still does.
    Test Linux on a machine you don't care about. It will appear great in the beginning and don't get me wrong, it IS great but there will come a time when you will find that something you Love, will not run on it without major tweaking and expect lots of headaches there.
    There are tons of different distributions of Linux available with some designed fror music creation.
    Don't be fooled into thinking that it is easy to work with.
    It really depends on your needs and your ability.
    If you switch to Linux and then decide to go back to windows, you'll find out that there is no free update path from Linux to Windows 10.
    It's only free if you are running win 7 or 8
    That means you'll have to buy it.
    That means you'll have to buy it
    That means you'll have to buy it.
    One critical thing regarding upgrading is that your version of windows MUST have all it's other updates in place. Enjoy the ride people. It's a brave new world.

amplifiedhermit likes this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Go here:
    http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Get the GWX Control Panel. That will disable the Windows 10 Upgrade icon in your task bar. Also, change your Windows Update settings to not automatically install recommended updates. I did these 2 things and my Win 7 will never update to Win 10.

John Nicholas likes this.
  3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

What I prefer is to have what I've already paid for, and won't be updated, to continue to work. Windows 10 itself is an operating system platform. The programs I bought/rented/leased whatever you want to call it, work fine on Windows 7 but don't work on Windows 10 (or at least don't work well). Upgrading to Windows 10 just because it's newer is wasteful if my current programs don't work.

I use Red Hat (and CentOS) Linux on a daily basis (and Solaris and HP-UX). I have RHEL servers at home (firewall is CentOS but I have several RHEL virtual machines for testing stuff on). My colocated server where I have my pictures and programs is a CentOS system.

I will load up my CentOS hard disk from time to time but it's only useful for admin type stuff and browsing the 'net. I can write code on my Windows box just as easily as I can on my CentOS box since both have command lines (cygwin on the Windows box) and ssh access to my servers.

I will buy Windows 10 for my new system. It's all new hardware so should work. I'll install the programs I normally use that aren't Operating System related and see if they work. If so, it's a compatibility problem with Windows 10, my hardware, and likely the drivers.

Ultimately I'll move my personal stuff on my current system over to the new system depending on which OS permits the continued operation of the programs I use. Then reinstall Windows 7 on the current system. I'll probably reinstall Windows XP on my old firewall which was the system I built back around 2002 so I have access to programs that only work on XP (I have a Sony Handycam with software that only works on Windows XP; once I get the video extracted from the tapes we'll see, maybe some old games).

But seriously, I've paid quite a bit of money for Rocksmith DLC (for example). To run Windows 10 when Rocksmith doesn't work because Windows 10 is "better" is insane.

Carl

ItchyFingers and amplifiedhermit like this.
  4. ColonelPanic

ColonelPanic Tele-Meister

ItchyFingers is right, albeit a bit difficult to read.

Take it from another snotty young kid (or don't, but I'll throw 2p on the pile) that Windows 10 is an improvement over XP, 7, 8, 8.1.

There's no full-screen touch interface - the one with the "daft looking" large tiles that desktop users don't like - (unless you turn on 'touch mode', which even on my Windows tablet, is off by default).

The start menu is functionally identical to Windows 7, if you want it that way (you get a list of most used apps, and an "all apps" button, which replaces that list with a scrollable list of all your applications)

Despite what the media likes to report, you can turn off every single 'phone home' feature that Cortana likes to leave on by default, but you'll lose the ability to search the web with it. (it essentially becomes the Windows 7 search box)

One of the drawbacks, is that Avid are dragging their heels with software support, although I feel it has to be mentioned that people are successfully running PT8 on Windows 10 machines. I have Sibelius 7.5 running flawlessly, so there's no issues with that.

Windows 10 isn't just "no worse" than Windows 7, I think it looks nicer, more understated, other than my external sound card driver (which causes issues on whichever operating system I use) everything worked out of the box, which is more than can be said for Windows 7, which wouldn't boot unless I installed a hard drive controller driver, and didn't support my network card, USB3 host, or processor power management without installing individual software for each.

I should also mention that Apple are well known to "force" updates upon their users (without permission).

Obviously if you have software which really is only compatible with an older operating system, then of course it's unwise to upgrade.

ItchyFingers likes this.
  5. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Haha, good times! I'd forgotten all about File Manager. Now I suppose I'll have to unremember it again.

You seem to be assuming that I don't want Win 10 because I'm technically illiterate, but nothing could be farther from the truth.
    I'm not having trouble configuring Win 10: I just don't want the damn thing. First and foremost because 7 is working perfectly well for me and I don't need to waste my time titting about with a new system, let alone finding replacements for essential legacy software that won't play nice. Secondly, because it has a really irritating UI designed for leisure users, which will be more of a hindrance than a help for me.
    If I thought it was worth upgrading, I would bite the bullet and get it done, but so far I don't see a single compelling reason to change. The value-add is all on Microsoft's side, not mine.

ItchyFingers and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Linux is getting much easier to install and use and pretty soon there won't be any reason to stay with Microsoft. You used to have to be a computer nerd hacker type to run Linux, now even guitar players can do it. Linux Mint is my favorite on my home PC, runs great. When updates are available you are not forced to run them, but I do just to keep the OS current and patched. Plus it's a blast to watch how fast they install, usually takes less than a minute and no reboots. When updates hit my laptop at work running Win7 it's painful how long it takes and almost always needs a reboot or two. Just my two cents but you can trust me, I'm with IT.

7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I'm with you, Freejack. Upgrading to a new OS "just because" makes no sense if everything is working on the old. I will go to a newer OS when I get a new machine. I write software for a living. My job requires Office 2013 or above as well as IBM Rational Developer, Mocha AS/400 client, Cisco VPN client and other apps. All of this and everything I use for personal business works great on my Windows 7 Lenovo W530 laptop. I actually bought it new 2 years ago with a "professional downgrade" to Windows 7 since I had had problems with the family PC that was Windows 8. I got rid of the annoying Windows 10 nag. PC Advisor and many others have instructions on how to do that. Here's a pretty good one.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-forever-3614204/

I know this doesn't help you at this point, overlock, but I really sympathize with your situation. Scary that MS or anyone else would force an "upgrade"

amplifiedhermit likes this.
  8. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Sort of. I don't mind upgrading my system as long as the programs I use continue to work. If Ubisoft and Blizzard and the other software I use don't upgrade their software, or if the upgrade is less useful (PaintShopPro I'm looking at you), then upgrading to Windows 10 is not a good idea. Heck, as I said, it may just be that my hardware is old enough that companies aren't willing to update their drivers for such old gear. It would keep me on the old computer and old OS. In this case, it's time for a new system anyway, especially if vendors won't update their drivers.

Here's my current system and the one that's inbound. I bought not quite bleeding edge 8 years ago and the system itself continues to work on Windows 7 and RHEL/CentOS 7 but it may be that Windows 10 and the related drivers just isn't for this system.

Built in 2008.

Case: Antec 900 ATX Ultimate Gamer PC Case
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Dual Processor E8500 3.16 GHz
    Memory: DDR2 800MHz 2 Gig Sticks (x4 = 8 Gig Ram) *
    Video: AMD ATI 4870 1G (x2) *
    Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 750 Gig SATA (x3)
    Sound Card: Creative Labx X-Fi XtremeGamer
    DVD: Sony DVD +/-R 20x
    Monitor: Acer G235H (23") (x4)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Professional

Since 2008 build:

Upgraded the Ram from 8 to 16.
    - Memory: DDR2 800MHz 4 Gig Sticks (x4 = 16 Gig Ram)
    Replaced the ATI 4870 Video cards with nVidia 560.
    - Video: nVidia GT 560 1 Gig Ram (x2)
    Added 2 2TB drives which I'll move to the new system.

Built in 2016

Case: Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GT
    Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 watt G2 80 Plus Gold
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 2666 (32GB)
    Video: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (x2)
    Hard Disk: Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
    CPU cooler: Corsair H90
    Blu-ray: LG Blu-ray reader
    Monitor: Wasabi Mango UHD430 Real 4K HDMI 2.0 SE 43"
    Monitor: Acer G235H (23") (x2)

I may have all four Acer's on the main system to start, just for S&G :)

We'll see in the coming week or so just how this shakes out.

Carl

9. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

I had this happen too. On my laptop 10 works fine but on my desktop it is stuck in installation and frozen. Ah well. I was planning to replace the desktop anyway.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure about 10, or even 7, but I was told XP was just a layer over the old NT system with the same "kernel". I'm not sure what means either ;-)

All of my Windows 7 machines (I have three) are constantly being asked by Microsoft if we want 10, and I always decline. Not one of them has been forced into install, and I bet I'll be pissed if they do, and suddenly something doesnt work anymore.

THIS is the absolute worst thing about Windows, the eternal updates., and then the problem that sometimes comes next... something now doesnt work like it used to.

A perfect example... the recent really big update in Windows 7, all of a sudden users of Corel Videostudio 7 or earlier, the program would no longer start. To add insult to injury, Corel decided they didnt want to support those versions, as they had just released 9 (WOW TWO WHOLE VERSIONS LATER) and those that had 7, were skee-rewed and had no choice but to buy a software upgrade.

You can blame Corel, and I sort of did, but, crap like this happens to me all the time in Windows. Big update, something doesnt work.

I'd still rather deal with all that than return to my old confused daze as a mac fanboi ;-)

11. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Hasn't happened to me yet. I have Win 7 on my PC and voluntarily put Win 10 on my laptop - it had Win 8 when I bought it, and that was horrible. When you do the install, you have the option of turning off all of the new data-mining bits in Win 10 - I did, and I notice nothing out of the ordinary in performance. Of course MS recommends that you leave those things switched on - of course they do, they put 'em in there, didn't they?

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can make 10 look just like 7. Remove the live tiles (see link below), don't use Cortana or Edge, and it's worked fine for me on a relatively lame laptop BTW. Were several threads here when it first came out, find those and you'll see many ways to customize it. BTW one hint is right click on the start button, brings up a great menu.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/small-windows-10-start-menu/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  13. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I downloaded and installed it on a laptop that is really insignificant and to be honest it is a pleasant surprise so far.

14. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

How are you guys that are downloading the update "manually" (on your own) able to do it without the computer forcing you to?

I wanted to go ahead and update but.....mine won't let me. :(

(Ignore my question, ya'll. I found the answer....or, rather, the "how to" on how to upgrade manually. The reason I've decided to upgrade manually is because I ain't got the $$$ to purchase Windows 10)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I don't like how MS is acting like Apple these days, at least they're not force-loading a virus disguised as a U2 album to all their customers

16. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. I tried to install the download upgrade, freebie, and it told me it
    had issues and couldn't complete the upgrade task. Then it reinstalled the
    Win 7 back to normal. I don't get it. Why didn't it work for me?
    I have one of those all in one touchscreens. It works fine in Win 7.

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Perhaps your Win7 installation is not fully updated?

18. mozzman

mozzman Tele-Meister

If you do a google search, you will see all the junk and crapware win10 installs. Microsoft music, Microsoft sports, Microsoft stock ticker, etc.etc. It will also download and install programs "you may like" based upon the snooping and watching it does of your every move. It's free for a reason, they want all your info and habits logged. If you try to uninstall all the crap and put the settings where it won't update automatically, good luck, as they have buried it really deep, they don't want you to change anything.

There are 2 or 3 KB updates you can delete then you won't get the popup anymore.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

It has been trying to force the update a lot more recently.

To stop is this it:? So click start, type in update, click on windows update?? in win 7

20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have no problems with W10 right now. Should I feel guilty or just left out?

ColonelPanic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.