Windows 10 - Whether You Want It Or Not

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by overlock, Mar 11, 2016.

1. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

I was happy with 7, I liked it. I had everything working. Yes, I saw that annoying Windows 10 offer popping up all the time, but I dismissed it - not interested. My computer doesn't have a touch-screen, and I don't want it to look like an android phone, thanks all the same.

So last night, when I was right in the middle of working up a document, my applications all shut down without saving and the computer started installing 10. Now I'm going to have to waste my time frigging around with the creaky old software that I rely on, trying to get it working in this brave new world - if that's even possible. I am not a happy camper. How is this even legal?

2. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

That's bad - I feel for you. A few months ago I spent an hour on the phone with an absolutely raging friend who had accidentally installed W10 on his music laptop. It took him hours but he found a way to access a partition to return to Win7. I'm sure some of the experts will chip in with how to do that, but Microsoft have always treated the end user like a POS. I gave up on PC's for any serious audio production years ago TBH.

amplifiedhermit likes this.
  3. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I love my Linux, It gives me zero grief.:)

4. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I think MS have somehow got the funny idea that it would be far easier, cheaper, and more intelligent for them to only be continually updating one type of software.

Is there really any advantage for a user to stick with W7 in 2016? It was released in 2009, which is ancient history in computing terms. It hasnt been supported since Jan 2015.

They've been pushing W10 since last summer, and these auto updates have been happening, and reported, for a couple of months. There was a thread warning of it here on TDPRI a while back.

(Disclosure - we have one PC we don't want updating until we have saved some data elsewhere. We simply do not connect it to the next internet until we are ready.)

5. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Switched to 10 a couple of months ago and to be honest it's hardly any different to 7, at least for the basic stuff I do.

bloomz likes this.
  6. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

If using ProTools has taught me one thing it's to delay installing a new OS for as long as possible, so yes there's a strong reason to still use Win7 in 2016 - programs like ProTools don't support Win10 yet, and a lot of audio gear makers have yet to supply Win10 drivers, etc.

7. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

By the way, W10 is fine without a touchscreen, and doesn't look like android. Are you judging W10 from the, deservedly, bad reviews of W8?

If you want an old school start menu, right click the start button and you get the same start menu you had on W7.

8. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I tried installing 10 last year and it killed my wi-fi. Went to a Microsoft store and dealt with a snotty kid who told me about how many successful installations have happened and that me and anyone else complaining about this issue was an idiot. Tried uninstalling it and it bricked my computer. Could not get any kind of help from Microsoft that didn't involve an hour on the phone (website was useless) and had to pay someone to re-install 7. Next laptop will be likely be a Mac.

9. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

I wasn't aware Win 10 now starts the upgrade by itself, it didn't used to. My guess is Microsoft must've pushed it out as a "recommended update", which many Win 7 machines automatically download and install unless you've set them not to.

In any case, maybe there's a way to roll-back the upgrade, you'll have to google it. But if it comes to re-installing fresh copy of win 7 (never a bad idea in general), here's a list of updates to avoid that either add unwanted win 10 features to 7 or put the 10 installer on your machine:

https://fix10.isleaked.com/oldwindows.html

10. amplifiedhermit

Windows 7 will continue to receive updates for several more years. Windows XP support officially ended a couple years ago, but even then you can change a registry key and continue to get updates because Microsoft still maintains an XP variant that runs on cash registers called POS (point of sale) Edition.

In my view, there's no real advantage to upgrading to Windows 10, however there are instances where certain hardware or applications won't work properly. Plus, Windows 10 is part of an annoying trend that started in smartphones where its always sending data to MS about what you're doing. They call it "telemetry" and promise they won't use the information for anything nefarious, but it does raise privacy concerns. It also means you don't have complete control over your own computer like you used to. With Windows 10, MS has the ability to remotely take over your computer and do pretty much whatever they want.

11. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

It just never ends with windows does it.

tecelaster likes this.
  12. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Yep. Back in October or November, Microsoft got some grief over a forced upgrade. A window popped up and said something like, "Windows 10 is ready to be upgraded, what time do you want to do it?" I had to force halt my system to get rid of the window but it came up again and I let it go.

Sadly I was in training last week and Microsoft installed some patch or three and rebooted my system. In the middle of an on-line training course. After that, the sound was lost for the specific application (Blackboard) and I had to dial in on my phone. Since then my sound on websites (like Youtube) and iTunes have come and gone, fluctuating like some kid playing with the volume on the stereo.

I want to blame Microsoft but I suspect it's more the driver manufacturers not being quite ready to support whatever was upgraded last week. I did make sure I had the most current video and sound card drivers after I lost sound for the app but it didn't help.

New system started arriving yesterday. If I have the case and the rest of the bits today, I will build it over the weekend. Windows 10 on the brand new system, reload Windows 7 on the current one (8 years old).

Oh and by the way, Microsoft pushed out a patch recently that enabled the generation of ads on your computer.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...security-update-is-not-a-security-update.html

Carl

13. amplifiedhermit

I dunno, the XP years were pretty hassle-free. Nice stable OS and no worries about being tricked into upgrading by installing security patches.

14. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Xp was nice because it was stable as hell and hassle free. I really can't argue with that. The only problem I ever had with windows xp was it was kind of slow. It's not open source, open source programs which are the ones I mainly use don't run as well on it. I wouldn't judge it as a classic OS. Something like running dos when the screens were green with light green prompt. It was a good OS though. I would run linux over it any day of the week

I'm pretty sure windows is just layer over layer over layer of patches over windows 3. Which was an even better OS than windows XP doesn't mean I want it on my computer though. The funny thing is I am not joking about that.

15. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I may tinker with it for an hour or two just to see how much is broken, but if there's still an option to roll back, I'm most likely taking it. I've seen enough of Win 10 on other people's machines to know it's not what I like. Aesthetically and functionally, I think it's very much like 8 and very unlike 7, and yes - it does remind me of Android. All those big, flat, playschool icons sprawling out over multiple pages and the endless drilling down through menus to get to anything useful. I put up with that on my phone and my Android TV, but those are toys, essentially. For a working machine, I want a more serious UI.

16. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Seriously? Win 3 was awful. It was like a thin skin over the DOS prompt, and if you wanted to run anything other than Word, you had to go back to the good old blue screen, or write a batch script to launch it. Are you sure you're not thinking of NT?

17. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

It was cool when I was 11 or 12. In fact it was awesome. All these new games you could click and play. They still had the icon you could click and get back into dos and it ran all the old dos programs. The Paint program on it, Banner Mania. Lots of fun games. It didn't take a rocket scientist to use the word processor. Stable as heck. Didn't even have to think about a Virus or something like that. The best thing about it was it was a thin skin over Dos Prompt. Windows NT was I think when I stopped liking windows.

Dude you have no Idea how bad it was being 8,9,10 and running dos computers. You would always forget the command lines and stuff. I would just jack into the file manager from dos and run the Exe files half the time. Did that on windows 3 too though. The moment I stopped liking windows was the moment they took away the windows Icon for dos.

Mac my thing was I was using all these fancy computers and home big colored screens and stuff. I would go to school and apparently they went from these apple IIs from 1981 too these macs in 1990 with these tiny black and white screens everybody telling me how high tech they were. The schools were under contract and apple was charging like 3000 a piece from them and they didn't run Oregon trail any better than the apple IIs. I would come home to a 17 inch full colored display computer that did all kinds of stuff. Stuff like a fully featured flight simulator. I just couldnt believe it. The stupid over priced apples still had problems running oregon trail? While they were taking advantage of school children to sell them. It's kind of how I feel using linux then seeing and using apples these days. It's like your telling me you payed what for this computer and 500 dollar each for these programs? I have a 3d graphics cgi program that's on par with the stuff Disney uses didn't cost me a dime I do my home movies on that thing:D

With in two clicks I can be doing a pretty realistic flight simulation of flying pretty much any popular plane in the past 60 years. The graphics on my flight simulator aren't great though for the world map. They do that so it will run on any old computer though. You don't need a high end graphics card which is at least something I guess.

overlock likes this.
  18. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

This happened to me last night too, I posted about it in another Win10 thread! For now, I changed my update settings to allow me to confirm what I want to update. But we'll see how it goes. I'm not against the upgrade, just worried of tech issues that I can't resolve with my lack of knowledge. And last night at 10pm, when I've been having a busy week at work and just wanting to mindlessly surf about the Internet....that CERTAINLY is not the time I want to upgrade the whole brains of my computer!

Basically, I was hoping to wait till this laptop bit the dust and getting a new one with 10 already on it. But maybe if I feel adventurous this weekend I'll give it a whirl.

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most people's relationship with MS is like that of an abused wife.

Sits there with a black eye swearing he won't get any worse. He does love her - honestly, he just has control issues.

He'll be better next time. Then BANG. Out of nowhere.

Wake up folks and download/install Ubuntu. Thank me later when you finally realise how you deserve to be treated.

Mr. Lumbergh and hotpot like this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The forced updates to 10 ... What is in that software package they are so adamant you must have ... for them? for who?

Alternatives: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
    I'd recommend: Lubuntu.net or Debian with LXDE so it runs faster on older machines, but there are many choices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.