Windows 10 vs Windows 11

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
not yet. While overall usage is ok, there are still too many reported 'gotchas' in my feeds. I'm a network admin.

was barely a month ago that an update 'fix' required erasing and starting over with a fresh install.

we have, 4 I guess, in service on our domain. day to day use is equitable but we relegate them to low impact service.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
For the average user, Windows 11 offers little more than UI changes.
If you are happy with Windows 10, there is no compelling reason to upgrade 🤷‍♂️

I have been running Windows 11 on my Dell 2n1 since it was released to the Windows Insider program.
I have not had any issues with it, but I could take or leave a lot of the UI changes over Windows 10.

20210913_164038109_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been running 11 as a virtual machine under macOS (Parallels) here and there for user testing/documentation screencaps at work.

At home, I'm typing on a machine w/the latest processor that you can't upgrade to 11 (i7-4790K), so it's still Windows 10. It was my wfh machine for three years.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I move to 11, but I've never loved 10. 11's center dock thing is not great, though admittedly I haven't used it enough to explore bringing the taskbar back assuming that's even possible. Kind of a pointless design choice? I am ambidextrous on OSes, but I never wanted Windows to present like macOS (or vice versa), at least not like that. I like the Mac's bar, but I like the task bar too.

Is it "worth" it? I don't know how much the upgrade costs (?) but I probably wouldn't pay for it until I had to for reasons of security or performance or something.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So, is Windows 11 worth the switch from Windows 10? Any glitches? Thank you.
FWIW.....I went through so many iterations of Windows, and they all seemed to get progressively worse, so a couple years ago I switched to a Mac. Still had a few issues (due to my total lack of competence in IT) but SO MUCH better and easier than Windows.
And, BTW.....refurbished older Macs (both desktops and laptops) can be had for very reasonable prices. Wish I'd switched a decade earlier.

Johnnygdub

TDPRI Member
Microsoft get every second version of Windows right.
Win 3.11 good. Win 95 bad.
98 good. Win millennium (anyone remember that) = shocking.
Win xp = great. Win vista = utter muck
Win 7 = great. win 8 = dreadful.
Win 10 = really good. Win 11...... ????

Not looking good on past history.

Win 8 introduced tiles which have destroyed web design ever since. They steal loads of screen real estate for absolutely no good reason. You can hardly get a list of anything any more just tiles with tiny bits of info taking up a load of space

Steered clear of win 11 as much as possible but users keep getting suckered into upgrading (again for no good reason)

They seem to have stolen a shedload of the task bar (again for no good reason)

I just don't get it

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
We (an enterprise with not quite 1000 staff) are well into moving to 11. All new PCs 11, and lots of first tier PCs upgraded. Most comments on it not ready or problematic are utter bs or reflecting a less sub-standard system and other software compatibility. There are absolutely no problems standing out from our Windows 10 systems when the users are with vetted and up to date programs.

Our problem areas are specialty applications and when programmers and VARs do craptacular work. We give a lot of support to our staff for personal use. People with decent computers seem to do fine. Many people confuse their less than ideal situation as a Microsoft problem and that's not really the way things work. Reasonable quality and following instructions applies to most of life.

If someone's looking at a new computer, a laptop especially, or if they use an iPhone I'd suggest a M1 or M2. Nothing touches that batter life, speed and phone integration. Our user's most requested laptops are the Surface family for Windows and MacBook Airs.

Two edits.

1) You should not be caught with end of life operating system as your primary system so keep that in mind if you qualify for upgrade but don't feel the need or urge.

2) Put your bs warning systems on for some stuff posted here. Now 33 years of supporting this stuff I know all the platforms have some iterations better than others, and we've always been able to do a decent job with all the major platforms. Windows 11 is very mainstream ready now. The upgrades are showing available for first tier systems including Microsoft's own Surface models that could not upgrade at first.

reddiablos

TDPRI Member
fwiw , win7 pre all the "ms" security measures h/w and s/w, anything latter now needs special chips and file stucture(large hdd) now your tied to "ms". free the code.
downside of 7 is gfx

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
We (an enterprise with not quite 1000 staff) are well into moving to 11. All new PCs 11, and lots of first tier PCs upgraded. Most comments on it not ready or problematic are utter bs or reflecting a less sub-standard system and other software compatibility. There are absolutely no problems standing out from our Windows 10 systems when the users are with vetted and up to date programs.

Our problem areas are specialty applications and when programmers and VARs do craptacular work. We give a lot of support to our staff for personal use. People with decent computers seem to do fine. Many people confuse their less than ideal situation as a Microsoft problem and that's not really the way things work. Reasonable quality and following instructions applies to most of life.

If someone's looking at a new computer, a laptop especially, or if they use an iPhone I'd suggest a M1 or M2. Nothing touches that batter life, speed and phone integration. Our user's most requested laptops are the Surface family for Windows and MacBook Airs.

Two edits.

1) You should not be caught with end of life operating system as your primary system so keep that in mind if you qualify for upgrade but don't feel the need or urge.

2) Put your bs warning systems on for some stuff posted here. Now 33 years of supporting this stuff I know all the platforms have some iterations better than others, and we've always been able to do a decent job with all the major platforms. Windows 11 is very mainstream ready now. The upgrades are showing available for first tier systems including Microsoft's own Surface models that could not upgrade at first.
Good advice. We only deploy 11 (on the few folks' who get Windows), but don't actively manage those machines (yet; InTune's coming on the heels of Kandji).

I always run latest greatest at home if I can, but understand I'm not most users, having supported Windows from endpoint through servers starting back in '02 or so. I'm a little bitter about the forced obsolescence still, but also don't feel a need to upgrade. Win10 with 24GB of RAM and primary drives onboard via M2... tough to top.

Plays Forza fine, runs Ableton very well. If I'm "Joe User" I'd probably stand pat, but I would also never wait until EOL date to start moving.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Showing my cackhandeness here but I assumed that when I update Win 10 on PC and laptop it would inform me when ready for 11.
I get the This PC doesn't currently meet yadayada get the PC Health Check App which I have routinely ignored.

Tangent, I have 16GB RAM in both PC and laptop but the PC is struggling when I simultaneously run Audacity, I'm digitising thousands of audiotapes, and Adobe Creative Cloud. I'm working on large image files, 248MB TIFFs. I had the PC built by an independent store six years ago and have never had reason to take it back so it is probably time for it to go back for a service and I was going to try to have the RAM increased, would this deal with the two programs clashing?

kuch

Tele-Holic
Running W11 for quite a while now, it's almost identical to 10... I think it's worth the upgrade, free, if the security is an improvement over 10

Reactions: Geo

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I decided when my laptop was suitable and my high-end desktop wasn't that I would live out my remaining Boomer time on 10.

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
Nope. I’m good holding out for a while until others beta test it. If there’s a remote chance it screws up or has incompatibilities with my income generating computer, I’ll pass.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t know nuffin’bout no Windows but I know with annual macOS releases, there are always some things I like and some that I don’t with each release. It’s just human nature.
However I always upgrade for security purposes and to be current. I think most Mac users upgrade each year. Seems like, if you trust Microsoft, it’s the smart thing for Windows users to do as well.

Last edited: