1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Windows 10 just around the corner

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by telleutelleme, Jun 30, 2015.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Who is jumping? I did a bunch of research on windows 10, though I didn't join the test group like I mistakenly did for VISTA. If you are running Win7 or 8 the migration looks clean. I researched my DAW (Reaper) and my interfaces and all seem to be working in the test environments.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=152018

Some good info on Windows 10 and some interfaces and software discussed.

I'm going to jump even though Win 7 has been really stable for me. I'd like to see some of the core system performance increases that are discussed. Especially the fast boot and shutdown. I was reluctant to go to Win8 after helping my brother get his XP converted to WIN 8. This appears to be straightforward.

Anyone have any thoughts with your DAW's on Windows?

2. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

I'm in ( and have been for a lifetime ). I'm most excited about the Windows 10 phones that will have adapters to plug into regular LCD/LED monitors and keyboards/mice and can run full blown windows apps like Photoshop, Cubase, ProTools and other CPU intensive applications just like a desktop computer.

Microsoft answers the question "why Windows Phone?"

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I've reserved and am taking the plunge too. Got a new laptop for Xmas and was worried about Windows 8 but like all previous upgrades, the bad hype was just that, imho. I had no problem with it.

From what I've seen, Win 10 is actually going to make a great effort to combine 7 and 8 because of all the hate out there. Either way, I use Mixcraft and they were given 10 a bit back and are ready for it. I've also heard that all drivers and such will transfer seamlessly.

As Zillinois said, I'll be interested to see what MS does with their phones...... My contract is up end of July so I will see if it may be worth the swap from Android.

M

4. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a big Micro$oft fan (Linux is on my everyday PC) but have a dedicated music production PC that runs Cakewalk Sonar on Windoze 7.

I'm going to upgrade to Windoze 10 based on the research I've done and because Micro$oft appears to be adopting the Linux model for updating their operating system. :)

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I opted in for the update on my wife's 8.1 laptop.

I guess we'll see how it rolls...

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

I would suggest imaging your existing system before going for 10.

I took it off and reverted back to 7.

The UI is better than 8 but worse than 7.

Plust the version that I had was buggy.

Frankly I just didn't like it and it certainly didn't perform as well as 7.

I am also concerned about why it is free. Yeah, I have read what Microsoft says but can you trust Microsoft? I don't.

Just my opinion. There is a lot to be said for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

EDIT: On second thought, if you have 8 I would say go for it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  7. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

This can only work to the good ... I'm not a Windows guy, but when they rewrote Mac OS X with that architecture, the maddening crashes became a thing of the past. It can take a punch!

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I got stuck with Windows 8. Opted for the free upgrade. Good choice, bad choice?

My system has been stable with 8 but I HATE the 'App mode' and navigation in 'windows mode' is much more tedious than it needs to be, IMO.

9. telleutelleme

I have a windows phone because it supported some office tasks and outlook. I'm not into many apps but look forward to when I can hook up a projector and do a PowerPoint instead of dragging a laptop or tablet around. A small docking station with extra ports would be cool.

I'll have Win 7 fully backed up before I jump to Win 10. All my DAW projects are on other drives so no issues there.

10. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I am on my 3rd build of the technical preview for Windows 10. Currently I am on Build 10130. I really like this build, which is supposed to be very close the version that will be released to the general public.

I had some difficulties with Build 10074: there was some conflict with the facial recognition software that came bundled with my laptop (which was originally a Win 8.1 purchased last November.)

The Start screen is a nice layout, but some of the "Live Tiles" do not update automatically as intended.

Most of the OS incorporates the "Ribbon" that was introduced to Office a generation or two back. This is a welcome feature.
    I have also played around a bit with MS Edge, the replacement browser for IE11. That is less impressive; I seldom use it as most of the webpages I visit act a little funky when I use it.

Cortana, MS's answer to Siri is more pointless than Siri. I have as yet to get it to do anything worthwhile.

Now do not get me wrong: the features that do work are really nice and the platform seems reliable.

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I'm getting away from 8 as soon as possible. And Windows 10 is free because Microsoft lost market share and PC sales plummeted thanks to the Window 8 fiasco. This is an attempt to save the future.

Two things I will never get out of my head: why did Seattle call a pass on 2nd and goal and how did Windows 8 ever get released.

12. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

It's an interesting prospect.

A couple of questions, first. :D Anyone?

1. Would my not-so-fast, new, Dell PC with 8.1 likely be slower running, same speed, or faster running/processing with 10? BTW, the PC was slow out of the box since it was a low-end model.

2. Since 10 probably requires a couple GB of memory :rolleyes:, should I seriously consider deleting 8.1 after a couple of weeks, and satisfaction with ver. 10 to free up HD memory?

13. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Hiker, My observation is no degradation in speed with Win10 compared to Win8.1. As a matter of fact, startup is quicker.

VWAmTele, Win8 was offered for "free" as well for a period of time during its initial release.

14. telleutelleme

I think it will be faster, because in my readings they say the "core" software has been updated and optimized for performance.

I am going to backup my system externally and then get rid of it after I've tested my critical applications. I think your idea is fine.

15. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I mainly use Ubuntu but I have a PC with win 7 on that has my recording stuff on it. a couple of questions to the tech savvy guys.

If I upgrade to win 10 (I reserved it) will it change just the window files on the PC or will all my recording software get deleted!
    edit: if its going to wipe my drive to install win 10 i'll pass on it.

the other question is.. I've been told if you accept win 10 your win 7 key will be no longer any use & you cant go back to win 7. thanks in advance.

16. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I have an Asus i5 laptop I pulled off the curb last month. After I replace the HD, will try Hackintoshing it--supposed to be easy on that model. If that doesn't work out, might try windoze 10 since it's free.

17. Earth

Earth Tele-Meister

I'll wait till 11 or 12 to move from 7.

18. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Well I too use Sonar and am concerned as it took forever to get it setup to where it runs really well.

But I have it on both a laptop and my main machine. I think I will upgrade the laptop, which has 8.1 on it and which crashes each time it MS upgrades.

My main machine has a raid 5 array that is run by Intel software and I am hesitant to mess with that. I built that box 5 or 6 years ago and it is finally getting a little long in the tooth, might be time for a new machine. or at least a new motherboard/processor.

19. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

What I'm trying to get my head around is "mandatory updates." Apparently, except for the Enterprise license, you will have no way to prevent Windows from downloading and installing updates.

My DAW PC doesn't connect to the internet, EVER. So what happens there? Will Windows 10 realize it hasn't been updated in a while, and lock me out???

I haven't been able to find the answer to this online.

20. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

If it's not connected it has no way of knowing updates even exist.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.