Windows 10 Forced Update - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Feb 3, 2016.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

By the numbers, it's rare when the end user owns the software. Even with customization I've noticed agreement say you're buying a license to use what your vendor creates for you.

This long established way will be more obvious to people as more and more products move to a style I'll call "cloud licensing".

I can't help those not appreciating or understanding the change but I so love many new products and upgrades that I've embraced it. The way a modern OS uses signed drivers and has encryption built in are important parts. It's not so obvious with a basic or desktop PC but we're also at a spot where great new hardware requires an up to date OS.

It's just fine if you have a desktop PC and system working fine - not in a work mode or lifestyle where the latest stuff is a lot of help. There is a problem with not keeping up if you're not at a scenario like a fully-patched Windows 7 system. It's fairly often when I see the sometimes nightmare called BYOD (bring your own device) has me dealing with an employee or vendor who is not not even aware their system is compromised.

Your home router is another place where keeping up is important. A percent that's way to big for health are compromised.

This pushing updates that some hate do a lot to improve the security issue I've brought up here.

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Also I think the "pro" or "business" license is going to allow control over patches.

However, it ain't goin' to be priced as reasonably as the "home" license.

The home license users pay by testing the patches.

Maybe not a bad trade-off ... one could look at it a early access to the patches. :D

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The Pro and Home versions of Win 10 auto installs the updates. You need the Enterprise version in order to control the update process.

4. rcole_sooner

Ah, I knew there was an option.

I bet that costs a pretty penny.

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It defiantly isn't cheap.

6. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I'm so glad I saw this post. Made sure that updates were turned off my PC...I'll stick with Win 7....

My recording interface (Lexicon) doesn't have Windows 10 drivers, so it is imperative I stay in Win 7....lol

7. rcole_sooner

My old EMU audio interface has not been supported since Windows 7 and it has continued to work through 8, 8.1, and now 10.

I've been eye balling replacements. I assume someday it won't work anymore. Heck it is even hard to find a motherboard with an ISA slot. It is really time to get another interface.

8. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I just almost got suckered into the upgrade. I have had automatic updates turned on, and did not know this was happening. Stepped away for a few minutes, came back and saw some updates were happening. But after some time, I noticed it looked different than usual. The screen suddenly popped up a message saying it was upgrading the OS, and the computer would reboot several times. I decided to shut down with the power button and see how it booted up. Came back on as 7, and showed a failed upgrade to 10.

Now I changed my updates to "let me decide what I want to upgrade", so we'll see how that goes. I'm not against the change, but my laptop had some work done on it last year or so. The repair guy said I had "8 bad sectors" that he fixed, but that it could go at any time. So I didn't want to bother with upgrading to 10, worrying that it might kill the laptop all together. Instead, I want to just wait till it goes on it's own, and then get myself a shiny new laptop with Windows 10 already on there.

9. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Returning my current machine to 7 when my new gear arrives. I'll likely go with 10 on the new machine though.

Carl

10. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

We're moving to Win 10 at work in a couple of weeks, but in my home studio I have the same basic issue as you with Pro Tools 10 only being qualified up to Win 7 SP1.

Anyone had success running PT 10 on Win 10?

11. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Yikes, he means your hard drive's potentially failing, hope you're backing up often. If you can get to the laptop's insides you can easily order a new hard drive and swap it out, I've done it many times before.

Gibson likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

So where do you turn off auto update?
    Control Panel...window update ?

What if you are not admin?

13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

This is so 2015
    Did the upgrade last year, beat the last minute crowd, even forgot what version of windows I am using because it works so well. It just works, did it on 3 machines no issues.

I don't know, but Quake works in Win 10

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.