Windows 10 Forced Update - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Feb 3, 2016.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard that 10 works faster, is more streamlined than some previous versions. I am skeptical. A lot of companies still run on Windows, I would guess the majority.

I incredulously sit back and am fascinated and baffled by IT guys talk about how they love this or that, etc. about versions of Windows.

I don't know what they know, so my experience is based on me just trying to get a workable machine.

I saw Windows 10 briefly, the navigation is different and would take some getting used to. You just want to slap them.

With past versions of Windows, I had to go through with a microscope to disable services, etc., and run various programs just to get it to do what it's supposed to do.

A lot of time is spent just trying to optimize the machine, or fixing problems with conflicting software, etc. which may or may not be a problem with Windows. Just a lot of constant conflicts. Days of trouble.

The web is full seemingly endless problems and oftentimes no solutions on tech support pages. The Microsoft tech support pages are somber, not as hilariously patronizing as Apple.

The Microsoft "Fixit" guy with about 10 tricks - that was a funny one, he could never fix anything.

Every version of Windows I have had sucked. I had to get a degree in Google just to make the stupid things work. Hair-pulling stuff.

I don't play games, I don't want a lot of processes constantly logging and transmitting data back and forth, I don't need a gazillion Windows cpu hogs, just a stripped down machine.

I have MacBook too, that isn't exactly perfect either.

My iPhone pretty much does what it's supposed to do.

Data mining is completely accepted by a lot of people as a fair trade for convenience.

I'll learn it and get used to it if I have to, can't wait for Windows to completely die.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I updated my 80 yr old mothers machine for her. I only had to show her how to access her favorites in Edge. She's been going crazy with it now since last September. The older folks aren't dumb. They built our world.

3. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I never accused older folk of being dumb. I was just wondering. I have known a lot of elderly people who are far better with computers than me. I was just wondering if this is going to freak out some innocent old ladies.

4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking that I may do the upgrade when it rolls around (anybody know when that's supposed to happen? I didn't catch a timeline in the article I posted) but....the only thing I'm worried about are ALL of my bookmarks. I'm running Chrome as a browser. Chrome should keep tabs (no pun intended) on the bookmarks I have or had, right?

I noticed that my computer won't just let me automatically upgrade to Windows 10 so.....does that mean that it will update itself if I have it set to do so?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

If you truly think you can exist forever without win 10 then opt out of the upgrade.
    I think it is far better to prepare for the upgrade in advance by copying all your data to another drive first instead of suddenly having it upgraded unscheduled.
    Linux still does not do everything windows does like play games that require direct x.
    I run Linux Mint on two of my laptops. Linux has come a long way since I first messed with it in the late nineties. Win 10 does not like the cam on my old laptops.
    Win 10 only supports older hardware to a point.
    I've been running win 10 for over a year. I used the preview until the release on 4 different machines.
    Even with the built in cam problem, I would still like win 10 on at least one more machine.
    One can buy an external cam and mic that works with it.
    With Windows 10 I usually have to reboot when switching sound devices since the last couple of updates. I use a sound card at times, the canned motherboard sound at other times and some wireless headphones at others. I am not sure if I can blame the sound issues on windows 10 or the manufacturer's drivers for the sound devices.
    All in all, all problems can be solved with a bit of searching.
    Win 10 works for me. I wonder if the naysayers who were against the first few versions of windows are still running DOS. I jumped for joy when I could finally multitask.
    Then again, I loved OS2. I used to run windows in a window under OS2.
    I have run windows under Linux using "virtual box". It's not perfect.
    One still needs a copy of windows to do that of course.
    It's not free unless you update. Darn.
    Being an older gentleman, I can say that most youngsters "think" they know more than us. I have built 10 machines from scratch starting in the late nineties.
    If you're not comfortable doing updates, buy a new machine running win 10.
    Unfortunately it is often bundled with all kinds of junk that needn't and doesn't come with windows 10.
    If you are comfortable installing operating systems then a clean copy of Windows 10 is the far better way to go. That way you get rid of a lot of junk, a clean registry and a chance to start over in a more organised fashion.
    Thye biggest mistake people make when upgrading is that they get impatient and panic when it "appears" to stop working. Then they blame windows 10 for bricking their machine. Windows 10 also seems to take a week or so to get everything figured out and working well. I'd recommend giving it a chance.
    I don't use the tile type of desktop at all ever.
    Backup all your data. If you use more than one drive, disconnect the other drives when installing or upgrading and just have the drive connected that your operatiing system will go on. If not it can detect operating systems that no longer even reside on those drives. Enter the fray at your own risk.
    There is nothing terribly wrong with windows 10. There is a huge problem with users and how they set up their machines and organise their file structures.
    Most machines I repair are full of viruses and malware and whatever else you want to call it. I have repaired machines with thousands of infections.
    This can be attributed to users doing things that are insecure and dangerous and opening e-mails from unknown sources. Another vote for a clean install.
    One thing I would recommend is that you buy the best biggest SSD drive you can afford and install a clean copy on that since tranferring windows to another drive is iffy.
    SSD drives are extremely fast. In gaming, I can be half way to the objective before people with legacy drives even spawn in.
    Prepare, do it right, enjoy.
    Amarok is a great music file player (free)
    I use other than "edge" browser.
    Don't blame anyone else for whatever your decisions will be.
    The internet lies. Do your own research. Start with the microsoft forums where real microsoft techs get into discussions as well.
    Very few will be running Windows 7 in a few years. It does not support direct x 12.
    If the install seems to hang at the setting things up screen, walk away for a few hours and let it work on it. Patience is a virtue.
    Most compter techs in the back of stores aren't worth diddly.

6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Tony,

Follow the link that was in the original article you posted..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

It's quite easy to disable the automatic update, and according to MS even if it downloads you'll have the option of installing it or not.

I'm pretty sure that all of your Chrome bookmarks will be preserved. Before you update, just export all your bookmarks to be 100% sure...

1. Open Chrome.
    2. In the top right, click the Menu Chrome menu.
    3. Select Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager.
    4. In the manager, click the "Organize" menu.
    5. Select Export bookmarks.
    6. Chrome will export your bookmarks as an HTML file, which you can then import into another browser.

I've been running Win 10 on one of my laptops for quite a few months now. I've had no problems with it. In fact, I like it. I would advise you to take a full backup before you install any new operating system though.

7. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I don't run chrome anymore but if it is anything like most browsers it has a folder of your bookmarks that can be copied back later.
    I predict many complaints will surface from users that don't prepare first and then upgrade. It won't keep your data if it is in non standard places too.
    Back it up by copying each file you want to keep on another drive.
    This is not a good time to buy bargainware software that was not designed for Windows 10 and may not be compatible. Do your research.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Reading through a lot of TDPRI posts on computers (and phones) has me get that someone would be driving an old hoopty and even crappy when new car or pickup truck if that's all they could afford. I don't get or think many or any would refuse a car or pickup truck that's much more powerful, safer and feature rich if they could have it. That's kind what this old to new difference is.

Whether or not you like the software publishers and hardware companies, what major platforms have offered in the past year are big or significant steps. Especially when it comes to security, reliability and being a platform for wonderful software.

I'm also not seeing the companies bashed as so evil. I don't judge Microsoft or Apple today same as a generation or period in the past just like I would not compare a generation or generations old Chevy Impala to new.

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

But they are not giving out new computers so your analogy is flawed.

Are they going to send me a new PC with Sonar and M-audio multichannel sound cards with outboard preamps that all work great like I already have?

There is no way of telling if the older software and hardware I have will function or be supported with drivers for W10. I have some older recording software I spent money on that works fine now and I don't want to have to buy new stuff. Support from Microsoft is pretty lousy already.

Windows 10 is a solution to a nonexistent problem that creates its own new problems.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I get there are drivers and solutions that create reasons to keep older solutions running. I get it painfully well because I have to keep so much running via my work. So painfully well that I still carry a serial cable in my bag.

It's attitudes that I don't get or the spread of misinformation.

I'm not sure what you mean about lousy support from Microsoft. It very good unless this means someone expecting free lunch etc...

Many may not like the products but it's hard for me to see Windows 10 as you describe it when I see the good new products Microsoft has. My fingers touch a smart phone and a MacBook more than that stuff but I respect good stuff when I see it.

More to be fair. Most here probably do not use or think much about enterprise or professional products. Still, the Surface products and Office 365 they could see are very good.

:)

11. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

I've upgraded 3 computers now from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I much prefer 10. The upgrade was seamless, much better than any OS upgrade I've done in the past with Microsoft.

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

^That^ has been my experience.

13. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I upgraded two personal Win8 laptops to 10, and feel it was a huge improvement in terms of interface and usability. I also upgraded a work desktop from 7 to 10, and found that I almost didn't notice it was any different.

In neither case did I have any problems.

EDIT: Actually, I did have some issues with security camera software on the work desktop that went from 7 to 10. Had to do with a video codec incompatibility. The camera software company remote-d in and fixed it for me. But that's a pretty obscure thing.

14. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I upgraded my surfing laptop as soon as 10 came out. Ran fine, a bit faster, easy to navigate.

A few months ago I looked at upgrading my main machine, a home built, q9550 based, overclocked, liquid cooled monster that was about 6 years old.

Did a total backup by cloning all the disks. Upgrade seemed to go fine, but my RAID management software would not load. Looked online and it was an end of life motherboard with no upgrade path. Rolled back to Win 7 and everything worked fine.

Last week I bit the bullet and put in an MSI motherboard, an i7-5820 cpu, 32 gig of DDR4 memory and added a SS drive. Once again before starting I cloned the drives ( C went to the SSD, the RAID went to a single drive ).

Win 10 went in perfectly and recognized all my Win 7 settings and software EXCEPT Sony Vegas ( video editing ). That one I had to reload from scratch.

I am very impressed with Win 10's ability to recognize and use all my existing software ( Cakewalk Sonar, Photoshop, Sketchup, etc ).

As far as speed, well the new machine is a trifle bit quicker then the old one, lol.

I started on an S100 bus system where you had to gen the OS ( Concurrent CPM ) for the hardware you had installed. I have to admit, I like this one a whole lot better.

-H

ps: I'm almost 60 so not a spring chicken and my Mom is 80 and is a total geek! She has the time to play!!

Attached Files:

15. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I have Windows 10 on 2 of my machines: the first one I did was a horridly cheap Acer netbook that came with the crippled Windows Starter Edition. I'd dual booted it with a low impact Linux distro, designed for old, obsolete machines.

When Win10 was first released, I thought I'd use the netbook as a guinea pig to see if it was tolerable. In spite of the weak specs on the Acer, Win10 was less unpleasant than Win7 Starter.

Next up was this travel laptop, an older Compaq nc4400. The Win10 Pro install went smoothly, everything worked, even my ancient Photoshop Elements 2.0 from 2003 and Giants: Citizen Kabuto game from 2000.

[edit] just remembered an even older programme on this Win10 Pro machine: Microsoft Office Professional '97, runs fine.

I did read up on the snoopy drawbacks of Win10 and turned off the most objectionable. I'm quite satisfied with it, runs well on this relatively low powered machine and all my old programmes work. With the SSD I installed, it boots in 38 seconds.

I am not a particularly savvy computer user, just try do as much research as I can when making changes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

We recently replaced an office server and I had to upgrade computers. I need a Pro version of the OS for up an down compatibility of files and for remote access. I upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Pro and am using Office 16.

It has taken a lot of time to get through the set up and get them the way that I want them. MS has added some nice features like a calculator, voice recorder, voice commands, and others. But there is a lot of bloat too, like teasers for games. It is there to make money by selling upgrades, and not really appropriate for a "pro" version. So far, I find 10 harder to use and navigate, and not really as simple and intuitive as prior versions. But my experience has been with XP Pro and 7 Pro, and I held out long enough to avoid Vista and others and all the learning curve time a new OS entails. (I am admittedly impatient and don't care about the bells and whistles).

The productivity software has peculiar features too. One in particular is the "backstage" in MS Word which affects the user in save and open mode. I have done what I have read and still have not been able to get the open function to work as I want, which is without the backstage. I am still reading on it and trying to work it out.

I am also having trouble exporting the old email content, addresses, archives, etc. from Outlook to the new version.

17. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can still get XP authenticated if you are really resistant to this change. I've got a machine at work that needs to run XP. It crashed last month, and after repairs I reinstalled both XP (SP1, no less) and Office 2003. That machine never sees the web, so it's OS limitation is no problem.

18. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Two machines upgraded, zero problems. W10 is fine. If I can't have my favorite OS (XP) 10 will do.

19. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

You don't own the OS: you bought a license to use it, and (I'm assuming) a physical disc or USB drive with which to install it. If you "own" that OS, then by all means make copies and try to sell them on eBay and see how that goes :lol:. And for what it's worth, I think you might be surprised at what those licensing agreements actually say if you take the time to read them. If you're under the impression that they're in your favor, you've got another thing comin'! ;)

Not that I'm defending MS, mind you. I'm perfectly happy running Win 7 for audio stuff and Linux Mint for everything else (and if DAW stuff was as simple and robust in Linux as it is for Windows, I'd never use any other OS!)

20. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you own Linux Mint?

Honest question. I'm not sure what I clicked "I agree" to TBH.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.