Wind Turbine blades

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Ever pass one of these on the highway? You see them out on the horizon and they are cool... but..... you just forget how big these things really are! lm-wind-power-63.7p-netherlands-1200x350_0.jpg
RTEmagicC_19-08-10-goldhofer01.jpg.jpg

Beebe

Tele-Holic
Huge! It would be cool to see one up close like that.

I recently watched a video on them. Apparently the blades last about 25 yrs, and there is a risk of them piling up in landfills if we can't figure out good ways to recycle them.

I think this was the one I watched (some ideas are fuel, pedestrian bridges, cell towers, fences):

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
We waited for 10 minutes once while a transporter with a wind-turbine blade manoeuvred off the A9 road up north beyond Inverness, turning into a little country road on its way to a windfarm out on the Scottish moors somewhere. Considerable planning and driving skills needed...

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
We waited for 10 minutes once while a transporter with a wind-turbine blade manoeuvred off the A9 road up north beyond Inverness, turning into a little country road on its way to a windfarm out on the Scottish moors somewhere. Considerable planning and driving skills needed...
Saw the same thing on the edge of a town near here. It was quite the sight because they truly are LONG!

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
We recently made a night trip from Des Moines to NE Iowa. There were red lights of wind turbines visible the entire trip

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I was cresting a hill, driving, and there was a wind turbine on the other side, near the top.
When the first blade rose up, it must have been 100yds away.
It made my heart jump into my throat.
The size was so alarming.
A buddy of mine is a film grip and he had to do a shoot on top of one of those things.
Climbed up the ladder inside.
He was on top when they hit the brakes and the torque causes the whole thing to deflect...I don't remember how much...maybe 15'.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Did a cross country road trip in April/May and maybe half of it was on I-40 and the other half, in general geographic region around West Texas, and these fans are multiplying, over and over.

I hope they come up with a good plan to re-use them because this is no small issue, what to do with the worn out ones.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Did a cross country road trip in April/May and maybe half of it was on I-40 and the other half, in general geographic region around West Texas, and these fans are multiplying, over and over.

I hope they come up with a good plan to re-use them because this is no small issue, what to do with the worn out ones.
You can't dispute they add beauty and majesty to an otherwise dull land scape!

1653428809060.png

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Not trying to target anyone here, because I know you’re all just reacting to what you’ve seen/heard/read, but it’s funny how people are worried about retiring turbine blades, but not retiring oil tankers, oil platforms, tens of thousands of miles of oil pipelines, refineries, and all of the other things that feed our oil needs and wear out, but are never discussed.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
Not trying to target anyone here, because I know you’re all just reacting to what you’ve seen/heard/read, but it’s funny how people are worried about retiring turbine blades, but not retiring oil tankers, oil platforms, tens of thousands of miles of oil pipelines, refineries, and all of the other things that feed our oil needs and wear out, but are never discussed.
Most of that is already figured out because it is a mature industry. Scrapping of ships is a normal business thing. Scrap metal in general as well.

The fan blades are new, exotic materials. Someone will figure out ways to reuse them. Until they do, the more people that know they are available, the better the chance someone will find a way to reuse them. Probably guitar bodies. :)