Win10 questions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brokenpick, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

OK... so after long resisting the pop-ups to get Windows 10, it finally seemed to just take over my computer and install itself one night.
    I survived, but, it decided to remove at least one of my previous system tools that included virus protection.

Today the home phone rings, and, uncharacteristically, I answer it. A bad phone connection fidelity, and a gentleman with a southeast asian inflection tells me that he is calling from microsoft windows, and that they have been receiving messages from my computer suggesting that it is infected with viruses. He's going to give me instructions to fix this.

Is this for real?? Or a malicious scam?

I mean, I know Win10 is BigBrotherish, and probably can and does upload my personal computer data to any number of clouds...
    but... are they really looking out for me to this extent? Or did the guy want me to open some portal and help him load spyware ONTO my machine?
    I mean, if they were really aware of my viruses, why wouldn't they just go ahead and FIX them with the same stealthiness they used to SPOT them?

This crap is making me nuts. My machine. My software. Every bit of everything came with a price that I paid. So... hands the heck OFF.
    But no.

So. IF I need new/more virus protection (why in the world would MS not have made this the #1 priority part of their New Release, which no one really wanted anyway) What's the best way to go? Seems like NOTHING I've tried in the past has been real effective.... and now..... Win10 doesn't seem to play well with much of it!

Any advice about how I can keep my machine clean?

I welcome the help and advice, in layman's terms, from those more savvy than me. I'm just an end user... no bits & bytes for me, so, no way I'm up to fooling with registers, or writing code, or anything. Just want the basics of my email, cerfing, text, music and image storage & retrieval -to work. No on-line gaming, no interactive apps (if I can help it) no real streaming entertainment... (nothing 21st century!?!)

2. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

Yeah that call sounds very scam-ish, don't do what he says. I use Avast as a virus protector, pretty sure its free.

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That's not Microsoft calling!
    pure scam. just put down the the phone.
    if it makes you feel better, call 'em some name and then slam the phone.

Win10 is quite a bit bullyish, but if you don't want it -- just don't get it, or recover your old sys.
    YOU are in command of Your machine.

4. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Scam for sure. I've had numerous calls from these clowns over the years.

5. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

For anyone still struggling with pesky Win 10 upgrade notifications that they don't want, here's a neat little utility to get rid of them...

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is a well know scam. They are looking to install crapware on your machine, or worse yet, get a credit card number to "pay for their services".

Microsoft does not monitor for viruses and send info back to themselves. They will not call you.

If you were a techie, you could check your network logs and you would see no traffic of that sort was sent to Microsoft.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That is a scam call. Their timing is perfect, as if your computer has a virus tattling on the upgrade to win 10.

You could try one of these:
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
    Download and burn to CD/DVD/USB (they all have sections helping with the setup).

You can run 'live' from the CD/DVD/USB, make and documents save to a USB flash drive or external HDD, reboot back to the main system if you need to.
    You can install Virtualbox.com (free) and install the OS inside a virtual machine.
    You can dig out an older computer you still have around, reformat the hard drive and install the OS clean.

Typical user programs: Firefox, Libreoffice, Gimp, Audacity, and Inkscape (these all have Windows equivalents, and read many of the regular program files you may be used to using)

I've run Linux since 2006 as my primary OS on all my desktops and laptops. I recently upgraded hardware to run a CAD program that requires Windows 10, so I installed Virtualbox and Linux inside the virtualbox (what I'm using to type this post).
    I spent eight hours on the new laptop sorting out Windows 10 "fail to authenticate" issues, store pointed at manufacturer, manufacturer pointed at microsoft, microsoft pointed at both the manufacturer and store "it's them not us".
    Root cause was the store had reformatted the drive with the wrong version of windows 10 prior to selling it to me (store floor model) and the COA's didn't match microsoft's server database - all a contrived problem that I had to spend my time sorting out with all of them. I told the microsoft service tech while they were remote into the machine that "you really are going to force me to drive an hour out to that store and an hour back plus whatever time it takes them to reinstall rather than fix it right now?" They didn't want to fix my new user experience. Because windows has so many updates to download since the stores were shipped their install images, that the store had me come back the next day to pick up the laptop (so another hour out and hour back).

Linux has none of the COA to worry about nor interfere with your use of the system.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Now that you do have it installed consider proper use of your Microsoft ID much like an Apple or Google ID if you have iPhone or Android, and consider their own store as a safe place to get any software.

The security built in is good and most security these days has to come from the lesson learned here - be aware of social engineering and being spoofed.

Good luck.

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Do you remember what antivirus program it was? You can probably download and re-install it on Windows 10.

Definitely a scam!

Windows 10 does have some default settings that are annoying for the privacy-minded (to put it mildly.) Some of these track web browsing, and other usage statistics. (I think there used to be some ridiculous default setting that would share your home network wifi details with Facebook friends, or something like that. Microsoft has since disabled that I think but I'm not sure.) You can easily disable most if not all of these settings from the control panel:
    www.howtogeek.com/221864/digging-into-and-understanding-windows-10s-privacy-settings/

I would guess the scam phone call you received is totally unrelated to your Windows upgrade. I don't know how they decide who to call, but it's probably just some random autodial from a purchased list of telephone numbers just like telemarketers use.

In fact, unlike Windows 7, Windows 10 does come with some very basic AV software called Windows Defender. Whether or not it is enough protection is still a matter of debate:
    www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2480487,00.asp

Those articles mention a few of the popular AV programs in addition to Windows Defender in case you want to try one out. Bitdefender currently gets some good reviews.

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Is the Windows Store safer than it used to be a few years ago? I've used it to download a few well-known apps, but this article suggests when it first premiered it was filled with scammy unauthorized software:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/194993/the-windows-store-is-a-cesspool-of-scams-why-doesnt-microsoft-care

Maybe they have better oversight now though. (I still prefer to apt-get install _______ whenever possible though ;) )

11. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

Definitely a scam. The timing was just an odd coincidence.

Anti-virus programs try to catch malware once it enters your machine but your best defense is to not let it get on your computer in the first place.

First, you need to keep Windows and whatever browser you use (preferably Chrome or Firefox) current with all security patches and updates.

Second, if you have Java installed and don't need it, uninstall it. Same goes for the Flash plugin and Adobe's PDF reader. All of those have security flaws that malware can exploit.

Third, install the browser extension called uBlock Origin, which blocks a wide range of potentially bad stuff from ever even loading in your browser. And if its causing a site to misbehave, you can disable it for just that site.

There are a lot of other things you can do too, but that's a good start. Also, never click on links in emails that you weren't expecting.

12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This was a scam. I get these calls frequently. Depending on the time of day or night I get it, I will either let them know my opinion of their ancestry, or string them along for grins and giggles. As for network prophylaxis, I use ESET's Nod32. I have a two year subscription for all my systems. Mine transfers over intact when the systems update or upgrade. I did have to reinstall on the desktop platforms, but that was because I did clean installs on them.

SolidSteak likes this.
  13. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Thanks so much, to all who responded.
    I'll try to follow some of your advice!
    I kinda figured it was a scammy phone call.... but, since the Win10 install just occurred a couple weeks ago, it was weird timing. They probably have called before, and just didn't talk to our answering machine. This time I just happened to pick up the phone on a whim. I DID tell the gentleman that his call sounded suspicious, and when he asserted that it wasn't, I suggested that I was opposed to the very idea that he would even be able to access my machine to the extent of being aware of it's health.... and things got pretty quiet on the other end.... and then I hung up.
    But... having had some virus action before, I confess to being paranoid... and, being generally ignorant, I began to wonder.

Social Media ain't me...
    I don't click on much...
    Try to regularly delete cookies and junk files, etc.
    I'm probably not at "high" risk.... but Malware attackers are highly motivated and busy.

Thanks again all!

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The article you linked does mention the cleanup that's happened. The problem with getting software just anywhere is most people don't know if it's compromised software.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.