Willie Nelson--Still worth seeing in concert?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hoodster, Mar 13, 2010.

1. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Saw him a couple times back in the 80's. Not even worth the gas money to get there. Very boring!

2. don jon

don jon Tele-Meister

I suppose the venue could have a lot to do with the sound and the atmosphere. I have only seen Willie once and it was several years ago. He used to come every so often to a little steak and seafood joint in Ruston, LA called Rabb's. I think he's friends with the owner or something because the place only seats a couple of hundred folks I guess. He performed on what basically is the back porch of this place and we all sat in wooden bleacher type seating. I thought he was great. I can remember that he messed up the words once or twice, but I do that and I'm sober and 50 years younger. :lol: What can I say, he's Willie. He don't waste time, he sings the songs you came to hear. And at the time (almost 10 years ago) he was in good shape and the band was rocking.

Bottom line: It's Willie. If I could afford the tickets I'd go as long as it wasn't at some steaming hot outdoor drug-fest like Bonnaroo. :lol:

3. 8upSS

8upSS Tele-Holic

Qualifying statement: I like Willie. I respect his talent and his place in music history.

But...

The "Timing/Phrasing" thing drives me nuts. I'm not a "do it just like the record" stickler by any means, but it's to distracting for me.

May be a whole different vibe live, but based on what I have seen on the "Farm Aid" broadcasts on DTV I would not buy a ticket (and I'm sure that just breaks Willies heart).

JMHO
    YMMV
    BYOB

4. david_lewis93

david_lewis93 Tele-Holic

I dont live far at all from ABBOT or Carals Corner so you never can tell when you may see the bus pull through,(12 miles from Abbot and 22 miles from the corner.)

bend em tight and let er scream.

5. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

GO

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I would expect he plays those kind of gigs as much for his own enjoyment as anything else.

7. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

Exactly!

His latency on phrasing makes him, HIM!

I like how he talks through certain lines. The twang in his voice does it every time for me...

8. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

He was rockin' when I saw him and his kid plays with him sometimes, he's very good too. I saw him with Dylan a couple years ago.

9. theHUSTLER

theHUSTLER Tele-Meister

he mumbles through his songs now:(

i love willie though

10. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Willie was just on PBS Soundstage a couple of weeks ago, doing songs from his upcoming album, and I never heard him mumble or talk his way through the songs.

Back in 1990 I ran follow spot for part of a Willie Tour (the year he had Marty Stuart with Ray Flack as his opining act), and I would have to say that he sounds better now then he did back then.

11. roger ebelrin

roger ebelrin Tele-Holic

I saw him a few years ago witht "The Dead" I guess its been a few years but he was great then. His timing has always set him apart from everyone else. Patsy Cline had to change "Crazy" to a more normal sound. Willie is great. I'd see him before Dylan.

12. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

absolutley, especially if you haven't seen him before.

willie/ the dead? did they jam together? i always felt willie's guitar style would have meshed with them perfectly...

13. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

I forgot to mention Dylan was horrible he played piano for the entire show and he looked like a corpse, very little movement.

14. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

Saw Willie 2 weeks ago and it was great,as always ..........but this time was better because I was in the 2nd row and He gave Me His pick at the end of the set!!!!!

15. Reno Sepulveda

Reno Sepulveda Tele-Afflicted

16. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Good. I'm supposed to go see him in May.

17. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

Yeah! Willie finished and went to the front of the stage to greet folks and sign whatever people were smart enough to bring ,I saw Guitars ,bandanas whatever ,Maybe because it was a smaller venue?(the Grove in O.C.) but He made sure everybody who wanted to shake His hand or get something signed DID ,He looked a little tired from the show,and I heard (couldn't confirm) that He had a run in with O.C's finest and some of His band was ahhhh..........Detained? not sure BUT He had a way smaller band than I had ever seen Him play with :His Son on Guitar a bass player and His sis on piano and of course Paul on percussion and another percussionist but he was about 6 people short of the last time I saw Him,did anyone hear about another bust? anyway He looked like he had a lot on His mind but He still took the time to satisfy all the fans ,AND I GOT THE PICK! I love Willie

18. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool, Billy B. But, unless Willie has one heck of a vertical leap, I won't get very close to him (balcony seats were all they had available in Williamsport).

19. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but You could wait by the bus when it's over ,He really could not be any nicer ,as We all would expect

20. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

i was thinking about seeing him in Munique/ Germany , but when I looked at the ticket prizes from 100 - 160 $US for his show, i refrained.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.